AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   ModWright Instruments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Oppo BDP 95 Modwright ! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9928)

Doug Lax 09-13-2011 01:48 PM

Oppo BDP 95 Modwright !

Does anyone have one of these what are your impressions.... I bet it is wicked !:yes::thumbsup:

JJinID 09-13-2011 02:33 PM

I will have my tube-modded Modwright 95 very soon - it's all ready to go outside of waiting for a digital input mod to be completed and installed. I posted about my status (in the context of the MVP881 thread) here: http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcint...tml#post204170

In the meantime I am continuing to enjoy my ModWright BDP-83 with the full solid-state mods which sounds excellent! :music: I do expect the higher end tube mods combined with the Sabre 32 reference dacs in the 95 to be fantastic and even better! :yes:

rnrmf1971 09-17-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 204650)
I will have my tube-modded Modwright 95 very soon - it's all ready to go outside of waiting for a digital input mod to be completed and installed. I posted about my status (in the context of the MVP881 thread) here: http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcint...tml#post204170

In the meantime I am continuing to enjoy my ModWright BDP-83 with the full solid-state mods which sounds excellent! :music: I do expect the higher end tube mods combined with the Sabre 32 reference dacs in the 95 to be fantastic and even better! :yes:

Wow! I'm really curious about how this changes the sound of the player. I've never heard a player as transparent as the BDP95. From my perspective it just needs a little bit of musicality to improve it. By musicality, I mean some kind of seductiveness/richness to really draw you in. The way it reveals details in recordings is something I've never heard before. I've been considering the Modwright mods, but don't want to lose that resolving quality of the player, either.

So you're going to receive a player with an added digital input? Did you get the upgraded cord between the power supply and player, too?

I can't wait to hear feedback on how your 95 turns out!

JJinID 09-17-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 206107)
Wow! I'm really curious about how this changes the sound of the player. I've never player as transparent as the BDP95. From my perspective it just needs a little bit of musicality to improve it. By musicality, I mean some kind of seductiveness/richness to really draw you in. The way it reveals details in recordings is something I've never heard before. I've been considering the Modwright mods, but don't want to lose that resolving quality of the player, either.

Everything I have heard from Dan and read is that the mods do exactly as you describe while maintaining if not increasing resolution. Here is Dan's description of the differences between stock 95 and his mods:

"What jumps right out at me is the increased soundstage depth and width. Secondly, the low-level information and aural cues are simply much more apparent with the modified unit. Detail and resolution excel with the modified unit, over stock, and stock is GOOD! The key differences are resolution, micro-detail/dynamics, decay and a natural ‘ease’ to the music."

My understanding is that Dan will be doing A/B comparisons of the stock 95 vs. the ModWright 95 at RMAF - I look forward to hearing the reports back from that from those who attend.

Quote:

So you're going to receive a player with an added digital input? Did you get the upgraded cord between the power supply and player, too?
Yes and Yes! :yes:

Quote:

I can't wait to hear feedback on how your 95 turns out!
I will let everyone know when I receive it and will definitely share my impressions! :music:

rnrmf1971 09-17-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 206256)
I will let everyone know when I receive it and will definitely share my impressions! :music:

Awesome! Good luck with it and I hope you get it soon!

djwhog 09-17-2011 05:02 PM

It should be great, i am next on the list to get done as well.

RoyMercer 09-30-2011 09:04 PM

Modwright BDP-Mod - Bybee rails

My BDP-95 Modwright mod is scheduled for the middle of Oct. Tell them to hurry up on yours so I can get mine done! :D

Did you also opt for the Bybee rail mod(s)? I am still debating if I am going to have them installed. If I do, I was thinking of only doing it for the 2 ch DAC. I am doing the SS MCH mod and the tube mod. I have bright speakers and at times I do notice a harsh edge on the MCH output, even with movies. What do you guys think on the Bybee rails?

Masterlu 10-01-2011 12:12 AM

RoyMercer... Welcome! :wave:

JJinID 10-01-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMercer (Post 211274)
My BDP-95 Modwright mod is scheduled for the middle of Oct. Tell them to hurry up on yours so I can get mine done! :D

Did you also opt for the Bybee rail mod(s)? I am still debating if I am going to have them installed. If I do, I was thinking of only doing it for the 2 ch DAC. I am doing the SS MCH mod and the tube mod. I have bright speakers and at times I do notice a harsh edge on the MCH output, even with movies. What do you guys think on the Bybee rails?

Welcome RoyMercer!

I believe the Bybee rails will be a worthwhile option and I had them done on mine! :yes: The SS muti-channel mods should smooth things out for you :thumbsup:

RoyMercer 10-01-2011 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info! Have you received your BDP-95 back from the mod yet?