AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Turntable Upgrade Time (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42503)

Volks 03-19-2018 02:16 AM

Turntable Upgrade Time

3 Attachment(s)
Well time for a TT change/upgrade . So far I have compiled 3 contenders that I like in no particular order 1: Rega RP10 Turntable with Aphelion cartridge 2: McIntosh MT 10 with the DA VINCI V2 Cartridge. 3: Clearaudio Innovation Wood with Clearaudio Universal tonearm .
.......any thoughts/opinions or suggestions?

Attachment 54516

Attachment 54517

Attachment 54518

docmd2010 03-19-2018 03:32 AM

Turntable Upgrade Time

My vote would be the clearaudio innovation.

I own the master version of this table. Our forum host, Ivan, also has the innovation which I have heard at his house.

It is an amazing table. Very quiet. The universal tonearm is built like a tank and very easy to use. Plus, in my opinion, the innovation table is beautiful to look at.

80B 03-19-2018 07:27 AM

Volks - I'm getting the itch too - the Innovation with the 9" Universal has been on my radar for quite a while. Have spoken with a few people, including Ivan about it, and believe not only could you not do wrong with that combination, but that this is a "turntable for life" for most people.

Mikado463 03-19-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docmd2010 (Post 906771)
My vote would be the clearaudio innovation.
Plus, I my opinion the innovation table is beautiful to look at.

agreed, as opposed to the Mac which resembles a 'green headed' step child.

j3brow 03-19-2018 09:11 AM

Turntable Upgrade Time

Michael .... all 3 are excellent tables with their own strengths. I have owned two of these tables, MT10 w/ stock cartridge and currently the RP10 w/ Apheta 2.

The RP10 is a joy to use. Looks great, easy to setup and use, and sounds sooo good. Of course, the Aphelion will be ever better. A lot of TT for the least amount of money c/w the other 2 options. It also looks great with your McIntosh system.

I plan on buying another MT10 in near future and run with both the MT10 and RP10. I sold my MT10 almost 2 years ago now and I sorely miss it. I too will move up the CA cart ladder with either Stradivari or Da Vinci and likely a custom tuned HRS platform.

I have never heard the Innovaton and Universal arm but it certainly is a destination table. Add a hi end CA cart and you are all set. It’s the most expensive option of the 3 but long term happiness is all but guaranteed. Knowing how good the MT10 is w/ stock cart, I can only imagine how good the Innovation is. They share several of the same technologies. Resale value wise, most people like the looks of the innovation over the MT10, personally I find the MT10 stunning but that’s me.

As you know, a former member here ran the MT10 with a Goldfinger V2, the table is capable of scaling up the ladder to the top. He also owned the DaVinci V2 and was really impressed how it sounded and if he didn’t also own the Goldfinger and very familiar with its own sonic character, he could have been forever happy with the DaVinci.

Being a die hard Mc Guy like yourself, my vote would be for the MT10 and DaVinci cart. Heck, you can find used MT10s for $6-7k. Buy a new DaVinci and save the stock cart (which is actually darn good - cream of the crop Talisman V2). Guess that is my recommendation. You can’t go wrong with any of those tables.

Congrats on the eventual system upgrade.

docmd2010 03-19-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80B (Post 906793)
Volks - I'm getting the itch too - the Innovation with the 9" Universal has been on my radar for quite a while. Have spoken with a few people, including Ivan about it, and believe not only could you not do wrong with that combination, but that this is a "turntable for life" for most people.

My clearaudio turntable is certainly the last one I will be purchasing.

Audio 1 03-19-2018 09:12 AM

Based on the 3 choices I would recommend the Clearaudio.
The Innovation is built with flawless precision and sounds exquisite.

Formerly YB-2 03-19-2018 09:18 AM

Am sure they all sound great. However, based on matching the looks of the rest of your system, the MT10 is an easy first choice.

PHC1 03-19-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 906802)
agreed, as opposed to the Mac which resembles a 'green headed' step child.

Not that I have anything against the Mcintosh table but the comment made me laugh!
:lmao:

Clearly the Innovation table is the best choice here but at obvious and not insignificant price premium

mulveling 03-19-2018 11:24 AM

I've come to appreciate the Innovation tables more over the years. Love my Innovation Master, which I upgraded to last summer. In my mind, they are also without a doubt the best looking tables. Visually stunning in person.

I'd eliminate the McIntosh table right off the bat. It's made by Clearaudio, so why wouldn't you want Clearaudio's own vision for a high-end table? Functionally and aesthetically, that face-plate has no business being there.