AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vivid Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Vivid G1 Giya comparison to Wilson MAXX 3 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=33358)

Steady339 10-17-2015 11:18 PM

Vivid G1 Giya comparison to Wilson MAXX 3

Link to The Audio Beat review by Marc Mickelson of the Vivid G1 Giya. Interesting read on the sound of the Vivid G1 and a comparison to the Wilson MAXX 3.

The Audio Beat - Vivid Audio* G1 Giya Loudspeakers

Briz Vegaas 10-19-2015 10:26 AM

So basically the Maxx has a coloured sound with a bass emphasis, but only compared to the G1.

Would certainly be interesting to hear the G1 in a quality installation, not that i could afford a pair.

bart 10-19-2015 03:03 PM

I don't even know if there are G1 owners here on the forum.
There are certainly quite some G2 owners, with good systems.

Art Vandelay 10-25-2015 04:09 AM

Has anyone heard G1's?

There's a good chance that I'll get to audition the G1 in the next few weeks.

With the appropriate front end and electronics, the G2's were very nice, so I'm hoping that the G1 's sound exactly the same, save for a more extended and rock solid bass.

bart 10-25-2015 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay (Post 735978)
Has anyone heard G1's?

There's a good chance that I'll get to audition the G1 in the next few weeks.

With the appropriate front end and electronics, the G2's were very nice, so I'm hoping that the G1 's sound exactly the same, save for a more extended and rock solid bass.

Art, I've heard the G1s and the G2s, side by side.
I think they're very, very comparable.
Dic (Laurence Dickie) commented: "With the G2s, you get 95% of the performance from an enclosure that is 50% of the volume of the G1s."
The G1s must reproduce a couple of Hz lower.
But my G2s go quite deep.
I can hear notes that I didn't hear on the B&W 800D2 (driven by Accuphase gear).

By the way, I would have taken the G1s, but I made a very good compromise with my better half. ;-)

Art Vandelay 10-25-2015 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 735983)
Art, I've heard the G1s and the G2s, side by side.
I think they're very, very comparable.
Dic (Laurence Dickie) commented: "With the G2s, you get 95% of the performance from an enclosure that is 50% of the volume of the G1s."
The G1s must reproduce a couple of Hz lower.
But my G2s go quite deep.
I can hear notes that I didn't hear on the B&W 800D2 (driven by Accuphase gear).

By the way, I would have taken the G1s, but I made a very good compromise with my better half. ;-)

Bart, thanks for the detailed answer.

The Stereophile review shows a similar performance to the G3, other than below 30Hz of course, although the step in the response at about 1kHz is slightly more pronounced with the G1, suggesting that it may sound a little to the warm side of dead neutral.

I'll post my thoughts when I've heard them in a week or two's time.

bart 10-25-2015 01:15 PM

Yes Art, the G1, G2, G3 should be similar in the highs and mids, because they share the same drivers.

Looking forward to your report!

Portugal 10-25-2015 04:58 PM

I'm now listening to my G3. Fist time in 4 - 6 months. The same time I've been absent from AA...

Had almost forgotten how good they sound. Wonderful!

bart 10-25-2015 05:02 PM

Welcome back Pedro!
You were drowning in your work?

Art Vandelay 10-26-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 736079)
Yes Art, the G1, G2, G3 should be similar in the highs and mids, because they share the same drivers.

Looking forward to your report!

The audition date is likely to be Friday week.

For the audition, the speakers are being shipped to a private residence along with a MSB diamond stack, and I'm one of the lucky few that will get to hear them.

If I upgrade from the B&W's it will likely be to the G2's or 3's, but it can't hurt to hear the 1's so that I know what I'm missing - or not missing as the case may be.

From what I've heard thus far I would have to agree that they're more neutral and transparent in the mids than my 800 Diamonds and image specificity seems to be superior.

If there is a weakness, as slight as it is, it's that the very top octave isn't quite as transparent and open as some other speakers I've heard.