AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Do non-powered subwoofers exist ... ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=6099)

joeinid 11-09-2010 02:05 PM

Do non-powered subwoofers exist ... ?

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone knows if high quality non-powered subs are available so I could add my own amplifier(s). That would get me in a little cheaper yet still have all the benefits.

Thanks!

Joe

Face 11-09-2010 02:08 PM

Would this be for HT or music?

How would you fine tune phase, gain, crossover frequency and slope?

Still-One 11-09-2010 02:12 PM

I had a non powered sub that I sold earlier this year when I broke down one of my surround systems. It was a bi NHT unit that could be used with a matching amp.

joeinid 11-09-2010 02:14 PM

I was hoping to add a Bryston 10B sub crossover and my own amps. Am I missing something? Subs are new to me and I would only use them for music. I planned on getting 1 or 2 JL Audio subs but the budget is a bit strained at the moment.

Joe

Face 11-09-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 117178)
I was hoping to add a Bryston 10B sub crossover and my own amps. Am I missing something? Subs are new to me and I would only use them for music. I planned on getting 1 or 2 JL Audio subs but the budget is a bit strained at the moment.

Joe

In that case you should be ok. Just curious, what sub do you plan on buying and which amp(s) will you be using?

joeinid 11-09-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face (Post 117180)
In that case you should be ok. Just curious, what sub do you plan on buying and which amp(s) will you be using?

Hi Face,

I have not picked out any JL subs yet. Still looking at them and the idea of non-powered subs with my amps popped in my head.

If I use the MC402 on the mains, I thought I'd try the Spectron(s) on the subs. Sort of an experiment, but I don't want to waste time/money.

Joe

Omerta 11-09-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 117183)
Hi Face,

I have not picked out any JL subs yet. Still looking at them and the idea of non-powered subs with my amps popped in my head.

If I use the MC402 on the mains, I thought I'd try the Spectron(s) on the subs. Sort of an experiment, but I don't want to waste time/money.

Joe

Passive subs are not as popular because powered subs use D class amps and are able to get big power for cheap. On the other hand, you can easily get a pair of W7 JL subs and purchase or build the enclosure to specs.

Masterlu 11-09-2010 03:11 PM

Joe, get an F112 and never look back. :yes:

joeinid 11-09-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 117189)
Joe, get an F112 and never look back. :yes:

Thanks Ivan, I was just looking at JL's website and seeing what's available. I know 2:yes: is always better than 1:no:, but I have to start somewhere:scratch2:. We'll have to talk 'cause I'll need a Bryston 10B-sub to go with it. When will it end ...

That JL W7 looks pretty cool.

ps. I really like the MC402:banana:

Joe

Masterlu 11-09-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 117193)
Thanks Ivan, I was just looking at JL's website and seeing what's available. I know 2:yes: is always better than 1:no:, but I have to start somewhere:scratch2:. We'll have to talk 'cause I'll need a Bryston 10B-sub to go with it. When will it end ...

That JL W7 looks pretty cool.

ps. I really like the MC402:banana:

Joe

Yup, you can always add a 2nd F112 down the road. :yes:

I got you covered on the Bryston 10-B too. When does it end, I guess when they carry you away. :confused-18: