AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Opinions on Sony short throw projectors (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45856)

1KW 05-20-2019 07:33 AM

Opinions on Sony short throw projectors

I saw a Sony short throw projector , it was maybe 8-10 inches from a 120 inch screen picture looked great even with all the lights on in the room . I am considering this for my place in Florida . Anyone have experience pro or con ?

mtroo 05-20-2019 10:15 PM

:lurk:

jdandy 05-21-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 965393)
I saw a Sony short throw projector , it was maybe 8-10 inches from a 120 inch screen picture looked great even with all the lights on in the room . I am considering this for my place in Florida . Anyone have experience pro or con ?

David.......I have not seen any of the new Sony short throw projectors in action, but I have looked at then online. The price points are fairly steep for the 85" to 120" capable projectors. My opinion leans toward the better value of a 75" or 85" full array local dimming LCD or an OLED television. In general nearly all projectors have far lower contrast ratios and light output, thus requiring you to have control over ambient lighting both day and night for the best possible pictures, especially during the day time hours in rooms with exposure to outside daylight. That's not to say I haven't seen some great projector presentations, but always in near total darkness for the best picture.

I think that dollar for dollar and overall performance under all lighting conditions a full array local dimming LCD or an OLED television makes better sense unless the projector is going to be installed in a dedicated room that can take full advantage of external light control. Sony's newest 2019 premium 85" LCD, the X950G 85 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV with HDR (XBR85X950G) is less the $5K. That's the way to go.

http://4k.com/wp-content/uploads/201...x95glcd-2l.jpg

nicoff 05-21-2019 11:33 AM

I agree with many of the things that jdandy pointed out. However, imo a 85 inch TV is too small for what I would consider a "home theather". When one is talking 120 inch, only a projector will do. To put in in perspective, a 120 inch diagonal screen has twice the area of a 85 inch diagonal TV. With the right amount of light control (and it does not have to be 100% dark) there is just no comparison in terms of the visual impact of a 120 inch screen.

1KW 05-21-2019 12:32 PM

I want 120 inches

jdandy 05-21-2019 01:13 PM

I guess size really does matter. . :laughin:

W9TR 05-21-2019 01:40 PM

If you want 120” then the price of entry is a Liquid Crystal on Silicon imager. JVC markets this technology as DILA and Sony as SXRD. If you are not susceptible to frame sequential flicker a TI DLP based projector may work for you.
Ceiling mount, screen specified to meet your viewing requirements.

3 panel LCD projectors need not apply.

Short throw optics are a massive compromise.

Tom

nicoff 05-21-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 965564)
If you want 120” then the price of entry is a Liquid Crystal on Silicon imager. JVC markets this technology as DILA and Sony as SXRD. If you are not susceptible to frame sequential flicker a TI DLP based projector may work for you.

Tom

I have owned JVC DILA projectors for many years and highly recommend them. Totally agree on ultra short throw optics being a compromise.
To the OP, have you considered rear projection?

Masterlu 05-21-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 965564)

Tom

I sell very few short throw projectors for that reason.

PHC1 05-21-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 965552)
I want 120 inches

Minimum viewing distance should be at least 20 ft away for a 120" screen according to the experts. Are you sure you need 120" ? :smoking: