AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Hobby Forum (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Model Trains (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=17659)

Doug Lax 12-04-2012 02:19 AM

Model Trains

2 Attachment(s)
I have an LGB train with 5 cars that go around the tree.
Anyone else in the model train hobby?

TommyC 12-04-2012 03:40 AM

I have a few Marklin train sets.

Vintage Pete 12-04-2012 06:25 AM

I'm interested in the hobby; I recently acquired an N scale set from my boss. The trouble is I really don't have the room to set up a layout. I like the HO scale the best but that's even more of a problem in terms of space requirements... :dunno:

Pete

Mikado463 12-04-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 405428)
I'm interested in the hobby; I recently acquired an N scale set from my boss. The trouble is I really don't have the room to set up a layout.

Pete, you can easily put together a very nice layout on a 4x8 sheet of plywood !

Anyways, lifelong modeler here, presently modeling 'G' gauge, outdoors, live steam.

I'm in the process of constructing a small (O gauge) layout for the grandchildren that will be under the X-mas tree

GaryProtein 12-04-2012 10:45 AM

A departed uncle of mine was an HO train enthusiast. His basement was filled with train supplied and layouts. At its peak when he was in his early 60's, it was about 20 x 20 feet. By profession, he was a dentist and carved and built his own trains and life-like scenery with open fields, waterways, cities and mountains. He had turntables and all sorts of train "garages" (I don't know what they are called in train lingo).

When we were kids, we loved to go down there and play with his trains. It kept us busy for hours. Of course, he didn't give us his deluxe hand made locomotives to use unless he was beside us, but his "second rate" trains were much better than I had as a youngster at home.

It's a great hobby. If I had the time, I might entertain doing it myself.

Mikado463 12-04-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 405491)
He had turntables and all sorts of train "garages" (I don't know what they are called in train lingo).

back in the day when turntables were utilized they were call a 'Roundhouse'....today with the absence of turntable it's simply an 'engine house'

custodian 01-25-2013 06:20 PM

My main hobby. Attic full of HO German models, all DCC sound equipped. Garden has large G scale railway to enjoy with beer and BBQ.

Mikado463 04-04-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by custodian (Post 432948)
. Garden has large G scale railway to enjoy with beer and BBQ.

any 'live steam' ?

tdelahanty 04-04-2013 08:56 PM

I have modelled HO and O, and collected N,HO,O. Currently my wife and I built and operate an O scale layout, mainly we operate Lionel TMCC and Legacy (digital remote control).
Some time ago I posted pics of our layout, buy can't remember what thread they're in.

Mikado463 04-04-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdelahanty (Post 473602)
Some time ago I posted pics of our layout, buy can't remember what thread they're in.

find 'em .....I'd love to see them !

so.....'audio, trains and Mustangs'....... oh well two out of three aint bad !!