AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Mark Levinson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Is Mark Levinson any good these days? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13358)

Dj_AmTraX 04-05-2012 09:54 AM

Is Mark Levinson any good these days?

I remember falling in love with the No33H amps, but could not afford it. Is ML still ruined by ML now that Harman is the owner? I remember trying the smaller amps and did not like it when compared to McIntosh Mc352. Your thoughts these days?

http://www.skypeassholes.com/files/i...atts-x-1).jpeg

MyPal 04-05-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj_AmTraX
I remember falling in love with the No33H amps, but could not afford it. Is ML still ruined by ML now that Harman is the owner? I remember trying the smaller amps and did not like it when compared to McIntosh Mc352. Your thoughts these days?

Well, I can say that I loved these amps back then. I spent some time with them & they convinced me to buy the Dali Grands. I always wanted a pair of these or their bigger brother the No33 but the $AUD back then made them simply too expensive.

These amps are at an age now where they generally require recapping & ML amps are loaded with them.

I still have the Dali Grands & they sound the best they ever have with the MC2301s, C1000C/T, MCD1100.

I heard that ML aren't what they used to be since the Madrigal days.

psjl 04-05-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPal (Post 293045)
.........I heard that ML aren't what they used to be since the Madrigal days.

Agreed......I use to have the 20.5's, and loved them to bits.......Ever since Harman International came into the picture sometime in 2002 (I think), it really spelt the beginning of the end for Madrigal Audio Laboratories which eventually came about sometime in mid-2003 (I think) when Madrigal ceased to exist under the Harman International.......I do agree though that other than the 33 & 33H amps, everything else that came out after that, I feel, was pretty disappointing.......Today, over here in Asia, seasoned audiophiles often describe Mark Levinson's recent/current crop of gear as lacking "blood" (a literal translation from Chinese), meaning it sounds way to clinical/sterile without much spark or life.......Philip

Dj_AmTraX 04-05-2012 11:07 AM

How about a used pair of No33 vs. current Bryston or McIntosh?

psjl 04-05-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj_AmTraX (Post 293073)
How about a used pair of No33 vs. current Bryston or McIntosh?

Mike,

Personally I'ed go for current amps from Bryston or McIntosh, as opposed to getting a used pair of ML No. 33/33H monoblocks.

As MyPal rightly pointed out, it is highly likely that you may come across servicing issues like recapping given the length of time that ML No. 33/33H monoblocks have been around in the market.

Philip

Masterlu 04-05-2012 11:55 AM

ML never did it for me, even many years ago. Never understood all the fuss, or the price. :dunno:

Dj_AmTraX 04-05-2012 12:07 PM

Yeah the recap could cost a boat load of money.

Do all SS amps need a recap sooner or later? How does one know when it's time?

Car commander 04-05-2012 01:41 PM

I have an ML326S preamp that I really like. The ML436 and 433 have gotten decent press. I would rather have a Pass 250.5 or 350.5 in that price range.

Face 04-05-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj_AmTraX (Post 293107)
Yeah the recap could cost a boat load of money.

Any sort of service with ML gear is very expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj_AmTraX (Post 293107)
Do all SS amps need a recap sooner or later? How does one know when it's time?

Any piece of gear 30 years old. A little earlier couldn't hurt though. Usually the electrolytic power supply caps will start to go first, which will cause a hum through the speakers.

Still-One 04-05-2012 01:59 PM

ML is still quality product with good engineering behind it. Whether you would like it more than McIntosh , Bryston or any other gear is up to you. You will find proponents and detractors for every product. Sometimes aesthetics have a big impact on our decisions.

Jim