AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Having an electrician over this week..... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40867)

tdelahanty 10-21-2017 05:55 AM

I have two separate dedicated lines and my system sounds better when plugged into one line. My best guess (reason) for this is the proximity (nearness) of the ground connections for each component.

vintage_tube 10-21-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdelahanty (Post 873837)
I have two separate dedicated lines and my system sounds better when plugged into one line. My best guess (reason) for this is the proximity (nearness) of the ground connections for each component.

You now have centralized from one outlet your power distribution & I speculate there could have been, when using more than one dedicated outlet, a conflict of both signal and ground paths which created "noise".

By going to the one dedicated, you eliminated that conflict.

I myself have reverted to one dedicated 20A outlet to power all my gear & run it thru not a power conditioner (which IMO impedes the power line and compresses dynamic range of the music), but a power distribution bar with a high quality AC cable from the 20A dedicated receptacle. This approach and device addresses AC Mains contamination, EMF/RF interference and that conflicting flow of signal and ground paths via a low impedance star ground.

Best Sir,

Bob

audioguy3107 10-21-2017 11:46 AM

One more question for Dan or any others more knowledgable than me about this........the dedicated line to my amplifier is run to a standard duplex outlet. I think I may get him to install a second for future considerations in case I were to add anything up front, go to monoblocks etc..... Will he have to run another line to the duplex outlet or do you just piggyback it to the line already there, in essence turning it into a quad receptacle?

- Buck

Mikado463 10-21-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdelahanty (Post 873835)
I would suggest checking if both lines are on the same phase in your main box. The simplest way to do that is to look at your panel, if the breakers are one below the other they are on opposite phases (not good). If they are right/left, or skip one on the same side they are on the same phase (good).

CAUTION THIS METHOD SHOULD BE DONE BY QUALIFIED PERSONELL.

You can also use an AC volt meter, measure between both neutrals or hots (between both circuits) If it reads more than one or two volts it's out of phase.

Interesting ......... for I did my best to relocate my 'noise' generating devices (dimmers, appliances, misc rheostat switches, etc) to one down leg and my audio (2 dedicated 20amp, 10ga) lines to the other. FWIW, a friend of mine (electrician) recommended this ? no ground loop or other artifact issues that I can tell

Dan, BTW, good post (#6) ....... :thumbsup:

jdandy 10-21-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 873908)
One more question for Dan or any others more knowledgable than me about this........the dedicated line to my amplifier is run to a standard duplex outlet. I think I may get him to install a second for future considerations in case I were to add anything up front, go to monoblocks etc..... Will he have to run another line to the duplex outlet or do you just piggyback it to the line already there, in essence turning it into a quad receptacle?

Buck.......A dedicated circuit can easily be shared with a second duplex receptacle, although it is typical for a dedicated circuit to have a single duplex receptacle. The important thing to keep in mind, don't share this additional receptacle with electrical loads that are not part of the audio system. Also make sure you are using quality receptacles, not contractor grade outlets. Hubbell, Leviton, and Pass & Seymour hospital grade receptacles have certified clamping pressure that resists plugs from accidentally becoming disconnected. This extra clamping pressure ensures a firm secure electrical connection.