AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Armator Electra (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44371)

miner 11-16-2018 09:06 PM

Armator Electra

Amator Electa
Anyone have experience with the Sf Electa Amator, early form? I see Sf will be releasing an Anniversary version. I am curious what to expect.

Antonmb 11-16-2018 09:38 PM

I heard the new ones at RMAF, they were gorgeous and sounded very good, given the environment. I think the price was about $12k.

tdelahanty 11-17-2018 09:11 AM

I owned the original Electa Amators and used them with a REL sub. They reproduced voice better than any speaker I've owned. The new ones have colmpetely different drivers, hard to speculate on their sound???

audioguy3107 11-17-2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 940775)
Anyone have experience with the Sf Armator Electra, early form? I see Sf will be releasing an Anniversary version. I am curious what to expect.

We listened to the new ones at RMAF......if I remember correctly they were hooked up to a big McIntosh integrated amplifier. I thought they sounded nice but wasn’t a big fan of the room.....I thought they were a bit sterile but I really think the room had a lot to do with it. They looked really nice. I still fondly remember the original Electa Amators. At the time they were one of the best speakers I had ever heard......I suspect they would still sound pretty good by today’s standards. They had that rich deep Sonus Faber sound that they were known for.

- Buck

librian 11-17-2018 09:53 PM

Sonus Faber Electa Amator were the first speakers I bought after graduating college. I bought the speakers along with a Counterpoint amp and preamp and a Proceed CD player in 1994 or so.

I sold the speakers about 15 years ago in the early days of Audiogon but I still have the original wood and marble stands. They were too heavy to ship and the dealer installed them so I never saw original boxes. The marble base was supposedly from the quarry owned by the designer of the speakers. They eventually made a version II and the new release in my opinion will be nothing like the labor of love that personified the originals. Sadly Sonus Faber has gone from a boutique brand to about as mass market as a brand can get in today's high end market.

I still have the original stands today - repurposed by my wife as the worlds most expensive plant stands, I think they were over $1k in 1994. If anyone is ever looking for the original stands in the NYC area, they are like new and holding plants waiting for an old pair of Sonus Faber's to find them!

tdelahanty 11-18-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by librian (Post 940943)
Sonus Faber Electa Amator were the first speakers I bought after graduating college. I bought the speakers along with a Counterpoint amp and preamp and a Proceed CD player in 1994 or so.

I sold the speakers about 15 years ago in the early days of Audiogon but I still have the original wood and marble stands. They were too heavy to ship and the dealer installed them so I never saw original boxes. The marble base was supposedly from the quarry owned by the designer of the speakers. They eventually made a version II and the new release in my opinion will be nothing like the labor of love that personified the originals. Sadly Sonus Faber has gone from a boutique brand to about as mass market as a brand can get in today's high end market.

I still have the original stands today - repurposed by my wife as the worlds most expensive plant stands, I think they were over $1k in 1994. If anyone is ever looking for the original stands in the NYC area, they are like new and holding plants waiting for an old pair of Sonus Faber's to find them!

I agree the company has changed, the harsh reality of survival in today's market. I was very sad when Serbeo Faber died ( sorry for the botched spelling). Today's product, although different, is still a very good speaker. :music:

audioguy3107 11-18-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdelahanty (Post 940995)
I agree the company has changed, the harsh reality of survival in today's market. I was very sad when Serbeo Faber died ( sorry for the botched spelling). Today's product, although different, is still a very good speaker. :music:

Who's Serbeo Faber???? Did you mean Franco Serblin? :D

- Buck

tdelahanty 11-18-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 940997)
Who's Serbeo Faber???? Did you mean Franco Serblin? :D

- Buck

Yes I simply couldn't remember his name, old age!!!!! Best guess wasn,'t so good :confused-2:

Antonmb 11-18-2018 11:36 AM

Armator Electra

Quote:

Originally Posted by librian (Post 940943)
I still have the original stands today - repurposed by my wife as the worlds most expensive plant stands...

Now that’s worth a picture!

miner 11-18-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 941003)
Now that’s worth a picture!

Puts the plants at ear level