AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Magnetar UDP900 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=52460)

miketuason 08-29-2023 09:00 AM

Magnetar UDP900

Well I finally got the new Universal region free Magnetar UDP900 and this thing is a beast weighing 35lbs. This will replace my ten year old Oppo UDP95. https://magnetar-audio.com/bluray-player-udp900/

rnrmf1971 08-29-2023 12:08 PM

Congratulations! If you have opinions of the audio quality and comparisons, it'd be much appreciated

miketuason 08-29-2023 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 1076515)
Congratulations! If you have opinions of the audio quality and comparisons, it'd be much appreciated

Yes of course, once I hook everything up. When you get a chance check out the spec on the website.

prepress 11-03-2023 08:03 AM

I wasn't aware of this player until recently. I have two Pioneer Elites and both work fine, so I couldn't justify springing for the Magnetar. There are reviews online, and from what I've read, it's a good player overall.

miketuason 03-31-2024 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prepress (Post 1078174)
I wasn't aware of this player until recently. I have two Pioneer Elites and both work fine, so I couldn't justify springing for the Magnetar. There are reviews online, and from what I've read, it's a good player overall.

There are lots of YouTube video review about the Magnet 900 now. To my personal experience, this beast is really worth it. I suggest watch some of the YouTube video.

prepress 04-03-2024 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miketuason (Post 1081803)
There are lots of YouTube video review about the Magnet 900 now. To my personal experience, this beast is really worth it. I suggest watch some of the YouTube video.

One reviewer had the 900 and its smaller sibling the 800, and compared their video processing abilities vs. the Sony TV they were hooked up to. The 900 was better than the 800, and the Sony was better than both. He put the player on Source Direct and let the Sony do the processing, which is what I do with my Elites.

I think that, were I to need a player the 900 would be it, but there is the Panasonic UB9000 at lesser cost. I don't stream or play digital files, so maybe the Panasonic would be all I need. But reviews comparing it to Pioneer's last Elite player had it besting the Pioneer for video, with the Pioneer besting the Panasonic for audio. Maybe I'll look at a few more reviews. Meantime, what have you found as you use the Magnetar?

miketuason 04-05-2024 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prepress (Post 1081860)
One reviewer had the 900 and its smaller sibling the 800, and compared their video processing abilities vs. the Sony TV they were hooked up to. The 900 was better than the 800, and the Sony was better than both. He put the player on Source Direct and let the Sony do the processing, which is what I do with my Elites.

I think that, were I to need a player the 900 would be it, but there is the Panasonic UB9000 at lesser cost. I don't stream or play digital files, so maybe the Panasonic would be all I need. But reviews comparing it to Pioneer's last Elite player had it besting the Pioneer for video, with the Pioneer besting the Panasonic for audio. Maybe I'll look at a few more reviews. Meantime, what have you found as you use the Magnetar?

Definitely better 4k video and if not the same better audio. I first was going to get the Panasonic UB9000 bet when I found out it doesn’t play SACD which is important to me because I have an SACD collection and for a used Oppo UDP205 without warranty and support, I went ahead and got the Magnetar UDP9000 and so far no regrets and im very happy with it.