AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   McIntosh MS750 Fan Swap Out (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=427)

jdandy 04-21-2009 06:04 PM

McIntosh MS750 Fan Swap Out

10 Attachment(s)
REPRINT: December 2008

Well, it's done. My new Silenx Ixtrema 12 dBA fan is installed in the MS750. I started by removing the stock fan, slid the black tube wire protector back up the existing wires and taped it to stay in place. I cut the black and red fan wires, and stripped 1/16" of the insulation off the end of each wire. I trimmed the new fan's wires to about six inches and cut the rpm wire shorter since I did not need it. I slipped short pieces of shrink tubing on the black and red factory wires, silver soldered the new fan wires to the factory wires, paying attention to polarity. I slid the shrink tubing over the solder joints, used a heat gun to shrink the tubing, and then slid the factory wire protector tube back in place over the shrink tubing. I placed the fan back inside the cabinet, label side out for proper air flow, installed the four new screws that came with the fan, plugged in the MS750 to test the fan, and all was well. I reinstalled the MS750 top cover, and put the MS750 back into my system. It took less than 30 minutes. I have posted photos in the order of the installation.

Although the new fan is not dead silent, it is considerably quieter than the stock fan. If I stand directly in front of the MS750 I can hear the fan softly. From my listening sweet spot I can barely hear the fan, and I have to make an effort to hear it. It is much quieter than the stock fan, and a major reduction in noise level. I am pleased with the results.

Masterlu 04-21-2009 06:19 PM

This mod is much easier than it looks like. I did three of mine in less than an hour. Removing them from the cabinet was the only drag.

I think I'll include the new "quiet" fan with every new server I sell. :yes:

-E- 04-21-2009 08:56 PM

It's a shame they just didn't go with a larger, slower spinning fan.

jdandy 04-21-2009 09:01 PM

Vesuvius.......The Silenx Ixtrema fan is very quiet compared to the stock fan, less than half the dB's.

mike175gr 04-22-2009 03:03 AM

I have an extra one of the Silenx Ixtrema 12dba fans if anybody is interested.. (I bought two for some reason!)

jdandy 04-22-2009 03:13 AM

mike175gr.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. Glad you finally found us.

Pyro 04-22-2009 03:51 AM

What size is the fan?

Does the new fan stay on all the time or does it operate like the stock fan?

Masterlu 04-22-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klipschpyro (Post 6983)
What size is the fan?

Does the new fan stay on all the time or does it operate like the stock fan?

It's an exact replacement, & will operate just like the stock fan. :yes:

Pyro 05-09-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 6716)
REPRINT: December 2008

Well, it's done. My new Silenx Ixtrema 12 dBA fan is installed in the MS750. I started by removing the stock fan, slid the black tube wire protector back up the existing wires and taped it to stay in place. I cut the black and red fan wires, and stripped 1/16" of the insulation off the end of each wire. I trimmed the new fan's wires to about six inches and cut the rpm wire shorter since I did not need it. I slipped short pieces of shrink tubing on the black and red factory wires, silver soldered the new fan wires to the factory wires, paying attention to polarity. I slid the shrink tubing over the solder joints, used a heat gun to shrink the tubing, and then slid the factory wire protector tube back in place over the shrink tubing. I placed the fan back inside the cabinet, label side out for proper air flow, installed the four new screws that came with the fan, plugged in the MS750 to test the fan, and all was well. I reinstalled the MS750 top cover, and put the MS750 back into my system. It took less than 30 minutes. I have posted photos in the order of the installation.

Although the new fan is not dead silent, it is considerably quieter than the stock fan. If I stand directly in front of the MS750 I can hear the fan softly. From my listening sweet spot I can barely hear the fan, and I have to make an effort to hear it. It is much quieter than the stock fan, and a major reduction in noise level. I am pleased with the results.

Finally got around to installing this mod. My MS750 is up and running with the new fan.

Thanks,
DAN :thumbsup:

jdandy 05-09-2009 03:46 PM

Rob.......Happy to hear everything worked out. Are you pleased with the noise reduction?

I see you did a little surgery on your AA handle.