AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   What computer software audio player? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45741)

Zelkop 05-06-2019 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my Roon ROCK server, if I succeed in attaching a photo :).

Antonmb 05-06-2019 02:41 PM

What computer software audio player?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 963989)
OK. Try "Dialogues of the Carmelites." It is an opera by Poulenc. Let me know what you get, please.

I don’t own a recording of this one, but a search for “Dialogues of the Carmelites” gave me 3 Tidal and Qobuz results under”albums”:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-2MPGsDH-L.png

Further down, under “Compositions,” I got the French title, “Dialogues des Carmélites,” which lead to 10 recordings on Tidal and Qobuz.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-R7n8PK5-L.png

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-gGBnNQZ-L.png

Antonmb 05-06-2019 03:06 PM

Re classical searching, I find the bigger problem is the lack of standard titles for compositions, and that definitely throws Roon off. For instance I have 3 digital versions of Bach’s orchestral suites. If I search for “orchestral suites” only two of them show up, because someone decided to title the Neville Mariner recording “Suites for Orchestra.” Oddly enough, if I search for “suites for orchestra” they all show up. Another good example is Bach’s “The Well-Tempered Clavier,” which half the time is in the German “Das Wohltemperierte Klavier,” even though it may be an American recording.

nicoff 05-06-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 964009)
Re classical searching, I find the bigger problem is the lack of standard titles for compositions, and that definitely throws Roon off. For instance I have 3 digital versions of Bach’s orchestral suites. If I search for “orchestral suites” only two of them show up, because someone decided to title the Neville Mariner recording “Suites for Orchestra.” Oddly enough, if I search for “suites for orchestra” they all show up. Another good example is Bach’s “The Well-Tempered Clavier,” which half the time is in the German “Das Wohltemperierte Klavier,” even though it may be an American recording.

Totally agree about classical music metadata being a mess. That's one reason why metadata software is a must-have for anyone with a classical music library. In a multidisc album, I seen discs in different languages!

Puma Cat 05-06-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 964009)

Very good post, Tony.

Yes, I think the problem is that the classical music recording companies do not use a standard method, terminology or lexicon for labeling their recordings of a given piece of music. I have a really nice DG recording of Rodrigo's Concerto de Andaluz and Concerto de Aranjuez, but the album name is Rodrigo "Panorama".

Kal Rubinson 05-06-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 963993)
I don't own this recording so it would not show up in a search.

I do not either but it should also search Qobuz and I know they have it. So, if I run the search, it runs for several minutes until I abort it. If I run the search for only "Carmelites," I get a relatively quick response but it includes more extraneous answers than the relevant ones.

Quote:

Roon is very responsive to customer input, this is clear from the frequency and nature of updates. If you wrote to them and provided them with your recommendations for addtional features and functionality, I'm confident they would act on it. Its clear that they want to make the experience for customers to be as good as possible.
I am in touch with them personally and frequently. There are fundamental differences that are not likely to be bridged.

Kal Rubinson 05-06-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 964007)
I don’t own a recording of this one, but a search for “Dialogues of the Carmelites” gave me 3 Tidal and Qobuz results under”albums”:..........................
Further down, under “Compositions,” I got the French title, “Dialogues des Carmélites,” which lead to 10 recordings on Tidal and Qobuz.

Wow. I could not get any such results until I searched for "Carmelites" and then the results included lots of extraneous options.

How long did that take, btw?

I just ran the search again and, this time, I got the same results as you did and within seconds. I wonder if it has to do with the database learning from all of the searches that I did last week and that I might have encouraged others to do.

Antonmb 05-06-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 964031)
Wow. I could not get any such results until I searched for "Carmelites" and then the results included lots of extraneous options.

How long did that take, btw?

I just ran the search again and, this time, I got the same results as you did and within seconds. I wonder if it has to do with the database learning from all of the searches that I did last week and that I might have encouraged others to do.

Took a few seconds.