AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   News (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Worlds best speakers are here! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2204)

Tonepub 09-20-2009 02:58 PM

The Worlds best speakers are here!

Just got the YG Anat II professionals here yesterday!

Pretty exciting stuff. I've been to the factory to watch them build the Anat's and the attention to detail is fantastic. They have a super cool 5 axis milling machine and they start out with about a 1.5 ton (no typo!!) sheet of aluminum to cut these babies down into their final shape.

What I heard in their showroom with Krell and DCS was nothing short of amazing, so I'm anxious to get them up and playing before I head to the RMAF.

Are they the best speakers in the world?

I don't know if I'd go that far, only because everyone likes something different. One guy prefers an Aston Martin, the other would rather have a Ferrari, another a Porsche. (and some are fortunate enough to have them all!)

But I would definitely say they are one of the top 5 or 6 when it comes to cost no object speakers. In terms of being dynamic, highly resolving, incredibly musical and coherent, I can't say I've heard anything better and I've spent a lot of time with the Wilson X-2 (series2), the Avalon Sentinels, Hansen, Magico and a few others.

I'd say if you are ready to write a six figure check for a pair of speakers, the YG's should be on your list to audition. They make an awesome product.

Watch for an in depth review in either the Dec or Feb issue. I really want to put a lot of hours on these before I start writing.

Ivan, you may have to come to Portland for a visit!!!

:)

Masterlu 09-20-2009 03:41 PM

My flight lands Tuesday at 3:15pm, I'm looking forward to meeting you! ;)

Still-One 09-20-2009 09:16 PM

Jeff
I heard a couple of the YG's (can't remember the exact models) in a couple of rooms at last years RMAF and I agree that they compete with other high end speakers. I would not say they were better than several others also on display and in my opinion did not come close to the Focal EM's but as you say it all comes down to personnel preference. I am disappointed that I will miss this years event. Poor planning on my part.
Jim

howiebrou 09-21-2009 04:40 AM

I like the YG sound though may be not the looks as much. I do, however, like the way you can buy them top down piece by piece to lessen the financial outlay :yes:

Tonepub 09-21-2009 10:58 AM

At this level, I really think it's personal choice. And speakers like this really require more attention to setup and system matching as well. Just like a high performance car, it's a lot easier to get the suspension setup "wrong" on a Ferrari, Porsche or Lambo than it is on a Camry.

One of my friends that is the Focal Importer for NA, said he's heard the Grande Utopia in eight different rooms recently in eight completely different setups and they didn't even sound like the same speakers.

I'm excited that I have about eight different amplification choices to work with for the review, so I should be able to really run them through their paces.

JSCC 09-21-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonepub (Post 38524)
At this level, I really think it's personal choice. And speakers like this really require more attention to setup and system matching as well. Just like a high performance car, it's a lot easier to get the suspension setup "wrong" on a Ferrari, Porsche or Lambo than it is on a Camry.

How truer can that get! :thumbsup:

Tonepub 10-14-2009 02:07 AM

Well, I've been listening for some time now and they are pretty damn good!
Paired up with the MC1.2kw's it provides a system that never runs out of dynamic punch.

I've got about five more big amps to try them with but these are some pretty amazing speakers.

PHC1 10-14-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonepub (Post 41732)
Well, I've been listening for some time now and they are pretty damn good!
Paired up with the MC1.2kw's it provides a system that never runs out of dynamic punch.

I've got about five more big amps to try them with but these are some pretty amazing speakers.

Yes, but is this a speaker one can truly live with on a long term basis? I've heard plenty of systems that had an impressive dynamic response but left me feeling cold and unsatisfied when it came to "emotional response". :scratch2:

Tonepub 10-20-2009 11:16 PM

Well, I hate to say it, but I'd take em over just about anything I've heard. I've got my list of about five favorites, and they are certainly close to the top. They've got the dynamic punch of the Wilson X-2's, the big, walk through sound of my ML CLX's and an incredible tonality to boot.

I'd certainly put them on a very short list....

I've switched from the MC 1.2kw's and moved on to my reference Burmester 911 mk.3 and continue to be terribly impressed.