AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Shunyata Delta NR power cord and Furutech Flux-50 NCF Filter (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46981)

Audiophilehi 11-05-2019 10:00 AM

Shunyata Delta NR power cord and Furutech Flux-50 NCF Filter

Is there much or if any difference between the Shunyata Delta NR power cord and the Furutech Flux-50 NCF Filter?

They do appear to do the same thing.

Puma Cat 11-05-2019 04:36 PM

I'll share my experiences here for what they are worth with the standard caveat that 1) YMMV, and 2) there are many folks that have observed positive improvements using the Furutech Flux-50 and Flux-50 NCF power cables.

With respect to noise reduction, both the Delta NR and the Flux-50 will provide noise suppression of AC mains line noise. I didn't own an NCF, but I had a non-NCF Flux-50, and using the AC in my home (again YMMV), an Entech powerline noise analyser set to a nominal reading of ~110 to 100 when used with a generic black power cord, the Furutech reduced the AC mains noise from ~110 to 100 to ~12 to 9 (it's noise, so it fluctuates when taking readings). A Venom 14 Digital power cord, which utilizes the same noise suppression technology as the Delta NR, reduces noise from ~100 to 110 to ~1.7 to 1.0.

But, its important to remember that the #1 requirement for any power cord is not noise suppression but the ability dynamically deliver current as quickly as possible when playing music, particularly dynamic content. Shunyata developed a complete metrology for measuring this, and it is referred to as Dynamic Current Transient Delivery aka DTCD.

With my Flux-50 in my system (I used it for the preamp) and connected it to my Triton V1...I didn't hear any difference in noise reduction, and I didn't hear any impact on DTCD, either, for the better or the worse. On the whole, I heard no virtually change overall, even after leaving the power cord in for some months to burn in. I think it's of interest that the Flux-50 can have a reduction in measurable noise without a negative, audible impact on DTCD, because these two functional response are "conflicting" (generally, when you make one better, the other gets worse) and its notable to be able to provide NR without an adverse impact on DTCD, but with my components, power cables and power distribution/conditioning, it did not provide any audible benefits.

By contrast, even using a Shunyata Venom NR-V10 or V12 power cord in conjunction with my Triton (which provides about 24 dB of noise suppression), I heard a notable reduction in noise, which made the sytem sound much quieter, blacker, open, spacious, and transparent. This was compared to my Shunyata Black Mamba power cords, which are no slouch.

Now for the Delta NR....when I installed this power cord in conjunction with Denali 6000/S V2, I heard a reduction in noise, though not as dramatically as when using the Triton simply because Denali already provides >60 dB noise suppression, so the proportion that Delta NR provides to the overall NR (~18%) is a smaller proportion than when Delta NR is used with Triton's 24dB (~38%).

What is really noticeable with Delta NR compared to my previous Black Mamba PCs, is really increased dynamics, speed, and ability to "scale" from piano to fortissimo, even over the amazing Venom NR-V10. The improved dynamic current transient delivery (aka DTCD) contributes significantly to the lifelikeness of the presentation. The ability for the Delta NR to deliver dynamics, speed, scale, transients while still remaining clean, open, and very quiet is the real strength of this power cord.

So...I ended up eventually selling my Flux-50. And I plan on buying at least one more NR power cord.

Audiophilehi 11-05-2019 05:11 PM

Wow Stephen....thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I’m going to give the Shunyata Delta NR power cord a try. I have a few Furutech Flux-50 NCF Filters that I can do a direct comparison.

Puma Cat 11-05-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 984771)
Wow Stephen....thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I’m going to give the Shunyata Delta NR power cord a try. I have a few Furutech Flux-50 NCF Filters that I can do a direct comparison.

You're welcome, Paul.

Welcome reading about your impressions when you get your Delta NR PC. What I personally find really nice about these power cords is their performance and yet they are much more flexible and easy to route than my older Black Mamba power cords.

Cheers.

Audiophilehi 11-05-2019 05:34 PM

Now I have to be on the lookout for a Black Friday deal!! :D

Thanks again Stephen!

Masterlu 11-05-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 984774)
Now I have to be on the lookout for a Black Friday deal!! :D

Thanks again Stephen!

:naughty:

Audiophilehi 11-05-2019 06:43 PM

Shunyata Delta NR power cord just ordered!!!!!!

Thanks Ivan!

Masterlu 11-05-2019 06:56 PM

My pleasure! :tiphat:

Puma Cat 11-05-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 984783)
Shunyata Delta NR power cord just ordered!!!!!!

Thanks Ivan!

:thumbsup:

Parabellum 11-05-2019 11:08 PM

Stephen,

I was all set for the Venom NR-V10 for my amp and dac but you are having me a second though on the Delta NR. Compared to the Black Mamba, do you find the sound fuller, with deeper bass?