AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Pleasure (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46313)

jdandy 07-23-2019 12:09 PM

Pleasure

It's all about pleasure. We constantly talk about audio components, cables, tweaks, speakers, acoustic treatments, isolation, digital, analog, and on and on. We boast of audible improvements as we advance our way through product after product in an unending search for audio nirvana. Ultimately though, it all boils down to one thing. It is pleasure we seek, that special feeling of happy satisfaction. It is the gratification and contentment we experience from our audio systems that drive us toward that ever elusive, nearly unobtainable goal of complete fulfillment. It isn't about better this or that, higher highs or lower lows, it is about pleasure, the ultimate end game of all our audio system endeavors.

Our sense of self-esteem is rewarded through our ears, eyes, touch, and emotions as we interact with our sound systems. The pleasure of this experience reinforces our sense of personal identity, thus pleasure is gained from recognition of one's achievement. Yes, we go on and on about the large, small, precise, even trivial details of our sound systems, but that is not the bottom line. It is the intense quest for pleasure that motivates us. The rest is just something for us to talk about.

audioguy3107 07-23-2019 12:23 PM

That's pretty much it, when I put on an album at night and it turns into more of an event than just putting on some music, I know the goal has been reached.

- Buck

Higgens 07-23-2019 01:23 PM

I couldn’t agree more. The tangible elements of our hobby are merely the means to the end. Thanks for reminding us, Dan.

oddeophile 07-23-2019 01:37 PM

+1

jdandy 07-23-2019 06:36 PM

Music is one of life's great pleasures. It is also universal across all cultures. When shared, music creates bonds between people. Music can make you smile, make you cry, and all the emotions in between. It is powerful and can instantly pull distant memories back into perfect focus like a bookmark. Whether live or reproduced, music captures our soul, grips us emotionally, and brings pleasure to our lives. I can't imagine the world without music.

Audiophiles, or audio enthusiasts if you prefer, are not so dissimilar to those who do not share our intense passion for lifelike, accurate audio reproduction in our homes. For many all it takes to get their foot tapping is something as simple as a tabletop or battery operated transistor radio, or ear buds and their smartphone. It is the music that moves us, all of us. As audio enthusiasts, we simply take reproduction of music more seriously, although I am not positive we are more fulfilled by the experience than those less committed to our obsession. The pleasure is in the music for all to share.

cdobson 07-23-2019 07:56 PM

Dan, well expressed, as always! Very much aligned with your perspective on this topic.

Grasshopper 07-23-2019 07:57 PM

Dan, I’m sure I speak for many, but it is certainly a pleasure sharing this hobby with you!!!

Msegal 07-23-2019 11:28 PM

I recall at one point in my audiophile career turning listening from a left brain to a right brain exercise. I forgot how to listen with my right hemisphere. Every listening session became a nitpicking dissection of what was wrong with my system.

I finally had to take 10 years off of listening to a big rig before I could listen again for pleasure.

I did learn much about how to listen but the most important skill I acquired was how to enjoy.

Mike S.

Antonmb 07-24-2019 12:55 AM

I agree wholeheartedly that we are pleasure seekers and the joy of the music is the primary goal. The music moves me more than anything, but I do get pleasure from the pursuit of sound, and there is also much pleasure for me in a beautiful and well-designed piece of equipment, not unlike the pleasure I get from a work of art.

jdandy 07-24-2019 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 973992)
I agree wholeheartedly that we are pleasure seekers and the joy of the music is the primary goal. The music moves me more than anything, but I do get pleasure from the pursuit of sound, and there is also much pleasure for me in a beautiful and well-designed piece of equipment, not unlike the pleasure I get from a work of art.

Tony.......I am with you. The pleasure factor in listening to music also extends to the equipment in our sound systems. That is what I meant when I said, "Our sense of self-esteem is rewarded through our ears, eyes, touch, and emotions as we interact with our sound systems. The pleasure of this experience reinforces our sense of personal identity, thus pleasure is gained from recognition of one's achievement." A well thought out sound system that is meticulously assembled can be a true work of art.