AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

timeout59 08-11-2016 09:45 AM

Back on July 21st I reported that my Inspire amp was driving Magnepan 3.7i speakers quite well. The music seemed more lifelike. After a few days though I started noticing a "thinness" and lack of body, so I went back to the SS amp. Put the Inspire away until I get more efficient speakers.

Two weeks ago saw a LP-27a on the auction site and bought it on impulse. I've been using it with the Inspire amp and the Maggies for 5 days and it is incredible. I almost starting laughing out loud the first time playing music, which is even more lifelike, has amazing presence and tone. There is definitely no longer any thinness or lack of body. I can get all the volume I need using KT-88's. The bass seems even better than with the SS amp but I'm still judging that. It just blows my mind how much better the LP-27a works with the Inspire amp compared to my CJ pre!

Analog Addict 08-11-2016 12:25 PM

Dennis' gear is all synergistic, and voiced with respect to each other. That's why it's so hard to make people understand how good the Inspire speakers sound unless they've heard them with an all Inspire pre amp/amp set up
in front of them.

Also, don't settle on the first set of 27s or even 27s themselves. Roll some globe 27s through it, along with several sets of 56s....

timeout59 08-11-2016 01:57 PM

Analog, don't forget to get back to me on Audiogon :scratch2:

I've been looking for some globe 27's and found a few on the auction site. Always just a little nervous buying from vendors I don't have experience with, even with 100% positive feedback. But heck these tubes are not expensive. That's another nice thing about these amps, no expensive triode tubes to buy.

Anyone have a current auction site vendor recommendation?

Although it didn't come with them, my LP-27a was pictured on the auction site with some great looking RCA 27 globes (and some nice knobs like ones Peter posted in this forum way back when). That's how I got interested in that tube, plus a cool link Dennis sent from vinylsavor, will try and paste it in here if AA will let me:

vinylsavor.blogspot.com/search/label/27

BTW, my LP-27a came with two sets of 27 tubes and one set of 56's. Dennis is one the nicest guys in this hobby I've ever come in contact with.

FloridaBoy 08-11-2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeout59 (Post 797296)
Back on July 21st I reported that my Inspire amp was driving Magnepan 3.7i speakers quite well. The music seemed more lifelike. After a few days though I started noticing a "thinness" and lack of body, so I went back to the SS amp. Put the Inspire away until I get more efficient speakers.

Two weeks ago saw a LP-27a on the auction site and bought it on impulse. I've been using it with the Inspire amp and the Maggies for 5 days and it is incredible. I almost starting laughing out loud the first time playing music, which is even more lifelike, has amazing presence and tone. There is definitely no longer any thinness or lack of body. I can get all the volume I need using KT-88's. The bass seems even better than with the SS amp but I'm still judging that. It just blows my mind how much better the LP-27a works with the Inspire amp compared to my CJ pre!

Congrats! I got the LP27a as soon as I saw one, There is definitely synergy. :thumbsup:

timeout59 08-11-2016 06:56 PM

Thanks! Have you ever bought Shuguang tubes off the auction site from sellers cctvstore8 or hsalience?

FloridaBoy 08-11-2016 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeout59 (Post 797338)
Analog, don't forget to get back to me on Audiogon :scratch2:

I've been looking for some globe 27's and found a few on the auction site. Always just a little nervous buying from vendors I don't have experience with, even with 100% positive feedback. But heck these tubes are not expensive. That's another nice thing about these amps, no expensive triode tubes to buy.

Anyone have a current auction site vendor recommendation?

Although it didn't come with them, my LP-27a was pictured on the auction site with some great looking RCA 27 globes (and some nice knobs like ones Peter posted in this forum way back when). That's how I got interested in that tube, plus a cool link Dennis sent from vinylsavor, will try and paste it in here if AA will let me:

vinylsavor.blogspot.com/search/label/27

BTW, my LP-27a came with two sets of 27 tubes and one set of 56's. Dennis is one the nicest guys in this hobby I've ever come in contact with.

Be careful with the globe 27's. They have been a bust for me. Good ones are few and far between.

FloridaBoy 08-11-2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeout59 (Post 797400)
Thanks! Have you ever bought Shuguang tubes off the auction site from sellers cctvstore8 or hsalience?

I have had good luck with them reputable vendor. No junk tubes. Just be sure the listing states premium tubes.

FloridaBoy 08-11-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 797041)
Would not it be even better to use one of the NOS 6V6 G ST (1940's shouldered) types along with either the 80 (4 Pin) or the 5Y3 G/GT (Octal 80)? I know I would try that first with such a high sensitivity speaker. In my setup, with 98 dB's, the 80 comes short to boost the G ST (which in another amp fares much better through a 12AT7), so it's not the tube, is the combination plus the lower sensitivity, I believe. But once the G ST sings ... It is a dream!

Try a 6SL7 in the amp. More gain.

timeout59 08-11-2016 07:34 PM

Thanks for that and the advice on the 27's :thumbsup:

Maybe I wish it had come with the 27's displayed :sigh:

timeout59 08-11-2016 07:34 PM

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/p4EAAO...Lz/s-l1600.jpg