AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Reference DAC Media Bridge (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29621)

Mick M 12-30-2014 09:22 AM

Reference DAC Media Bridge

I have owned this equipment for some time and have been delighted with its performance. I recently moved house and in my new property the DAC keeps cutting out on me - once tripped it will not output anything until I go through the reboot process (power down, remove mains plug for 60 secs, then power up). It is not a fault in the unit, as I borrowed a replacement from the UK distributor and it did the same. It is not the power amp or speakers as I have tried various others of each with the same result. It does it when I am listening on any input (USB, Ethernet, digital input, etc). I have tried mains conditioners, ups, and mains reconstructors - nothing works. All my other equipment works fine in the house, including a Naim NDS streamer. Anyone had experience of something similar? Or any suggestions on the next step? The UK distributor is in contact with AR, but apparently this is a unique problem!

MPS 12-30-2014 02:46 PM

Overheating?

2fastdriving 12-30-2014 02:48 PM

Mick M, welcome to AA!

Have you tried different sources? Do you have a trusty CD player you can hook up via TosLink or something like that?

Masterlu 12-30-2014 05:48 PM

Mick M... Welcome to AA and many thanks for your support! :wave:

Mick M 12-30-2014 08:35 PM

I have tried various devices - does not make any difference to the result. I even tried unplugging everything except a USB. There just seems to be something in my house that it does not like. It is also not overheating - I have tried it in various locations including areas where it gets plenty of cool air.

ChrisG 01-01-2015 05:33 PM

I've only had mine for a couple of days and have been streaming on ethernet and while I haven't tried USB yet, I'm not having any problems with mine.

BTW, it sounds great and I guess I'll be changing my signature soon!

bmichels 02-15-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisG (Post 663504)
I've only had mine for a couple of days and have been streaming on ethernet and while I haven't tried USB yet, I'm not having any problems with mine.

BTW, it sounds great and I guess I'll be changing my signature soon!

Good to hear you like the REF DAC. It has been in my radar since 1 year, but... I am waiting to see if they really come with a DSD upgrade.

Anyway, can you explain how you stream on Internet with it. What service do you use ? (internet radios ? TIDAL ? ....)

thanks

njtuk1 02-21-2015 06:01 PM

I'm new to this forum but I wonder if anyone could guide me on the Reference DAC and Media Bridge. I've very recently bought one running through an ARC DS450 into Sonus Faber Amati Futura Speakers. My intention was always to have it as a computer based audio only system - currently Mac Mini but I intend the going to Meridian Sooloos when the expected update comes out later this quarter. But I miss the physicality of my CD's and so want an appropriate CD source.

Question - I've the opportunity to buy an ARC CD8 at a really good price. But is this a waste as I'm surely doubling up on the DAC and valves? Would I be better instead to search out a good transport? I can't see the point in going for a new CD6 as the features are also duplicated in the DAC/Media Bridge.

I'd really like to keep the aesthetics of an all ARC rack but feel I'm compromising on what I could get for similar value. I'm no expert on these things but would certainly appreciate advice.

Mick did you ever sort out your power problem? That's worrying as I'll be moving soon too.

Masterlu 02-21-2015 09:12 PM

njtuk1... Welcome to AA! :wave:

2fastdriving 02-21-2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njtuk1 (Post 676902)
I'm new to this forum but I wonder if anyone could guide me on the Reference DAC and Media Bridge. I've very recently bought one running through an ARC DS450 into Sonus Faber Amati Futura Speakers. My intention was always to have it as a computer based audio only system - currently Mac Mini but I intend the going to Meridian Sooloos when the expected update comes out later this quarter. But I miss the physicality of my CD's and so want an appropriate CD source.

Question - I've the opportunity to buy an ARC CD8 at a really good price. But is this a waste as I'm surely doubling up on the DAC and valves? Would I be better instead to search out a good transport? I can't see the point in going for a new CD6 as the features are also duplicated in the DAC/Media Bridge.

I'd really like to keep the aesthetics of an all ARC rack but feel I'm compromising on what I could get for similar value. I'm no expert on these things but would certainly appreciate advice.

Mick did you ever sort out your power problem? That's worrying as I'll be moving soon too.

My advice: stick with ARC for your amplification, but move away for your digital needs. I did that, I got rid of my CD6 for an Esoteric K-03, there is simply no contest between the two. And they cost about the same! Well the new K-03x will be a little more. You can pick up a used K-03 and you won't look back. It matches VERY well with ARC aesthetic, too.