AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   C2700 ordered. Now what? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49644)

dkorbal 03-07-2021 08:17 PM

C2700 ordered. Now what?

I just put an order in for a C2700 at my local dealer. :banana: Lead time approximately 6 weeks I’m being told. What should I do to prepare/consider for the new arrival? Item such as cables, equipment integration, manual instructions or anything else to consider.

A little history … I’ve always had some type of audio equipment but with kids through college and in their profession I’ve stepped up my game. It started with 803D3 B&W speaker and than last year with MC601 mono amps. Like many others, the systems sits in the family room and integrates with a 5.1 system. I will use the pass thru feature of the C2700 for 2 channel listening. Please review my signature for other equipment. I have some GIK room treatment already.

With the incredible knowledge base and systems here my question can go in many directions and cost so please keep my system in mind if there is any suggestions.

blacsno 03-07-2021 08:42 PM

6 weeks lead time! Well might as well and go ahead, and buy Gold Lions tubes to replace the original stock tubes. I see you're the down river from me! Hello neighbor!!

Audiophilehi 03-07-2021 10:13 PM

+1 on the Gold Lions. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mac & Tosh 03-07-2021 10:19 PM

I wound up waiting 5 months for mine!

dkorbal 03-07-2021 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacsno (Post 1034328)
6 weeks lead time! Well might as well and go ahead, and buy Gold Lions tubes to replace the original stock tubes. I see you're the down river from me! Hello neighbor!!

Interesting! This is why I posted the question. Never would of thought about changing tubes so soon. I’ve noticed a few using Gold Lions here, how do they affect the sound? If I do change do I change them all or just certain ones?

Also I noticed you have a MEN220. That is on my short list for my next purchase. Do you like it?

dkorbal 03-07-2021 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac & Tosh (Post 1034337)
I wound up waiting 5 months for mine!

Yikes! Hopefully mine doesn’t take that long.

blacsno 03-07-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1034340)
Interesting! This is why I posted the question. Never would of thought about changing tubes so soon. I’ve noticed a few using Gold Lions here, how do they affect the sound? If I do change do I change them all or just certain ones?

The process of swapping out tubes is called "tube rolling". All you really need is a pair of clean gloves for the process. The job of switching tubes is nothing more than "pull tube from socket, and replace with new one". Then let the new tubes break-in which can take about 20+ hours of play time. Even the stock tubes will require break-in time. I'm sure others will sing the praises about Gold Lions tubes.

Well for me the MEN220 was a worth every penny spent! It saved me from the steep learning curve on room acoustic design. I'm sure folks can pad, tile, add traps, or pillows to achieve similar results. This part of the hobby I'm just not willing to devote the resources and time.

Ken,

W9TR 03-07-2021 11:20 PM

You’ll need:
Stereo cables from pre/pro to pass through input on C 2700. If your pre/pro supports XLR then use them.

1/8” stereo control cable to go from prepro power control out to C2700 Pass-thru in.

You’ll want to move all your two channel sources to the C2700, so;
Digital coaxial cable from Bluesound 2i to C 2700 coax in.
XLR cables from OppO UDP-205 2 channel balanced output to C 2700 balanced input.

While you’re at it, another MC 601 for the center channel - the most important channel in HT.
Now that the rest of you system is rocking, move up the line to a Marantz pre/pro with balanced inputs and outputs and a McIntosh multichannel amp.

That should do it. :)

dkorbal 03-07-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacsno (Post 1034343)
The process of swapping out tubes is called "tube rolling". All you really need is a pair of clean gloves for the process. The job of switching tubes is nothing more than "pull tube from socket, and replace with new one". Then let the new tubes break-in which can take about 20+ hours of play time. Even the stock tubes will require break-in time. I'm sure others will sing the praises about Gold Lions tubes.

Well for me the MEN220 was a worth every penny spent! It saved me from the steep learning curve on room acoustic design. I'm sure folks can pad, tile, add traps, or pillows to achieve similar results. This part of the hobby I'm just not willing to devote the resources and time.

Ken,

Thanks Ken. Is the 12AX7 the tube of choice?

blacsno 03-07-2021 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1034347)
Thanks Ken. Is the 12AX7 the tube of choice?

Yep! :thumbsup: I used Gold Lions in my C2300 for 8+ years before they went blah. They didn't burn out or fail. They just lost that pop! Now I'm trying Tung-Sol tubes. Nice thing about tube-rolling, you get to change the sound of your system. I have a new set of Gold Lions in a box ready to go if I decide to change. I don't know how many tubes you'll need for the C2700. Please check the manual for your preamp

Ken,