AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magnepan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Serious update for Magnepan MG-1.6's (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2193)

Tonepub 09-19-2009 11:02 AM

Serious update for Magnepan MG-1.6's

Hey troops:

Going to have Sean of the Skiing Ninja co. stop by next month and install his new crossover kit in my 1.6's... If it's anything like his other crossover upgrades, it should be a big jump in fidelity.

Much as I love my Maggies, they use notoriously low grade parts in their crossovers and I have heard a few of the other modded Magnepans over the years and have always come away impressed with just how good the actual "panel" is.

We'll be using em in a great system for eval too, so I'll keep you all posted. If this is successful, he'll be doing it for the other models as well!

1KW 09-19-2009 01:46 PM

I have Magnepan MGIII's and would like some information about getting a new crossover or crossover upgrade.

jdandy 09-19-2009 02:35 PM

David......I knew Jeff's post would attract your attention. Maybe you might want to contact Sean.

Check out the Skiing Ninja website: Loudspeaker and Listening Room Upgrades - Skiing Ninja

1KW 09-19-2009 03:35 PM

I just finished refurbishing my magnepans. All the panel coils were reinforced to the mylar film with DAP glue , held in place until dry with bricks. New fabric from Magnepan installed today. The speakers look brand new. They sound as great too, just as I remembered them, no signs of any vibration. I will post pictures later . I am sure that the crossover's have been improved over the last 23 years, this would be a mod. I'd like to try.

1KW 09-20-2009 03:57 PM

Stereophile: Magnepan Magneplanar MGIIIA loudspeaker

I just found this old review of the Maggie MGIIIa's. The specs. show this to be a very neutral speaker.

Tonepub 09-22-2009 11:26 AM

I had a pair, they were great...

magnmac 09-25-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonepub (Post 38306)
Hey troops:

Going to have Sean of the Skiing Ninja co. stop by next month and install his new crossover kit in my 1.6's... If it's anything like his other crossover upgrades, it should be a big jump in fidelity.

Much as I love my Maggies, they use notoriously low grade parts in their crossovers and I have heard a few of the other modded Magnepans over the years and have always come away impressed with just how good the actual "panel" is.

We'll be using em in a great system for eval too, so I'll keep you all posted. If this is successful, he'll be doing it for the other models as well!

Should be a big improvement, but not as big as active bi-amping. I would spend the extra $; take the next step and go active. Not so say there wouldn't be a market for that though. There are just as huge differences reported in the replacement of the frame of the speakers from MDF to solid hardwood; so much can be done to improve these speakers. As you say, the drivers themselves are much better than what is had in the stock speaker.

Review of my experience with active biamplification still to come; been about 3 weeks and I am still in awe of the differences.

ehoove 09-26-2009 05:28 PM

I bi-amped mine last summer, and was amazed by the improvement. I too had to do the voice coil refurb and used DAP as well. Getting ready to do the hardwood frame upgrade, and will set them up for tri-amping at that time.
Regards,
Jim

1KW 09-26-2009 11:58 PM

Can anyone tell me if a aftermarket crossover is available for the Magnepan MGIII's or a schematic DIY ?

magnmac 09-30-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 39025)
Can anyone tell me if a aftermarket crossover is available for the Magnepan MGIII's or a schematic DIY ?

Check out the post from Neolith on the planar forum. There are some people doing this but not to sell; rather for their own benefit