AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MCD500, MC252 Reviewed by Tone Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=626)

j3brow 05-01-2009 11:24 PM

MCD500, MC252 Reviewed by Tone Audio

Looks like Jeff has published reviews of the McIntosh MCD500 (Dorgay) and MC252 (Kent/Dorgay) in the latest issue of Tone Audio at TONEAudio MAGAZINE | The e-journal of analog and digital sound.

They are both positive, however, based on my own experience i thought he would gush a bit more re: MCD500's sound, particularly at its price point. Those mega-buck players he has on hand must be unreal because the 500 is the best player i have ever heard and I havent even utilized the inputs to the DAC.

So, is it just me or do ya'll think his review on par??

jdandy 05-02-2009 12:13 AM

Jason.......I have downloaded the issue most recent edition of Tone Audio, but have not found time yet to read it. I am looking forward to the MCD500 review. I'll have to return here after reading the review for a comment.

PHC1 05-02-2009 12:14 AM

The price point where MCD500 resides is very competitive. :smoking:

JSCC 05-02-2009 01:26 AM

Although a glowing review, I think Jeff's sample could have a slight fault cause he wrote in page 142, and I quote:

"My major complaint about the player is that it does not sense SACD automatically, forcing you to set it manually". Well, mine did sense it automatically, EVERY SACD disc I put in and played without a slight fault ... Amen!

Nevertheless, a very glowing report that makes me a happy owner!

1KW 05-02-2009 07:46 AM

My SACD also automatically plays in this format on my MCD500, I have never had to set it manually.

1KW 05-02-2009 07:47 AM

I would like to read a new review about the 501's

Still-One 05-02-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSCC (Post 10938)
Although a glowing review, I think Jeff's sample could have a slight fault cause he wrote in page 142, and I quote:

"My major complaint about the player is that it does not sense SACD automatically, forcing you to set it manually". Well, mine did sense it automatically, EVERY SACD disc I put in and played without a slight fault ... Amen!

I sent him a PM the other day after I read the review. My unit also senses SACD's automatically and I have one of the first units so it was probably not a running change.

US Blues 05-02-2009 08:41 AM

Both reviews are fair and well-written. As an MC252 owner I was happy to see that amp get the respect it deserves.

gregswaim 05-02-2009 09:07 AM

In my opinion, McIntosh is the only company that got digital right all of the way.
With so many "Me Too" CDP's on the market, it's easy for to me to sympathize with those that feel that vinyl is a better playback format. :smoking:

j3brow 05-02-2009 10:37 AM

My MCD500 has also never failed to detect a hybrid SACD correctly. He specifically mentions the 500 falls short with regards to the frequency extremes, when comparing to his mega-bucks spinners. But, he states that amongst peers in its price class (and some more expensive), it is without fault.

After re-reading the review, my initial impression appears to be off. It isnt realistic that it would be on par with his 30K Naim.....it garnered a "highly recommend" which is high praise indeed given the quality of gear ToneAudio routinely reviews and their unbiased approach. i guess i was just wanting to see a 'professional' review as glowing as ours around these parts.

Unfortunately, reading that quote from Ron C has me looking at my rack wondering how in the hell I could someday work a C500 2-box preamp into my system....would the sound be that much better than my 2300?? would the loss of tone controls be missed?? maybe in 2010 i will find out :smoking:

for now, its off to New Orleans..Jazzfest awaits. I love this time of year:music:

Jason