AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Connections from McIntosh MX119 to Oppo BDP-95 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=7978)

JackK 04-13-2011 10:46 AM

Connections from McIntosh MX119 to Oppo BDP-95

Ok, I broke down and finally ordered an Oppo BDP-95 blu-ray player for my theatre system.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...03/HOME001.jpg

My question is which inputs on the McIntosh MX119 should I use? My guess is to connect using the analog inputs for L,R,C,LS,RS,SUB so that all of the decoding is done by the Oppo. The MX119 doesn't support HDMI.

I see a left and right balanced output on the Oppo unit and was wondering if that might be a better choice?

Jack

Masterlu 04-13-2011 10:50 AM

I think you mean analog inputs on the MX119 for audio; the answer is yes.

Very Nice Rig!

Face 04-13-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackK (Post 157961)
My question is which inputs on the McIntosh MX119 should I use? My guess is to connect using the component inputs for L,R,C,LS,RS,SUB so that all of the decoding is done by the Oppo.

Correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackK (Post 157961)
I see a left and right balanced output on the Oppo unit and was wondering if that might be a better choice?

I'm not sure if the MX-119 is a fully balanced unit or not, but you could the balanced input for 2 channel listening. :music:

Dj_AmTraX 04-13-2011 11:12 AM

Mx119 is not balanced.

JackK 04-13-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 157962)
I think you mean analog inputs on the MX119 for audio; the answer is yes.

Very Nice Rig!

Yes analog inputs for audio. I'll use the component video cables as well.
Ok, Fedex get a move on so I can hook this thing up :smoking:

bart 04-13-2011 12:09 PM

My new Oppo arrived yesterday, and so far, it's very promising! :music:
Sacd's sound nice in 5.0...
I'll need a better processor though... :scratch2:

JackK 04-20-2011 08:57 AM

Ok, the BDP-95 arrived yesterday. On opening the package, I was instantly reminded of Apple's superior packaging. This thing looked too nice in it's fancy, antistat bag.

I didn't get to start the task of installing it in the rack until 9:30pm and fired it up about an hour later. My back is killing me from moving the rack away from the wall.

I put in The Dark Knight as the first go. WOW !! My dog, who has become accustomed to my loud music bolted from the room with the first gunshots. She's 14 years old and going deaf ... or at least selectively deaf because she ignores me when she feels like it.

Next up was Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" SACD. I'm completely impressed with what I'm hearing. Very cool. Two thumbs up to Oppo.

Now I need some cable management work. What was a very organized cable arrangement is now a disaster. I had to cut a ton of wire ties to move things around. I think the velcro things are going in next so I can adjust as necessary.

Anyone program the BDP-95 into the Universal Remote MX-850? I'll be tackling that this weekend.

Thanks to everyone who talked up the Oppo Players and led me to them. :music:

Jack

Masterlu 04-20-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackK (Post 159721)
Ok, the BDP-95 arrived yesterday. On opening the package, I was instantly reminded of Apple's superior packaging. This thing looked too nice in it's fancy, antistat bag.

I didn't get to start the task of installing it in the rack until 9:30pm and fired it up about an hour later. My back is killing me from moving the rack away from the wall.

I put in The Dark Knight as the first go. WOW !! My dog, who has become accustomed to my loud music bolted from the room with the first gunshots. She's 14 years old and going deaf ... or at least selectively deaf because she ignores me when she feels like it.

Next up was Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" SACD. I'm completely impressed with what I'm hearing. Very cool. Two thumbs up to Oppo.

Now I need some cable management work. What was a very organized cable arrangement is now a disaster. I had to cut a ton of wire ties to move things around. I think the velcro things are going in next so I can adjust as necessary.

Anyone program the BDP-95 into the Universal Remote MX-850? I'll be tackling that this weekend.

Jack

Congrats Jack!

Funny stuff on your dog. :lmao:

bart 04-20-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackK (Post 159721)

Jack

+1 :thumbsup:

thughes 04-20-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

I'll use the component video cables as well.
Use the main HDMI video out on the Oppo into your TV. Don't use the components unless you have no other choice. Eventually, copy protection will downgrade the quality of the video to a much lower resolution.

Besides, you will be giving up video quality in the Oppo, and the video quality on the Oppo is stunning.

If you have the inputs, run those stereo balanced outs to a separate stereo input. Use the mulit-channel for multi-channel sources, but switch back and forth for two channel sources to see which you prefer on the Oppo.

I got the new Oppo 95 about the same time I added the JL Audio f113. It took me several days to get happy with the adjustments I had to make, but the results are well worth it.