AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   JL Audio F113 v2 vs. F113 v1 differences experienced by a newb (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34666)

markbodiford 02-08-2016 12:19 PM

JL Audio F113 v2 vs. F113 v1 differences experienced by a newb

Observations from a non-audiophile...

At the default settings, the v2 has significantly more cone travel than the v1.

If the two are set up in a Master/Slave configuration, the v1 has less output.

My receiver has dual sub out. I have the Fathom 'Defeat' setting enabled on both. If I wire them independently to Denon, I have to increase level on the v1. The v2 stays about 1 o'clock, the v1 stays around 3pm. This is what it takes to me to have the cone travel appear similar.

I would suggest that the v2 is a significant improvement.

j3brow 02-08-2016 03:41 PM

Thanks for the comparisons. Good to know.

I just got my f110v2 hooked up. I'm floored how good these JL subs are.

Absolutely wipes the floor compared with older REL B2 subs I had. This single JL 10 has more balls than a pair of REL B2s. Not even close.

Easy to tweak and blend in with mains. I'm sure I haven't maximized my blending yet but sounds damn good out of the gate.

nicoff 02-08-2016 04:18 PM

I am using V2 and V1 simultaneously in my system. They blend very well together. As for the volume, I am not sure that volume alone can determine one's superiority over the other. I know that the new version has a bigger amp, but I thought that it means that it has more power available when played very loud.

markbodiford 02-19-2016 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 758754)
I am using V2 and V1 simultaneously in my system. They blend very well together. As for the volume, I am not sure that volume alone can determine one's superiority over the other. I know that the new version has a bigger amp, but I thought that it means that it has more power available when played very loud.

Right, and to match the output of both I crank up the Master volume on the old one. Doesn't work with Master/Slave config though. You have to wire them independent to the receiver.

Kal Rubinson 02-19-2016 07:34 PM

You can do it with master/slave if you set them both to master and wire up the V2 first. Then you can set the level in the V1 but have it EQ-ed as a slave. Works for me.

markbodiford 03-06-2016 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 761292)
You can do it with master/slave if you set them both to master and wire up the V2 first. Then you can set the level in the V1 but have it EQ-ed as a slave. Works for me.

Thank you for the advice, just did as you suggested. Really nice not to have wasted a WW XLR cable

BlueSky 03-09-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbodiford (Post 758724)
Observations from a non-audiophile...

At the default settings, the v2 has significantly more cone travel than the v1.

If the two are set up in a Master/Slave configuration, the v1 has less output.

My receiver has dual sub out. I have the Fathom 'Defeat' setting enabled on both. If I wire them independently to Denon, I have to increase level on the v1. The v2 stays about 1 o'clock, the v1 stays around 3pm. This is what it takes to me to have the cone travel appear similar.

I would suggest that the v2 is a significant improvement.

(Psst. Don't look now but, if you have two JL subs, you may be an audiophile!)

nicoff 03-09-2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSky (Post 766019)
(Psst. Don't look now but, if you have two JL subs, you may be an audiophile!)

So... What happens if you have three? A home theater buff?!

Masterlu 03-09-2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 766159)
So... What happens if you have three? A home theater buff?!

http://izhevsk.ru/forums/icons/forum...5/10625110.gif