AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Clearaudio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   CA Innovation - 9" or 12" Universal Arm (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42508)

80B 03-19-2018 08:50 PM

CA Innovation - 9" or 12" Universal Arm

I'm considering the Innovation wood turntable, the CA Universal tonearm is the natural mate.

The question is, what are your thoughts about a 9" vs. 12" length? My understanding is that the 12" can be better if everything is set very well, but that if something is off, the 12" is less forgiving. How much of a difference would there truly be? At the level of the Innovation or either model of tonearm, the money is not too significant an issue, but all the same I'd rather not spend extra if I don't need to.

Boss-girl and I are debating color, but both leaning towards black for the tonearm and tonearm base, especially after seeing mulveling's setup. Any way you look at this TT and tonearm combo, it's kick-a**.

PHC1 03-19-2018 09:05 PM

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...9-inch.160680/

Masterlu 03-19-2018 09:29 PM

Paul... I am using 12” tonearms FWIW.

vintage_tube 03-19-2018 09:47 PM

Skip to around the 5:00 mark -- Fremer makes a pitch for his preference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu34LGTAxvE

Best Sirs,

Bob

80B 03-20-2018 07:12 AM

Gents, thanks for the feedback. Very helpful indeed! :thumbsup:

silversurfer6 03-20-2018 07:46 AM

I also pair the 12” black Universal with my Innovation Wood. Did not really research this topic though.

silversurfer6 03-21-2018 05:10 AM

I also chose the VTA lifter option for my tonearm. This is the part: TA053/VTA/B Universal Tonearm Black Carbon Fiber with VTA Lifter.

Please note that you can order this tonearm with balanced outputs from Clearaudio.

Weirdcuba 03-21-2018 09:10 AM

I have the VTA lifter (which I rarely use) and the silver 9 inch arm (due in part to fremer’s remark on this video). Absolutely love it.

Formerly YB-2 03-21-2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 907222)
............ the silver 9 inch arm (due in part to fremer’s remark on this video). Absolutely love it.

+1. Another vote for the 9" TA.

80B 03-23-2018 11:32 PM

Placed my order with Ivan yesterday for the Innovation Wood with 9" Universal TA. VTA and Da Vinci Cartridge to round it out. As always, advice and help from AAers here, and Ivan's guidance in getting the right setup make the system something to be enjoyed for a very long time indeed! :thumbsup:

PHC1 03-24-2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80B (Post 907765)
Placed my order with Ivan yesterday for the Innovation Wood with 9" Universal TA. VTA and Da Vinci Cartridge to round it out. As always, advice and help from AAers here, and Ivan's guidance in getting the right setup make the system something to be enjoyed for a very long time indeed! :thumbsup:

Congrats Paul, great choice. :thumbsup:

vintage_tube 03-24-2018 12:16 AM

You will be set & happy for a very, very long time Paul. Great decision & choice in cartridge too.

I don't see it in your signature, but a bit of advise from a long time vinyl lover & someone who took a while to heed reviews and owners comments -- invest in an ultra sonic cleaner. I guarantee you will NEVER say that was a waste or terrible purchase. Your new analog gear will also respond appropriately.

Best Sir,

Bob

docmd2010 03-25-2018 07:24 AM

+1 to Bobs suggestion!

docmd2010 03-25-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80B (Post 907765)

Paul,

Congrats on the purchase of your new Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9 inch arm and Da Vinci Cart.

It will be an absolute delight.

I also have a Clearaudio table and I have a few suggestions.

There are four things that I did that significantly improved my analog experience that you may want to consider.

1. I put it on top of an HRS SXR signature rack with an M3X shelf. Really helped isolate the table from the rest of the room. This is strongly recommended, but depending on your room, may not be mandatory.
2. Clearaudio peripheral ring clamp, a must IMO.
3. Stillpoints LPI, also a must IMO.
4. Audiodesk Pro Ultrasonic RCM, an absolute must. I think the KL Audio cleaner would work well too, but the Audiodesk was more what I was looking for. I have a VPI 16.5, and although it does a great job, it doesn't get deep into the groove and clean like the Audiodesk (or KL Audio for that matter). My records sound so much better after they go through the Audiodesk.

Once you hit these 4 points (assuming you already have a phono stage), you are set for life. The table you just purchased will outlive you. My table is by far my favorite piece in my system.

Enjoy!:music::music::music:

Antonmb 03-25-2018 11:09 AM

Congratulations on a beautiful table.

