AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Dynaudio Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   What powers your Dyns? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11745)

joeinid 11-06-2012 02:09 AM

Very sweet arien,

I bet it sounds wonderful. Well done!

joeinid 11-06-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKA_Hyfi (Post 385903)

Main setup used a Counterpoint NPS400 with NOS RCA Cleartops 6FQ7 to drive 82s

I used to have a Counterpoint SA-220 with 3.1 preamp. I loved that combo on my Apogee Duetta II ribbon speakers.

banswee 11-06-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arien (Post 389608)
Hi, This is my humble setup with Dyns

Amplifier: Mcintosh MC275 MKVI with Shuguang Treasures KT-88Z, Gold Lion 12AX7 & Gold Lion 12AT7
Preamp: Sumo Athena II
DAC: Rega DAC
Transport: Sony NS9100ES
Streamer: SB Touch
Interconnect: Nordost Heimdall, Chord Chorus, Transparent Music Plus
Digital cables: Black Cat Veloce, DH LAB Silver sonic d-75
Power Cables: QED Qonduit
CD Player: Marantz CD-63SE
Speakers: Dynaudio Contour S1.4 on Stand 4

Arien, I love that MC275's with Contour!! :thumbsup::banana:

Question, are yo getting what you want on your sound in regards in how the speakers are spaced?

Thanks

arien 11-06-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 389612)
Very sweet arien,

I bet it sounds wonderful. Well done!

Thank you Joe!

arien 11-06-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banswee (Post 389624)
Arien, I love that MC275's with Contour!! :thumbsup::banana:

Question, are yo getting what you want on your sound in regards in how the speakers are spaced?

Thanks

Thanks Jason!

That's good pickup Jason and I believe the answer is no as the dyns need space to sound their best. Unfortunately I don't have the space at the moment, my listening room is only 3m x 4m. I listen mostly on low volume level and I'm happy by the way it sounds but when you crank up the volume, it's a different experience, reflections are everywhere and complex passages becomes messy.

Cheers
Arien

Josquin des Prez 11-06-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arien (Post 389648)
Thanks Jason!

That's good pickup Jason and I believe the answer is no as the dyns need space to sound their best. Unfortunately I don't have the space at the moment, my listening room is only 3m x 4m. I listen mostly on low volume level and I'm happy by the way it sounds but when you crank up the volume, it's a different experience, reflections are everywhere and complex passages becomes messy.

Cheers
Arien

Some slight toe-in might help, especially with imaging at higher volume.

I had a pair of these in a 5.5m x 3.5m meter room, and now have S3.4s in that room. Getting the toe-in right is critical and can make a big difference with these speakers.

arien 11-06-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceTripper (Post 389669)
Some slight toe-in might help, especially with imaging at higher volume.

I had a pair of these in a 5.5m x 3.5m meter room, and now have S3.4s in that room. Getting the toe-in right is critical and can make a big difference with these speakers.

Thank you for the advice Dean, I will dertainly try that once i get home.

cheers
andrei

Dieselsy 11-07-2012 12:00 PM

Mark Levinson 431 for my confidence 2

EightZeroZeroDelta 11-12-2012 05:11 PM

Bump!

AKA_Hyfi 11-12-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EightZeroZeroDelta (Post 393464)
Bump!

Well I have been enjoying my Tertiary setup the more I listen to it.

I replaced stranded RS speaker cable for my Tara Labs Prism solid core wires for some solid improvements. It's hard to believe how good a little pair of bookshelf speakers can really sound.

What the heck am I talking about? My little Audience 42s driven by an Odyssey Stratos. Not the most refined amp, but the power and slam to drive the little guys to their potential. The older Hafler 945 Pre is the weak link after the OPPO93 for CD playback. I put this together to be able to stream movies and music to a small 2ch setup in the Family room.

If I want better sound, and want to fill the FR and the Kitchen, I drive the secondary setup of JM Labs Tantal 509s, Rotel 1052 Integrated, and another OPPO93, or the main LR rig.

But, back to the 42s. They are putting out what feels like deeper bass than my large Clearfields. Like the rest of the Audience line, they are still a bit rolled off at the top but are holding up to the music I regularly play. I listen to a wide range but I lean towards bass heavy Fusion, Jazz-Fusion and 60s-70s Rock. They can convincingly reproduce the bass on Marcus Miller M2, maybe not to the bottom but still nicely. I am setup in a nearfield, 8 feet from the speakers, and not even on stands or at the same height. If setup properly and one was blindfolded before entering the room, they would swear it was a bigger speaker. My recent finds are Chad Smith and the Meatbats, and out of that, Jeff Kollman.

Anyway, thought I would bump this along and give praise to one of Dynaudio's smallest offering.

Cheers, now back to another Langunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin