AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustical Treatments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Placing and attaching several Vicoustic Panels (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41357)

crwilli 11-30-2017 09:21 PM

Placing and attaching several Vicoustic Panels

I recently purchased a Greyhound bus load of various Vicoustic products from fellow AA’er MisterBritt. ;)

Now I am tentatively planning on installing four Wavewood 120 panels on my front wall behind and between the speakers. I have four of the poly wood diffusers that I intend to mount on the back wall about 4’ behind my listening positions.

While I have the correct adhesive to attach the wavewood panels to the wall but I am trying to figure out a less destructive method for my walls. The panels are polyurethane foam next to the wall so they have little strength.

My current thought is to glue an angled (45 degrees?) piece of 1” x 1/2” wood to the back and a mirror to the wall such that the angles catch. I think it is called a French cleat. That way, the wall only sees two screw holes...

I need to research how Vicoustic’s attaches the poly wood diffusers but I think I can handle them.

Any ideas on the Wavewood panels?

Craig

crwilli 11-30-2017 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found these on Amazon. Key question is - Will the Polyurethane adhesive stick the aluminum clear to the foam? I will attach two of these to each 120 panel. Complicates the measurements but it will keep them flat to the wall.

Attachment 52884

jameslrock 11-30-2017 10:23 PM

Debbie’s brand new walls. Eeeek.

crwilli 11-30-2017 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 52885

Here is where I plan to place the 120s horizontally. They will be about 2’ higher off the floor.

tima 11-30-2017 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 883103)
I found these on Amazon. Key question is - Will the Polyurethane adhesive stick the aluminum clear to the foam? I will attach two of these to each 120 panel. Complicates the measurements but it will keep them flat to the wall.

Attachment 52884

The Stillpoints Apertures which have a wood frame use similar French cleet hangers for permanent mounting. They take a single cleet at the top of the frame and one on the wall. Is there anything on the back of the Vicoustic panels besides foam to which you could attach them?

You might consider 3M Command Strips, but I don't know how well those stick to foam.

Edit: looking at the picture of your panels I wonder if there is enough clear wood at the top. If so, maybe you could use spacers to offset the cleet from the panel. Just speculation.

PlanarSpeakerFan 11-30-2017 11:38 PM

I know people who have screwed to the wall a pegboard or a thin piece of plywood the same size as the acoustic panel and attached the Vicoustic panel to it using their recommended adhesive. This approach will preserve your sheet rock.

Ken

Puma Cat 12-01-2017 12:03 AM

Speaking of buying Vicoustic panels, anyone know where they can be purchased? I am having trouble finding them for sale.

crwilli 12-01-2017 12:07 AM

I like the idea of adhering another panel to the Wavewood foam side and hanging that! I have a project tomorrow.

Stephan, can’t help with purchasing. I found Britt.

crwilli 12-01-2017 12:08 AM

BTW the Wave panels only have foam in the rear.

crwilli 12-01-2017 12:09 AM

I think a thin panel on the back and French cleats will work the nuts.