AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Buying on blind faith (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=947)

1KW 05-24-2009 12:04 AM

Buying on blind faith

I purchased both my MCD500 and MC501's on the recommendations of many of the members here on AA. Have you purchased stereo equipment on blind faith ?:scratch2: Now I find that my cables will probably be a purchase on blind faith.

gregswaim 05-24-2009 12:24 AM

MCD500. It's the best playback source that I've ever owned so far. :banana: Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

jdandy 05-24-2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 16587)
Now I find that my cables will probably be a purchase on blind faith.

David.......It is not really blind faith when you have resources, and seasoned opinions available to help you make a decision.

Blind faith is pissing into the wind, hoping not to get wet. A competent guide can help assure better results.

Masterlu 05-24-2009 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 16594)
Blind faith is pissing into the wind, hoping not to get wet.

:laughin:

Carbonman 05-24-2009 01:12 AM

I bought on blind faith when I replaced my stolen mostly Mc system with the closest (or only) equivalent components from McIntosh currently available. It was a huge step up sonically from what it replaced.
The MCD201 was the only item that didn't quite live up to my expectations in all aspects. Even so, if I'd had a big listening room to mask the between tracks mechanical click, I might still have it in my livingroom rack.

streetspirit 05-24-2009 01:55 AM

I just purchased a new MCD500 based on the help from those in this forum. It was my first ever audio purchase. Although, I am slowly starting my set-up (no amps or speakers yet) I at least have an awesome source to anchor my system to be... :yes:

1KW 05-24-2009 06:15 AM

I should have said in my initial post that both the MCD500 and MC501's have been fabulous additions and have exceeded my expectations :D

US Blues 05-24-2009 08:52 AM

Buying electronics and cables based on the recommendations available here is not blind faith, as has been noted above.

Speakers (with the exception of JL subs) and a TT/cartridge combo I believe require direct auditioning since there is much more variability in that gear.

Sproink 05-24-2009 09:37 AM

I'll often purchase based on experience, sometimes based on articles, but usually based on my own ears and eyes. Occasionally, I'll buy something on a lark, because I'm curious...sometimes it's a success, and sometimes...not...then off it goes to AudiogoN.

Masterlu 05-24-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by US Blues (Post 16616)
Buying electronics and cables based on the recommendations available here is not blind faith, as has been noted above.

Speakers (with the exception of JL subs) and a TT/cartridge combo I believe require direct auditioning since there is much more variability in that gear.

A big +1 :yes: