AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Krell (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Krell re-introduces Class A (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24696)

Masterlu 01-03-2014 12:39 PM

Krell re-introduces Class A

Krell's history is rich with breakthrough Class A amplifiers that helped build the Krell legacy. Next week, at the International CES in Las Vegas, Krell will extend that legacy with the reintroduction of Class A operation in a brand new lineup of amplifiers.

Audiophiles have always considered Class A technology to be the best sounding operating state for amplifiers. However, despite Class A's unrivaled sound quality, it has fallen out of fashion because of recent demands to reduce power consumption and heat in home electronics products. Krell engineering took this challenge and developed iBias™. Krell iBias™ delivers Class A operation without the excessive heat and wasted energy of conventional designs. Different than any previous design, a Krell iBias amplifier continuously measures current flow through the amplifier's output transistors, and instantly adjusts the bias going to the transistors to suit the demand. The output transistors never shut off, yet very little power is wasted as heat. Not only does the amplifier consume less power, it runs cooler and can be built into a more compact chassis.

Housed in a striking new form factor, with network connectivity for advanced access and monitoring, our new amplifiers have a rich, lush, elegant midrange and top end that Class A is known for, with the superb bass and dynamics that has defined Krell amplifiers.

Masterlu 01-03-2014 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the new line up:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...1&d=1388767318

"Built in our Connecticut factory, our new family of Class A amplifiers exploit the musicality of advanced high resolution music and movie content with a new energy-efficient Class A topology that is perfect for today's consumer."

jdandy 01-03-2014 01:07 PM

Ivan.......I wonder what Krell means by "energy-efficient Class A topology". The very nature of Class A topology makes it an energy hog with much of the kilowatts consumed going up in radiated heat.

audio bill 01-03-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 566311)
Ivan.......I wonder what Krell means by "energy-efficient Class A topology". The very nature of Class A topology makes it an energy hog with much of the kilowatts consumed going up in radiated heat.

Quoting from the second paragraph of Ivan's original post above is the answer to your question, which describes what is effectively a new form of sliding bias... "Krell engineering took this challenge and developed iBias™. Krell iBias™ delivers Class A operation without the excessive heat and wasted energy of conventional designs. Different than any previous design, a Krell iBias amplifier continuously measures current flow through the amplifier's output transistors, and instantly adjusts the bias going to the transistors to suit the demand. The output transistors never shut off, yet very little power is wasted as heat. Not only does the amplifier consume less power, it runs cooler and can be built into a more compact chassis."

jdandy 01-03-2014 02:21 PM

Bill.......Thanks. I breezed over Krell's press blurb and didn't catch the iBias explanation. It will be interesting to see how this circuit actually sounds.

tdelahanty 01-03-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio.bill (Post 566321)
Quoting from the second paragraph of Ivan's original post above is the answer to your question, which describes what is effectively a new form of sliding bias... "Krell engineering took this challenge and developed iBias™. Krell iBias™ delivers Class A operation without the excessive heat and wasted energy of conventional designs. Different than any previous design, a Krell iBias amplifier continuously measures current flow through the amplifier's output transistors, and instantly adjusts the bias going to the transistors to suit the demand. The output transistors never shut off, yet very little power is wasted as heat. Not only does the amplifier consume less power, it runs cooler and can be built into a more compact chassis."

Same old cookies in a new wrapper, as you so astutely noted sliding bias is nothing new.

enit 01-03-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdelahanty (Post 566334)
Same old cookies in a new wrapper, as you so astutely noted sliding bias is nothing new.

Quite right.

Looks to me like Class A mimicking Class A/B with a couple of tweaks.

A bit late to the game. Noticed it's mentioned "elegant midrange", this IMHO is not something even the top end Krell is known for.

Krell's approach has always been to build them amps and "voice" them for the sake of "musicality", and never quite believed in reducing distortion.

To be frank, they've been out of the "game" for a while, and I know their business hasn't been all that great in comparison with some other bigger names now.

Network monitoring, would be something like the ML's features, Class A with iBiasy would be trying to top McIntosh on their efficient designs.

Looking at the prices, these look to be place left and right of better successful companies. The other tell tale sign is also the offerings, multi channel 5&7, and 3 channels, and price points of the stereo.

A "desperate" measure to reclaim some market share I reckon- "better" competition, with new innovation in Class A as the angle to reach the brand "sensitive" audience.

Not quite impressed, but I'm looking forward to hear them, to see if it's more marketing "fluff", and if they will be delivering the real goods this time round.

No mention on sources, DAC, preamp, Ivan?

The current models are still considerably hot- not warm, rubber feet melting heat, and Krell should know better that in these times, the bigger audience love a fully packaged system by a single company, rather than a mix-and-match of a variety of brands.

I'm a bit skeptical, but I'm open to being proved wrong. Looking forward to CES, and then listening to a full Krell setup.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

jdandy 01-03-2014 05:08 PM

enit.......:goodpost:

Mikeoz 01-03-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enit (Post 566339)
Quite right.

Looks to me like Class A mimicking Class A/B with a couple of tweaks.

A bit late to the game. Noticed it's mentioned "elegant midrange", this IMHO is not something even the top end Krell is known for.

Krell's approach has always been to build them amps and "voice" them for the sake of "musicality", and never quite believed in reducing distortion.

To be frank, they've been out of the "game" for a while, and I know their business hasn't been all that great in comparison with some other bigger names now.

Network monitoring, would be something like the ML's features, Class A with iBiasy would be trying to top McIntosh on their efficient designs.

Looking at the prices, these look to be place left and right of better successful companies. The other tell tale sign is also the offerings, multi channel 5&7, and 3 channels, and price points of the stereo.

A "desperate" measure to reclaim some market share I reckon- "better" competition, with new innovation in Class A as the angle to reach the brand "sensitive" audience.

Not quite impressed, but I'm looking forward to hear them, to see if it's more marketing "fluff", and if they will be delivering the real goods this time round.

No mention on sources, DAC, preamp, Ivan?

The current models are still considerably hot- not warm, rubber feet melting heat, and Krell should know better that in these times, the bigger audience love a fully packaged system by a single company, rather than a mix-and-match of a variety of brands.

I'm a bit skeptical, but I'm open to being proved wrong. Looking forward to CES, and then listening to a full Krell setup.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Sorry I'm new to this forum - is this guy a troll :scratch2:

jdandy 01-03-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeoz (Post 566374)
Sorry I'm new to this forum - is this guy a troll :scratch2:

Mikeoz.......No, enit is a valued member here.

You are welcome to post your point of view on Krell products if you'd like.