AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Sonos says high-res audio support "not on the roadmap (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38786)

JBT 03-09-2017 12:46 AM

Sonos says high-res audio support "not on the roadmap

What Hi-Fi? spoke to Giles Martin, Sound Experience Leader at Sonos (and successful record producer), at the launch of the Sonos Playbase, and naturally we couldn't help but ask about high-res audio. Sonos supports lossles, CD-quality files but no higher, unlike some rival products, notably Bluesound.

Martin has worked in some of the most famous studios in the world on some of the biggest albums, so it's fair to say he knows his stuff. He's also not shy of an opinion where sound quality is concerne

"I'd like everyone to start listening to 16-bit/44.1 kHz [CD-quality, lossless audio] and stop listening to MP3s, and experience those differences before they start talking about high-res," said Martin.

"It becomes a spec war. I did this with the Beatles masters at 24/96... and yes, there is a difference... but the difference between MP3 and 44.1 is the one. For most units [with hi-res audio] you wouldn't notice the difference, with double-blind testing, certainly on the consumer audio side. But I do believe we should listen to music in the best possible resolution, and I don't think there should be a ceiling on it, but I think there should be an agreement on what high-resolution is."

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sonos-s...IIvAcYg7qMW.99

Kal Rubinson 03-09-2017 10:38 AM

I had a meeting with Sonos many years ago and they said the same thing.

Dr Tone 03-09-2017 11:03 AM

If they don't want my business it's their choice.

blacsno 03-09-2017 02:46 PM

To the untrained eye it reads like this! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I don't WANNNNNNAAAAAAA DO IT! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Antonmb 03-09-2017 03:48 PM

I'd guess that Sonos sees itself as a lifestyle company targeted at the general consumer who wants music throughout the house, not targeted at audiophiles. I think some audiophiles adopted it and tweaked it to meet their needs, largely because in a post-Squeezebox world it was pretty much the only reasonably accessible streaming option. With Spotify, the largest player in the streaming world, just coming up to cd quality, and so many other high-end companies now targeting the audiophile with hi res streaming, it makes perfect sense to me for Sonos to stay focused on its mission and target audience and not get sidetracked into trying to compete in the audiophile world. I'm sure if general consumer demand in Sonos's target market ever starts shifting to hi res, they'll follow their customers.

Kal Rubinson 03-09-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 835974)
If they don't want my business it's their choice.

That's what I told them.

nicoff 03-09-2017 05:11 PM

Sonos business model is being challenged from above and below. Alexa customers can get their lower resolution music played around the house for much less money. And other players (Tidal+Roon) can now stream in high resolution and play in different zones. No wonder that Sonos has been laying off employees. I see Sonos as a dead end.

JBT 03-09-2017 07:09 PM

I've listened to high resolution files streamed and I really couldn't tell the difference. Perhaps its my age, but IMO it's overblown right now. When there's night and day difference then I'll take the plunge.

jdandy 03-09-2017 07:30 PM

I have two Sonos ZP90's and a Sonos Connect Amp. The Zone Players are connected in the living room system and the studio system. The Connect Amp drives outdoor speakers. I haven't used any of them in quite some time, maybe over a year. When I do use one of them it is to stream Internet radio stations so I am not critical of the sound quality. I won't pay for any content, CD quality or high-res on the Sonos. There are already so many streaming sources that want to get into your pocket for $10.00 to $20.00 a month for music and video content. Between my existing music library, new CD and high-res music purchases, and streaming Tidal with their HiFi account, I have all the content I can use.

JBT 03-09-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 836034)
I have two Sonos ZP90's and a Sonos Connect Amp. The Zone Players are connected in the living room system and the studio system. The Connect Amp drives outdoor speakers. I haven't used any of them in quite some time, maybe over a year. When I do use one of them it is to stream radio stations so I am not critical of the sound quality. I won't pay for any content, CD quality or high-res on the Sonos. There are already so many streaming sources that want to get into your pocket for $10.00 to $20.00 a month for music and video content. Between my existing music library, new CD and high-res music purchases, and streaming Tidal with their HiFi account, I have all the content I can use.

I stream internet radio and apple lossless. When it does reach critical mass and it's obvious high resolution has come of age then I'll take the plunge. I suspect Sonos will too.