AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Clock experiments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27643)

custodian 07-23-2014 09:21 AM

Clock experiments

Over the last year, I've been using a special rubidium clock as master clock for my DCS system. The clock is a prototype from one of the leading digital timing companies in which they synch rubidium with an ocxo to get the benefits of both.

Because this was such a step up from the standard Scarlatti and Vivaldi clocks, I decided to investigate what further refinements in clock accuracy were possible. Last week I received here a prototype clock using a BVA crystal. This is the ultimate development of the OCXO to improve phase noise by an order of magnitude.

Results? A huge increase in sound quality through a reduction of remaining digital edge. I am amazed how much cleaner the sound is. Sound has an analogue sweetness but with great resolution.

Downsides? Two main ones. First cost: the only commercial example made for the HiFi world is $35k although should be possible to build one for nearer $10-15k; second drawback is stabilisation is quite slow, typically 48 hours to get to peak performance.

It really is surprising how big an effect these timing refinements can make to sound quality.

Robert_Anderson 07-23-2014 10:39 AM

Will an Esoteric clock work with your system? Mine was around 16K, it made a significant difference with my Esoteric separates. 35K for rubidium clock seems absurd. I use them in the radar system I manage and they are closer to 5K.

custodian 07-23-2014 02:18 PM

You misread my post. I have replaced the rubidium clock with a BVA clock. A different animal altogether. Short term accuracy is an order of magnitude ahead of the Esoteric clock!

marsalis 07-25-2014 11:42 AM

Can you provide some more info on the BVA clock?

custodian 07-25-2014 06:28 PM

It's a prototype built around an Oscilloquartz BVA8607b double oven OCXO mounted in a damped enclosure with a stiff power supply. A bit of a bench top prototype but not so difficult to turn into a finished product.

jfrech 07-25-2014 07:22 PM

Very interesting post. I've been creeping up the dCS stack...I know the clock and the clock cables make a BIG difference. I've used the dCS U Clock and currently the dCS Scarlatti Clock.

Clock cables i've tried are the stock dCS, Cardas Lightning 15 (excellent value and smashes the stock cables), Purist Proteous Provectus Praesto and now Transparent Ref XL digital.

All BNC to BNC

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus MM2 & Trans Ref MM MM2 Intcnct.
Power Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Anaconda Zitron cords (x9)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC & dCS Scarlatti Clock & Transport with Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Schroder LT arm, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)

custodian 07-26-2014 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfrech (Post 626014)
Very interesting post. I've been creeping up the dCS stack...I know the clock and the clock cables make a BIG difference. I've used the dCS U Clock and currently the dCS Scarlatti Clock. Clock cables i've tried are the stock dCS, Cardas Lightning 15 (excellent value and smashes the stock cables), Purist Proteous Provectus Praesto and now Transparent Ref XL digital. All BNC to BNC Speakers: Rockport Altair 2 Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus MM2 & Trans Ref MM MM2 Intcnct. Power Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Anaconda Zitron cords (x9) Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC & dCS Scarlatti Clock & Transport with Transparent Reference XL Digital cables Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Schroder LT arm, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)

There are big improvements to be had by installing a master clock with higher short term accuracy than the DCS clock. Certainly clock cables also worth experimenting with. I've had good results with the Vertex range although they are not well known in the USA. Apart from those, my cables of choice are Siltech with MIT for power to digital components. But do improve the clock before the cables: there's more to be gained with doing that.

joeling 07-26-2014 10:02 AM

Are u talking about the master clock or the reference clock ?

Robert_Anderson 07-26-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by custodian (Post 625475)
You misread my post. I have replaced the rubidium clock with a BVA clock. A different animal altogether. Short term accuracy is an order of magnitude ahead of the Esoteric clock!

Sorry about that, I will have to look into it.

custodian 07-26-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeling (Post 626113)
Are u talking about the master clock or the reference clock ?

I'm talking about adding an external reference in addition to the DCS clock. The additional clock outputs a reference 10mHz signal which the DCS clock locks to rather than its own Clock.