AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Aerial Acoustics (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Michael Kelly interview (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30317)

murphyb74 02-19-2015 04:30 PM

Michael Kelly interview

Michael Kelly talks about the past and future directions for Aerial Acoustics.

Aerial Acoustics' Michael Kelly Reveals Some Trade Secrets

Forte 4A 02-19-2015 07:19 PM

I had to laugh. The interviewer stated that when this story was printed the 5T would be out. I am an Aerial owner and love the product, but waiting for new models is like sitting around watching paint dry. Also the new center was supposed to be out before Christmas. Whenever I ask my dealer, who is a personal friend of Michael, when the new center is coming out he just smiles. Great speakers however speed is not their middle name.

murphyb74 02-19-2015 09:39 PM

His timetable may be off, but the results are worth the wait. He mentions a new model between the 7T and 20T in about a year - maybe a 14T? Should be interesting. He also mentions that the SR3 surround is discontinued. I had been reading about them, but never got to hear them.

Yamaki 02-19-2015 09:50 PM

Aerial is not a "jump into the fray" sort of firm that churns out model after model after model and I sort of admire that. They do a few things very very well vs. doing a lot of things in a so-so manner.

I've talked with Michael Kelly several times and he is such a personable gentleman, always willing to listen and answer questions about his products.

The only pair of speakers I'd throw my Aerial Acoustic 8's on would be a pair of 7T's.

clpetersen 02-22-2015 12:11 AM

6T's and 7T's

Read thru the interview link, great read. I did meet Michael at a local (Boston) event hosted by a nearby dealer. Enjoyed very much speaking with him. Purchased the 6T's that evening (summer 2014); they were the right footprint for our listening room. No regrets - great to look at; better to listen to. Since then we have been fortunate to expand our living space and now planning on adding the 7T's. Keeping the 6T's, don't even ask.

Sidenote: when the 6T's were delivered, directly from the Wilmington facility by our dealer, they mistakenly loaded the black versions although the 'rosenut' had been ordered. No problem, an Aerial person loaded up the rosenut version and they were at our home less than one hour later. Since everyone at Aerial is long-term, not only did I get the right cabinet finish, but I received some expert tips in placement and set-up. Outstanding.

joemc 03-06-2015 10:10 PM

I'm getting ready to take delivery of a pair of 6 t's can't wait. I auditioned the 6 t's the new magnepan 3.7's? And B&W 804's. I kept going back to 6 t's. I currently have a pair of Phase Technology PC 9.5's imo great speaker and a tremendous value. I have the Ayre AX-5 and an Ayre QB9 Dax with all transparent cables, Ultra.

My question, will I need a sub with the 6 t's?

I like the Phase Techs with no sub with most all music.

My listening basement area is about 15x15 and open to a larger area behind. The area is 3/4 walled off.

Who's running 6 t's?

Joe

Masterlu 03-07-2015 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joemc (Post 681145)
I'm getting ready to take delivery of a pair of 6 t's can't wait. I auditioned the 6 t's the new magnepan 3.7's? And B&W 804's. I kept going back to 6 t's. I currently have a pair of Phase Technology PC 9.5's imo great speaker and a tremendous value. I have the Ayre AX-5 and an Ayre QB9 Dax with all transparent cables, Ultra.

My listening basement area is about 15x15 and open to a larger area behind. The area is 3/4 walled off.

Who's running 6 t's?

Joe

Probably, I use a sub with my 7T's and 20T's

clpetersen 03-08-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joemc (Post 681145)
I'm getting ready to take delivery of a pair of 6 t's can't wait.

Who's running 6 t's?

Joe

I have the 6T's, running without sub. They put out surprising bass for their size as Michael Kelly uses 'long-throw' woofers. But if you want full bass, as Masterlu does, a sub won't hurt. Make sure it is a good one.