80B 03-25-2018 11:48 AM

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the encouragement and advice. Aditya and Bob, the RCM will probably be the next big move (Bob, your writeup on that Audio Desk Pro really laid things out well), and we definitely have the Stillpoints clamp and CA ring on the radar. I'm probably set with the rack for the foreseeable future, but will see what happens when we get things dialed in. We're getting close to getting a few other things settled in the system, and I'm really looking forward to listening, even before the TT makes it over from Germany.

kleinbje 03-26-2018 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docmd2010 (Post 907971)
Paul,

Congrats on the purchase of your new Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9 inch arm and Da Vinci Cart.

It will be an absolute delight.

I also have a Clearaudio table and I have a few suggestions.

There are four things that I did that significantly improved my analog experience that you may want to consider.

1. I put it on top of an HRS SXR signature rack with an M3X shelf. Really helped isolate the table from the rest of the room. This is strongly recommended, but depending on your room, may not be mandatory.
2. Clearaudio peripheral ring clamp, a must IMO.
3. Stillpoints LPI, also a must IMO.
4. Audiodesk Pro Ultrasonic RCM, an absolute must. I think the KL Audio cleaner would work well too, but the Audiodesk was more what I was looking for. I have a VPI 16.5, and although it does a great job, it doesn't get deep into the groove and clean like the Audiodesk (or KL Audio for that matter). My records sound so much better after they go through the Audiodesk.

Once you hit these 4 points (assuming you already have a phono stage), you are set for life. The table you just purchased will outlive you. My table is by far my favorite piece in my system.

Enjoy!:music::music::music:

I am a new Clearaudio Innovation Compact Wood/U9 owner now running a Koetsu RSP, have the ring clamp on order. I use a scuttle 3 which is a great isolation device. I am using the HRS Heavy record clamp and have been thrilled with the performance, better than the vpi with ring clamp. Will the stillpoints weight make a big difference on a clearaudio table, have you tried the HRS? I also want to second the fact the an Audiodesk is a must. Ridiculously expensive, but takes the OCD out of record collecting and playing. Changed the way I heard vinyl forever, like my Vpi Aries, and now my Innovation CW. Amazing deck and arm.

80B 04-04-2018 08:10 AM

The anticipation mounts - unit has been shipped from Germany. A $24.99 cartridge was delivered yesterday; I won't be practicing mounting techniques with the da Vinci, that's for sure!

xv21 04-04-2018 03:57 PM

What is the difference between Sixstream Super Wire and Direct Silver Wire?

mulveling 04-04-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80B (Post 909544)
The anticipation mounts - unit has been shipped from Germany. A $24.99 cartridge was delivered yesterday; I won't be practicing mounting techniques with the da Vinci, that's for sure!

LOL! I'm not even sure I could find a $25 cartridge to bolt to that Clearaudio if I tried. Looking forward to your thoughts on this great turntable (after upgrading the cartridge).

ChrisAZ 04-09-2018 12:41 PM

I was very close to buying the Innovation Compact Wood with Magnify arm but opted to spend the cash on an Ovation with a 9" Universal Arm. The Universal Arm is magnificent. It is easy to set up, but if you have the least bit of concern setting up the DaVinci can you find a local pro to do it for you for a fee? Otherwise you might want to invest in a Dr. Feickert protractor and a Fozgometer. Oh, and the KLAUDiO RCM is magnificent - I got mine from Ivan.

xv21 05-22-2018 06:40 PM

Do you use Sixstream Super Wire or Direct Silver Wire with Universal tonearm? Is there huge difference between Sixstream Super Wire and Direct Silver Wire?

80B 08-19-2018 11:18 PM

Here's a photo of the rack with the Clearaudio gear. Really loving it! The presentation is very neutral, quiet and with a soundstage that is 3-D.

In case anyone looks too closely, the pre-amp source selection in the photo wasn't on the TT - enjoying all the sources, that's for sure!

Sorry for the large size - i tried re-sizing the original twice to no avail.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=4803

audio bill 08-20-2018 08:07 AM

^^ Not seeing the photo referenced above. ^^

The Lost Bears 08-20-2018 11:37 AM

I have not really heard the Ovation so I can't comment on it. The Innovation Compact Wood is a very nice little table. The Universal arm is just excellent, I really love mine.

I am curious if most people use the stock ClearAudio phono cable with their Universal arm. I have thought about trying a different cable but my dealer doesn't think it is a good idea.

Weirdcuba 08-20-2018 10:15 PM

I use the stock cable with my innovation at my dealer’s strong suggestion. Since that suggestion didn’t involve any more $$,I went with it.

The Lost Bears 08-21-2018 09:11 PM

Thanks! That was basically my dealers position also. My thought was to maybe move to a Shunyata cable that matches my other cables. But I guess it is a case of if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Fabio 01-30-2021 04:32 PM

Longer arm is always best as long as your cart. will be okay with extra weight . Keep that in mind .