AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sports (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Daytona 500 Finish (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47616)

Still-One 02-17-2020 09:24 PM

Daytona 500 Finish

While waiting for a show to start we turned on the TV and saw the crazy finish to the delayed Daytona 500. Due to crashes and restarts it went to extra laps and turned out to be the longest 500 ever. The second closest finish ever and one of the wildest crashes on the last lap. I am hoping that that driver survives. While he was upside down in the air another car hit his car right in the drivers seat.

That crash will be shown for many years.

Puma Cat 02-17-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 995834)
While waiting for a show to start we turned on the TV and saw the crazy finish to the delayed Daytona 500. Due to crashes and restarts it went to extra laps and turned out to be the longest 500 ever. The second closest finish ever and one of the wildest crashes on the last lap. I am hoping that that driver survives. While he was upside down in the air another car hit his cat right in the drivers seat.

That crash will be shown for many years.

Yeah, that was bad. Really hoping Ryan is okay...

Still-One 02-17-2020 09:39 PM

Here is the finsh. Watch the rplay of the crash at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1nw...&frags=pl%2Cwn

crwilli 02-17-2020 09:58 PM

Praying for Ryan Newman. Getting hit while in the air by a vehicle going 100+mph was not good at all.

Formerly YB-2 02-18-2020 09:30 AM

Have not heard if there will be a penalty for the driver that spun Newman, who latest reports say will be OK.

Audio 1 02-18-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 995878)
Have not heard if there will be a penalty for the driver that spun Newman, who latest reports say will be OK.

There is not a penalty in Nascar for contact in super speedway racing.
The rules actually allow for this in the Cup series.

crwilli 02-18-2020 11:11 AM

Daytona 500 Finish

Yep, ‘hooking’ bumpers and pushing the car ahead of you provides a significant aerodynamic and power advantage for both cars. It really is fantastic to watch. They are all foot to floor flat out. What sets them apart is how well they each use the aerodynamic benefits of the push or side drafting etc.

It was an unfortunate ending but well within the rules as far as I can tell. The second place car that pushed Ryan Newman was doing what everyone of them including Ryan, would have done for a ‘fellow’ manufacturers Racecar to help them win. It just didn’t work out.

MarSanz 02-21-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 995883)
Yep, ‘hooking’ bumpers and pushing the car ahead of you provides a significant aerodynamic and power advantage for both cars. It really is fantastic to watch. They are all foot to floor flat out. What sets them apart is how well they each use the aerodynamic benefits of the push or side drafting etc.

It was an unfortunate ending but well within the rules as far as I can tell. The second place car that pushed Ryan Newman was doing what everyone of them including Ryan, would have done for a ‘fellow’ manufacturers Racecar to help them win. It just didn’t work out.

+1

multiham 02-22-2020 12:24 AM

I am a huge NASCAR fan and there are 2 tracks that I wish NASCAR could change. They are Daytona and Talladega. I feel that is not racing but instead just a big dangerous wreck waiting to happen. At other tracks, great drivers with good cars win. At these tracks, anyone can win if you are lucky enough to avoid the big one. So many fans like these wrecks. I couldn’t go to sleep until I saw that Newman was ok. As soon as he did not lower the net on his car, I thought the worse had happened. So glad he was able to walk out of the hospital on Wednesday. The safety improvements put in after the Dale Earnhardt tragedy have saved a few lives.

Formerly YB-2 02-22-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multiham (Post 996223)
The safety improvements put in after the Dale Earnhardt tragedy have saved a few lives.

Took NASCAR until Earnhardt to adopt the post Aryton Senna safety measures of F1. Slow learners.