AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   DeVore Fidelity (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Silverbacks are home (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27117)

TommyC 06-12-2014 08:50 PM

Silverbacks are home

My (new to me) Silverbacks are home. However, there are some issues I need to sort out.

I'm getting fed up with all the small problems when buying used stuff. It's annoying. They prevented me from enjoying my gears immediately.

Good thing is, they are not as big/heavy as I thought. I will try to set them up ASAP. If not, I will email Dale to rescue me.

cmalak 06-12-2014 09:09 PM

Tommy...say more. What's going on?

jdandy 06-12-2014 09:14 PM

Tommy.......What a teaser post that is.

dirtbag 06-12-2014 09:53 PM

We don't care about the issues.
We just want to see some pics!:D

Masterlu 06-12-2014 10:31 PM

Spill... ;)

http://redtrouserdays.files.wordpres...rist-chair.jpg

TommyC 06-14-2014 02:35 AM

Speakers are singing now. I'm using my cheap Arcam receiver to burn-it in for a week or so. It actually sounds pretty decent. I'm surprised. Hopefully with the special burn-in disc, the precess can be shortened.

Jerome W 06-14-2014 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC
Speakers are singing now. I'm using my cheap Arcam receiver to burn-it in for a week or so. It actually sounds pretty decent. I'm surprised. Hopefully with the special burn-in disc, the precess can be shortened.

"Pretty Decent" ?
I am surprised too by the choice of the words. I thought that those would completely smoke the GM's even with a cheap Arcam receiver.

Now how do they sound with the Shindo gear ?

TommyC 06-14-2014 03:31 AM

Jerome,

The Arcam is plugged into a $5 extension cord to a $1 receptacle via the supplied power cord. My Shindo system is wired with Shindo cables and Mr. T into a formidable Furutech GTX receptacle system.

I do have to say even with the Arcam, the Silverbacks sound fuller and go much deeper than the GM. I won't hook it up to the Shindo system for at least another week.

Jerome W 06-14-2014 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC
Jerome,

The Arcam is plugged into a $5 extension cord to a $1 receptacle via the supplied power cord. My Shindo system is wired with Shindo cables and Mr. T into a formidable Furutech GTX receptacle system.

I do have to say even with the Arcam, the Silverbacks sound fuller and go much deeper than the GM. I won't hook it up to the Shindo system for at least another week.

I prefer to read this Tommy !
But you are loosing one more week of your life :lmao: !

dirtbag 06-14-2014 11:12 AM

I don't think I would have your patience, Tommy.
I'd be using the Shindo. Enjoy:music:

Truemaineiac 06-14-2014 12:37 PM

What was the issue?

My silverbacks did take a while to break-in; you're going to really love them

TommyC 06-14-2014 02:36 PM

I'm a patient man :yes:

All issues have somewhat resolved.

First, there were supposed to be 3 packages. 2 speaker crates, and 1 accessory box. The accessory box (grills, manuals, etc) was no where to be found. I assumed it was tucked in one of the crates, but no!.

I thought the previous owner didn't send them to the dealer. But, there were 3 tracking #s and they all got delivered. The dealer said he never got the 3rd package. I was freaking out a little bit at this point, because the speakers were shipped 2 months ago. After some searching, the dealer found the 3rd package :banana:

Second, there were 6 missing screws at the back. Turned out he was testing the speaker and didn't want to put all the screws in until the test was completed as there are a dozen or so screws for the back plate.

Third, one of the binding posts got slightly damaged. It wasn't during shipment because the outer box and plastic wrapping were intact. No functional issue, just cosmetic.

The dealer was very courteous and was very apologetic. He shipped the 3rd box with screws within 24 hrs. The binding post can't be fixed easily, so he compensated me for the damage. I wasn't expecting something like this.

All in all, a great dealer to work with :thumbsup:

Truemaineiac 06-14-2014 03:18 PM

All the dealers I know that are associated with Shindo and/or Devore are top class. They take care of their customers.

BigBear 06-14-2014 04:27 PM

Tommy:

Missing the third box must have been like getting a great toy for Xmas but Dad forgot to get the batteries......

Glad all is well now.....

AudioNut 06-14-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 614981)
My (new to me) Silverbacks are home. However, there are some issues I need to sort out.

Good thing is, they are not as big/heavy as I thought. I will try to set them up ASAP. If not, I will email Dale to rescue me.

Since I had not the foggiest idea what you were talking about Tommy, I quite naturally did a google search and I do agree that there may be some issues . . . but, they do look big and heavy to me . . ..

http://notesfromcamelidcountry.files...1/img_2868.jpg

Dominant Silverback Gorilla in the
Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda, Africa

Jerome W 06-14-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNut (Post 615409)

Since I had not the foggiest idea what you were talking about Tommy, I quite naturally did a google search and I do agree that there may be some issues . . . but, they do look big and heavy to me . . ..

Dominant Silverback Gorilla in the
Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda, Africa

:roflmao:

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Doug Lax 06-16-2014 10:37 AM

looks like his grill needs dusting

TommyC 06-20-2014 10:11 PM

Just hooked the Silverbacks to the main Shindo system. With >200 hrs, they sound at least as good as a fully broken in GM. More relaxed actually. Imaging is on par if not better then the stand mounts. I feel there is still room for improvement as I run it in more, especially in the bass area.

I will be going over my CD/SACD one by one. Photos will have to wait since the room is quite messy at the moment.

jdandy 06-20-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Lax (Post 615879)
looks like his grill needs dusting

Doug.......That's funny. I bet you don't get away with trying to touch the Silverback tweeter, either. . :no: . :D