AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   The Mighty Thor (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=12900)

Charles 03-08-2012 01:11 AM

The Mighty Thor

The Thors Hammer was installed on tuesday along with the Wilson Controller and MC601 mono amp. I will have a lot to say soon but I'm too busy listening right now. Things went without a hitch. Stupendous, unblelievable, surprising, more than expected, amazing, never heard anything close either at a dealer or at home, and unexplainable are some of the adjectives. The Hammer and the Maxx3's are synergistic in the extreme. The Wilson Controller is the analog piece everyone is looking for. Now you can have your cake and eat it too. It is an utterly transparent crossover that delivers the audio goods in spades. The MC601 is a fantastic little amp. My sound has improved by 100% bass, midrange, and treble. You haven't lived until you've heard 16 cycles. If possible try it beore you die. Pics will be up tomorrow:music:

Jerome W 03-08-2012 01:40 AM

Congrats Charles !
Your joy and excitement is highly apparent.
Enjoy them in great health.
As a new Wilson aficionado, I do understand this excitement quite well.
Waiting for the pics !

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Masterlu 03-08-2012 01:42 AM

Outstanding Charles... Looking forward to your further comments, and Pics!

Franklmu 03-08-2012 04:39 AM

Congrats Charles for this bass masterpiece:thumbsup:

I am impatient to discover your photos:yes:

Frank

Ritmo 03-08-2012 05:59 AM

Fantastic Charles! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the pictures.

Mike

jfray 03-08-2012 07:42 AM

Congrats!!!! We need pics.... :D

16 Hz!!! WOW

Charles 03-08-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklmu (Post 279855)
Congrats Charles for this bass masterpiece:thumbsup:

I am impatient to discover your photos:yes:

Frank

Pics are up under Community. There are plenty of them. Over the years Keith O. Johnson of Reference Recordings and I have had an on going contest. His goal is to produce low frequency notes no subwoofer would ever be able to play without buckeling and distorting and I to find a sub that would laugh at him. The sub of course would in addition have to be extremely musical and integrate with my main speakers. Not even the Krell MRS was up to this task. I mean this man seems bent on subwoofer self destruction. When I first read about the Thor I thought this just might be the one, and the lowboy configuration intrigued me. I was hopping against hope it wouldn't fit. I loved my Krell MRS. It was a mighty beast, more musical than any sub on the market producing some of the best bass I've ever heard with My MCXRT29's in the 30-80 Hz range. But although it was mighty from 18 Hz and above it just gave out below 16 Hz.

I have played all of professor Johnson's low frequency devils through the Thor at crazy levels. Enough to destroy my room. Here's the metaphor: Imagine the Thunder God sitting in his massive chair and professor Johnson standing before him on the Rainbow Bridge of Asgard. Thor is not even sweating but one can see little beads of fine sweat pop out on PJ's forehead. After each low frequency blast Thor laughs a belly laugh and slaps his knees. He says "Is that all you got?" Finally, after the last one is played Thor with a stern look on his face and with his mighty hammer knocks PJ off the Rainbow Bridge never to be seen again and that is the end of all the low frequency material I had collected over the years that no sub would play. The Maxes alone did a fantastic job on them, by giving a sample of what was there and not distorting but at the same time I knew more was there. The Thor expresses every last iota.:music:

chessman 03-08-2012 12:27 PM

Charles, a huge congrats for you!!

jwhite613 03-08-2012 12:31 PM

Charles... Congratulations!!! :thumbsup: Looked at the pictures, that thing is a beast! :yes:

Lildebs888 03-08-2012 12:44 PM

Just saw the photos - Love it!! :thumbsup:

Thor's Hammer is amazing... my dream subwoofer! :drool: