AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Balanced Audio Technology (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Bat vk-43se (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49926)

Swelfelo 05-29-2021 04:51 AM

Bat vk-43se

Does anyone have any experience with the BAT VK-43SE?

Zelkop 05-29-2021 06:34 PM

i currently have one driving two Mc 601 amps, it worked for me somehow better than Mc 2600 preamp and few other options including BAT's own tube preamp vk32. But that's me, I simply like BAT's solid state sound and before this preamp I also owned vk40se and vk42se :) I found vk43se similar in sound to 42se but with slightly more solid and fuller presentation and a touch more clarity, otherwise similarly warm(ish). The older model vk40se was noticeably more blured and resulting sound was less dynamic but it was still listenable. In my system, balanced cables worked much better than single ended. if you are after very analytical and 'metalic' sound signature, this is not it. Hope this helps a little.

Soundmig 05-30-2021 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelkop (Post 1039122)
i currently have one driving two Mc 601 amps, it worked for me somehow better than Mc 2600 preamp and few other options including BAT's own tube preamp vk32. But that's me, I simply like BAT's solid state sound and before this preamp I also owned vk40se and vk42se :) I found vk43se similar in sound to 42se but with slightly more solid and fuller presentation and a touch more clarity, otherwise similarly warm(ish). The older model vk40se was noticeably more blured and resulting sound was less dynamic but it was still listenable. In my system, balanced cables worked much better than single ended. if you are after very analytical and 'metalic' sound signature, this is not it. Hope this helps a little.

BAT SS pre-amps are outstanding! 20 series is surprisingly good for the $$ and the 43SE is tough to beat. Victor does SS as well or better than he does tubes! IMHO

Zelkop 05-31-2021 10:19 AM

Yes, after many changes I decided to keep vk43se in my system and would recommend it without hesitation. Ecellent solid state design and good ergonomics. But your other components are important as well and you didn't provide much detail.

Soundmig 06-01-2021 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelkop (Post 1039214)
Yes, after many changes I decided to keep vk43se in my system and would recommend it without hesitation. Ecellent solid state design and good ergonomics. But your other components are important as well and you didn't provide much detail.

Sorry, I guess I let my paid subscription laps, so my signature doesn't show anymore. I was at one time a BAT dealer and was pleasantly surprised by the sound of the SS pre's - given they seem to be "know for" their tube gear. My current system uses a WT Classic TT into a Parasound JC3+ phono pre, into a JC2 Pre-amp. Digital is via a Schiit Gungnir MB fed by Node 2i streaming from NAS - or internet via Qobuz. Amp is a Parasound A23+ and speakers are Revel F228Be's. I use RGPC power stabilization and analog cables are AQ, Cardas and Kimber. Digital Coax is by Twisted Pair Designs (Dfn series true 75 Ohm). My listening room is fairly small but well treated with absorption and diffusion.
BAT gear when I had it was generally used with BAT AMPS (SS and TUBE) and speakers were mostly Westlake Audio (various models). Sources were generally WT Reference table / Cardas Heart MC cartridge or BAT CD player or Marantz S series SACD player. (This was some 18 years ago or so). I've heard the updated BAT versions at shows, but haven't known the associated equipment very well. Some stellar reviews have confirmed for me that the 43SE carries on the traditional BAT sound which is rich, full and smooth yet still accurately detailed and dynamic :-)

Swelfelo 07-25-2021 07:38 AM

Now the trick will be to find one. Thank you for the responses.