AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Step Outside - what do you hear? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48375)

W9TR 07-24-2020 08:44 AM

Step Outside - what do you hear?

It’s 7:45 AM here in the Northwoods. I hear wind in the treetops, birds, a few squirrels chattering, and the occasional fish jumping in the lake. The frogs are quiet this AM, don’t know why. There is a woodpecker eating bugs out of one of the trees. I can barely hear a truck plying the county road about a mile away as the crow flies.

So, step outside and tell us what you hear.

Antonmb 07-24-2020 11:17 AM

8:10 here in the Cascade foothills: a cool breeze rustling the leaves of a red maple, big cottonwoods, and the Doug firs on the hill behind the house; water splashing in the fountain; a quiet wind chime sounding like a channel bell; a hummingbird buzzing by on its way to the feeder; and faint thunder in the distance to the northwest.

edkoz 07-24-2020 02:57 PM

I lived in Oregon for many years and I remember those sounds so well. Do miss them.:yes:
Ed

Higgens 07-24-2020 03:08 PM

Living on a private golf course has it’s plusses and minuses. One big negative is the daily noise from mowers, trimmers, leaf blowers, etc., etc. There are, however, times of the day when all is quiet and peaceful. I’ve learned to appreciate and enjoy those moments.

crwilli 07-24-2020 04:23 PM

Higgens, I would say the same thing. At 0545 this morning I was listening to birds and watching Herons feed in my lagoon. 30 minutes later I was listening to huge sprinklers spray water across the fairway behind me and fall rain like in the lagoon. 30 minutes later is was a tractor with a huge fan blowing the fairway surface water off. Good and bad.

bart 07-24-2020 04:40 PM

A not so quiet but nevertheless very nice evening here in our garden.
Our youngest daughter celebrating her boyfriends' anniversary with a couple of friends.
They're playing music through a decent bluetooth speaker and we're amazed at their good taste: it's all music from the 70s and 80s! :D

onehole150 07-24-2020 07:52 PM

What do I hear?

Surprise - AZ. about 25 miles from Luke Air Force base.

2-3 days a week around 3:30 I hear as many as 8 F35 jets in pairs coming in for a landing at Luke. Sometimes F-16's in a group of 4 come in as well.
I quit working in my shop each day at 3 and shortly after I'm in my pool (6 mo. swim season) to wind down for the day. One of my customers is a pilot at Luke who's an instructor at Luke. Not long ago he said I should watch for him. The jets usually come in pairs. Student in the front and the trainer close behind. It was about a month or so later; I was in the pool and I could hear them coming from the SW (they have a training facility, bombing/shooting) in SW AZ. I looked up as they came over the house and sure enough, the 4th F-16 did a few quick wing dips as they flew over the house. A week later he called and asked if I saw anything different. It was him. He's no longer a trainer. He was accepted as a alternate with their thunderbird group and they usually fly F-16's.

I can tell you first hand the F-16 is much quieter than the F35. Most of the time they are all considerate of the area; however the few times we have cloud cover and they come in fast; it's loud. I was told most of the time they use ground land marks to come in for their approach to the base. I live about .75 of a mile from the Texas Rangers spring training complex and they use that as a reference. When they pass over the complex they make a wide right hand bank towards the south for their approach to the base.

I moved from Penna. 25+ years ago. I love the AZ heat (mostly) but I do miss shade. In addition I don't mind the Jet noise. It lasts for seconds and it's only a few days a week.

Antonmb 07-25-2020 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehole150 (Post 1009785)
Surprise - AZ. about 25 miles from Luke Air Force base.

2-3 days a week around 3:30 I hear as many as 8 F35 jets in pairs coming in for a landing at Luke. Sometimes F-16's in a group of 4 come in as well.

I quit working in my shop each day at 3 and shortly after I'm in my pool (6 mo. swim season) to wind down for the day. One of my customers is a pilot at Luke who's an instructor at Luke. Not long ago he said I should watch for him. The jets usually come in pairs. Student in the front and the trainer close behind. It was about a month or so later; I was in the pool and I could hear them coming from the SW (they have a training facility, bombing/shooting) in SW AZ. I looked up as they came over the house and sure enough, the 4th F-16 did a few quick wing dips as they flew over the house. A week later he called and asked if I saw anything different. It was him. He's no longer a trainer. He was accepted as a alternate with their thunderbird group and they usually fly F-16's.

I can tell you first hand the F-16 is much quieter than the F35. Most of the time they are all considerate of the area; however the few times we have cloud cover and they come in fast; it's loud. I was told most of the time they use ground land marks to come in for their approach to the base. I live about .75 of a mile from the Texas Rangers spring training complex and they use that as a reference. When they pass over the complex they make a wide right hand bank towards the south for their approach to the base.

I moved from Penna. 25+ years ago. I love the AZ heat (mostly) but I do miss shade. In addition I don't mind the Jet noise. It lasts for seconds and it's only a few days a week.

Nice story. I did spend a couple of seconds wondering why you being in AZ is such a surprise.:doh:

Still-One 07-25-2020 08:35 AM

This morning it was birds, a woodpecker and two Sand Hill Cranes. They were noisy buggers but fun to watch.