AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Audio related pet peeves (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=7803)

jdandy 03-27-2011 10:41 PM

Audio related pet peeves

Today I found myself thinking about a few audio related pet peeves, things that get under my skin all the time, sometimes, or just every now and then depending on my mood. I thought this might make an interesting topic of discussion.

Our conversations usually center on projecting anticipation, joy, satisfactions, even complete awe and elation when speaking of our gear. When speaking on the subject of audio in general, we occasionally have quibbles about gear problems, warranty issues, or confusion about how to operate a piece of gear. What we seldom let see the light of day are the things that irritate us about our audio hobby. This is most likely because, for the most part, we are an educated and well mannered group, and keep those issues to ourselves. Still, I thought it might be interesting to air some of the issues that fluff our feathers from time to time.

I'll start. It generally always irritates me when the first comment someone has to say about my system or a single piece of gear is the old question, "How much did that cost?" Honestly, what does that have to do with anything. If the conversation is centered on what something costs, that is a different story, but when you are simply sharing your system or showing off a new piece of gear, the last thing I want to hear is that question. It gets under my skin, and I consider it rude and thoughtless, particularly as a first comment. Personally, I was taught that it is bad manners to inquire the value of someone elses possessions. If you are truly interested in an item's value, there are plenty of resources available without demonstrating inconsiderate behavior.

You can be sure I have more pet peeves, but for now I will open the discussion. Lets hear about your pet peeves related to audio in general.

tdelahanty 03-27-2011 10:56 PM

The Pet Peeve I love

"I could never hear the difference anyway, no point having a stereo that expensive." Never fails when I play something they always hear the difference and comment how wonderful it sounds. :D

chessman 03-27-2011 10:57 PM

"How much did that cost?" is closely followed by the "Are you kidding?" comment when you tell them. Now I just say "A lot."

Masterlu 03-27-2011 11:17 PM

My pet audio peeve is a sloppy installation; usually one done in haste. For me neatness counts, I don't like seeing wires where they aren't supposed to be.

Vintage Pete 03-27-2011 11:19 PM

"Why would anyone want to fill their living room up and spend that kind of money? I have a friend who has a Bose system and you should hear it!"

(maybe this type of topic should be broken down into sub-topics: Things that irrate us about the hobby itself, and comments from others that irritate us).

Pete

Vintage Pete 03-27-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 153644)
My pet audio peeve is a sloppy installation; usually one done in haste. For me neatness counts, I don't like seeing wires where they aren't supposed to be.

+1, big time Ivan. I'm a stickler for neatness. :thumbsup:

Pete

metaphacts 03-27-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 153644)
My pet audio peeve is a sloppy speaker installation; usually one done with a laser, a tape measure, and a masking tape grid. For me sound counts, I don't like hearing speakers where they aren't supposed to be.

Fixed it for you..er me Ivan. :smoking:

Masterlu 03-27-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 153647)
+1, big time Ivan. I'm a stickler for neatness. :thumbsup:

Pete

Tell me about it Pete...

I used a 6' level to make sure all my MC1.2KW's in the Cape were lined up perfectly; both vertically & horizontally. :)

Masterlu 03-27-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 153648)
Fixed it for you..er me Ivan. :smoking:

You sure did Bill! :thumbsup:

Vintage Pete 03-27-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 153649)
Tell me about it Pete...

I used a 6' level to make sure all my MC1.2KW's in the Cape were lined up perfectly; both vertically & horizontally. :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !!

Visual symmetry is very important....I sit there and study the appearance of my rig (the main one especially) to be sure that the gear on the upper and lower levels are all in alignment visually. Okay, I don't go so far as using a 6" level, but I will use visual reference points with a pretty good degree of accuracy. I also strive to keep wiring as neat as possible and and out of sight as much as possible.

It does not surprise me at all that you would use a 6' level to line up your amps, etc. :no: :D

Pete