AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   B&W Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Speaker scratched (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1710)

crytklmass 07-26-2009 06:51 PM

Speaker scratched

Well I guess it happens to everyone at some point. well, maybe not.
My children were playing with there toys and normally avoid my audio gear like the plague, but had an accident and scratched my speaker.
Enough to notice. I had to take a walk to calm down, there twins 6 and age 3. Each blaming the other, the look in there faces priceless. They must have thought flames were going to shoot from my eyes.
I guess that was fear enough. Well, time to fix my scratches.s.s.s.s more than 1. arghhhhh. My dealer gave me a wax stick. (M.L. campbell wood finishing systems) color looks like rich cherry. He told me to heat the stick to melt it. Let a piece drop onto the scratch: rub in, buff out.
Seems simple but now the scratch almost looks "brighter" more noticeable than before. Maybe the color is wrong. My speakers are ROSENUT. Can I buy a rosenut wood stain from home depot or lowes? will something like that work better. I also noticed on the back of my sub, B&W 855 Rosenut the veneer finish appears to be fading. wtf. how can I fix veneer thats fading away.
Previous to owning wood veneer speakers I owned Mirage M-3's with piano black finish. I think my next speakers will be similar or Wilson's. I wish the wood was real finish and not veneer. Well, got off topic for a minute. Sorry.. any ideas for scratch repair. This was my dealers only suggestion. He said it came from B&W direct, even though I think he just consulted his restoration employee. anyways... back to music..:music:
..................This is the BEST forum................

gregswaim 07-26-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crytklmass (Post 29625)
Well I guess it happens to everyone at some point. well, maybe not.
My children were playing with there toys and normally avoid my audio gear like the plague, but had an accident and scratched my speaker.
Enough to notice. I had to take a walk to calm down, there twins 6 and age 3. Each blaming the other, the look in there faces priceless. They must have thought flames were going to shoot from my eyes.
I guess that was fear enough. Well, time to fix my scratches.s.s.s.s more than 1. arghhhhh. My dealer gave me a wax stick. (M.L. campbell wood finishing systems) color looks like rich cherry. He told me to heat the stick to melt it. Let a piece drop onto the scratch: rub in, buff out.
Seems simple but now the scratch almost looks "brighter" more noticeable than before. Maybe the color is wrong. My speakers are ROSENUT. Can I buy a rosenut wood stain from home depot or lowes? will something like that work better. I also noticed on the back of my sub, B&W 855 Rosenut the veneer finish appears to be fading. wtf. how can I fix veneer thats fading away.
Previous to owning wood veneer speakers I owned Mirage M-3's with piano black finish. I think my next speakers will be similar or Wilson's. I wish the wood was real finish and not veneer. Well, got off topic for a minute. Sorry.. any ideas for scratch repair. This was my dealers only suggestion. He said it came from B&W direct, even though I think he just consulted his restoration employee. anyways... back to music..:music:
..................This is the BEST forum................

Places like " Ethan Allan" have furniture markers that can take care of those scratches. Most cabinet manufacturers have similar markers to match their wood products. Wood veneers are used on speakers,even ultra high end models, because solid wood cabinets resonate and cause sound issues.

jdandy 07-26-2009 07:18 PM

crytklmass.......That is disheartening news. No one likes to find scratches in their beloved speakers. Why not contact B&W to see if they may have the stain available?

80B 07-26-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 29635)
crytklmass.......That is disheartening news. No one likes to find scratches in their beloved speakers. Why not contact B&W to see if they may have the stain available?

+1

Masterlu 07-26-2009 08:24 PM

A professional furniture repair man will make them disappear. When I moved from Springhill FL to Ft Lauderdale FL some of my high end furniture & speakers suffered huge negligence.

To my amazement, the Ins Company turned me on to an amazing individual. Steve (a good friend now) who owns a furniture repair business took care of me.

Like the commercial for ServePro "Like it Never Happened"!

He was even able to lift dents in the wood out!

Have faith!

Still-One 07-26-2009 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree. Just about every furniture store has someone who can handle the repair. It will take several steps but you will have a difficult time telling where the scratch was when they are finished.

Remember, it could be worse.

crytklmass 07-26-2009 10:26 PM

I was really upset, but the speakers can be fixed. There only kids, they were very sorry, hugging me, kissing me, bringing me a pop from the fridge and veggies. Almost broke my heart. I didn't yell or scream at them. (wouldn't have helped anyways)
I'm sure they read the reaction in my face.
I explained to them there only speakers, they'll get fixed. same as there toys.
Ill call my local furniture store tomorrow. There family owned. been in business over 30 years, custom make furniture, etc. There a bit pricey but worth the money. We pay for quality not quantity.
your correct Stillone, It could have been worse, I remember the post (not mentioning names) of someone's B&W 802d tweeter that got broken.

jdandy 07-26-2009 10:38 PM

crytklmass.......I understand the feeling very well. Many years ago a pair of JBL L100's with the orange squares foam grills became my girlfriend's cat's scratching post. I came home one day to find both L100 grills in bits and pieces on the floor in front of each speaker. My blood pressure shot through the roof. I can't tell you how close that cat came to becoming a chamois cloth.

Masterlu 07-26-2009 10:41 PM

Sham-Meow! :lmao:

jdandy 07-26-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 29675)
Sham-Meow! :lmao:

:laughin: You got that right. The only thing that save that cat from sudden death syndrome was my girlfriend, and only because she was very good. :naughty: