AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Focal Sopra n°2 speaker (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=32813)

saz 01-10-2016 03:55 PM

I am running a ModWright KWA-100SE amp with my Sopra N2s, which is a very good match. I auditioned the Sopra with a Simaudio 700i integrated which was another excellent choice. If I was looking for a different amp I would start by considering both Simaudio and Audio Research gear first. Doug Schneider used both Simaudio and Audio Research amps in his review on Soundstage HiFi (where it earned loudspeaker product of the year).

Either should be available used in the 3k to 5k range.

markol 01-12-2016 05:13 PM

I've red this thread from the start, and even though I have no experience with any of Hi-End line of Focal expect one time in the late 90's (at one friend who had Grand Utopias driven by NAT monos with two 845's per monoblock which was magical!), I'd love to hear next combo:
Accuphase DC37 / E600 / Sopra No.2 and all connected via Kimber Select cabes... :music:

Marko

miketuason 02-12-2016 04:35 AM

How is the Sopra compare to the McIntosh xr100?

John49 02-12-2016 06:12 AM

What I had wanted to do was compare Sopra 2 to Electra 1038 Be, but all dealers I contacted sold off their demo 1038s for the Sopra 2!

HiFiGuy528 02-13-2016 11:46 AM

I want to compare N2 to my 1999 Mezzo Utopia to see if it's worth making the change.

Shelly40 02-14-2016 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 759537)
What I had wanted to do was compare Sopra 2 to Electra 1038 Be, but all dealers I contacted sold off their demo 1038s for the Sopra 2!

I have the 1038Be, and today, I went to listen to he Sopra2.....

The end result is I will be keeping my 1038be.....

While the Sopra is a very nice speaker, it doesn't scream out for me to get them....

I actually like the bass better with the 1038s, as it has one more 7" woofer than the Sopra 2.....
Although, as we all know, that could have been due to the room .....

As far as the mids, and tweeter.... in my opinion, very similar.....

Not worth the $$ that it would cost to upgrade....
Not even really sure it would be an upgrade......

I guess the Scala would have to be the next step up for me.... as far as towers are concerned....

Also heard the Sopra 1.....

The Sopra 1 is a very nice sounding bookshelf speaker...
Now I could see myself with those in a second system, obviously with a sub.....

Just my opinion...

Shelly

kzhtoo 02-17-2016 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelly40 (Post 759971)
I have the 1038Be, and today, I went to listen to he Sopra2..... The end result is I will be keeping my 1038be..... While the Sopra is a very nice speaker, it doesn't scream out for me to get them.... I actually like the bass better with the 1038s, as it has one more 7" woofer than the Sopra 2..... Although, as we all know, that could have been due to the room ..... As far as the mids, and tweeter.... in my opinion, very similar..... Not worth the $$ that it would cost to upgrade.... Not even really sure it would be an upgrade...... I guess the Scala would have to be the next step up for me.... as far as towers are concerned.... Also heard the Sopra 1..... The Sopra 1 is a very nice sounding bookshelf speaker... Now I could see myself with those in a second system, obviously with a sub..... Just my opinion... Shelly

Thanks for the info. I'm in the same dilemma and decided to wait for No. 3.

Q3Di 02-22-2016 12:30 PM

Sopra No 2 vs Revel Salon 2

Has anyone listened to both Sopra 2 and Revel Salon 2?
I thought that Revel Salon 2 would be my top choice for my speakers list. But then the new hot automotive finished Sopra 2 caught my eye. I like its shape, finished, its compact size would be nice in my small-medium room.

Mikado463 02-22-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q3Di (Post 761803)
Has anyone listened to both Sopra 2 and Revel Salon 2?
I thought that Revel Salon 2 would be my top choice for my speakers list. But then the new hot automotive finished Sopra 2 caught my eye. I like its shape, finished, its compact size would be nice in my small-medium room.

A more direct comparison would be the Revel Studio 2's

John49 02-23-2016 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelly40 (Post 759971)
I have the 1038Be, and today, I went to listen to he Sopra2..... The end result is I will be keeping my 1038be..... While the Sopra is a very nice speaker, it doesn't scream out for me to get them.... I actually like the bass better with the 1038s, as it has one more 7" woofer than the Sopra 2..... Although, as we all know, that could have been due to the room ..... As far as the mids, and tweeter.... in my opinion, very similar..... Not worth the $$ that it would cost to upgrade.... Not even really sure it would be an upgrade...... I guess the Scala would have to be the next step up for me.... as far as towers are concerned.... Also heard the Sopra 1..... The Sopra 1 is a very nice sounding bookshelf speaker... Now I could see myself with those in a second system, obviously with a sub..... Just my opinion... Shelly

Shelley... Thank you for that.