AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Incredible surprise....Wyred for Sound DAC-2 in the house!! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8339)

Vintage Pete 05-12-2011 09:11 PM

Incredible surprise....Wyred for Sound DAC-2 in the house!!

Once in a great while, we find a community of people who not only share a passion for a hobby, but truly share a sense of friendship and comraderie with one another. In the two years this forum has been in existence, it's become very evident that this is such a community.

Yesterday, I received a call from Ivan, who told me that a fellow forum member had a piece of gear he had decided not to use any more, and was pretty sure I would like to have the component. Since he did not know my address, he sent the item to Ivan and asked if he wouldn't mind forwarding it on to me. Ivan wouldn't tell me much other than the item is bigger than a breadbox, its value is over $1,000, that I don't have (and want) one, and that I will love it. Needless to say, I've been going crazy since yesterday in anticipation of this "mystery package". I could hardly get to sleep last night! :sheep:

Today, the package arrives....lo and behold inside the box is a Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DAC, a component I've had a keen interest in for some time. Inside the box with the DAC is a note from Reg (aka BearCubinNY)
explaining that he'd followed my posts with regard to this device, and he'd been planning to send it to me for some time. Seems he preferred a unit that had A-D capability as well as D-A capability. Aside from that, Reg tells me that this unit is a very fine performer. I don't doubt that for a minute, from the reviews I have read on the product. Dan (aka jdandy) has been very instrumental in steering my interest toward this product, even kindly sending me a copy of the February issue of The Absolute Sound, which contains a very positive review of the product.

I am practically speechless over this extremely thoughtful and generous gesture on Reg's part, and even more so given the fact that right now, my situation is forbidding me to expend anything on system upgrades. All I can say is THANK YOU THANK YOU Reg for what you have done, I've no doubt that I will enjoy this component immensely, teamed up with my McIntosh MCD7009 which will now serve as a transport.

I have not as yet hooked up the unit, UPS didn't arrive until 7:30 PM, and I've done little more than clear the area I had anticipated using (next to my turntable) if the day came when I could swing the purchase of one of these DAC's. (This DAC is the "black" version, and looks just fine in its new "home"). Next I'll be setting off to get the unit integrated in my rig. I may or may not have cabling of sufficient length for the digital connection, and I think for now at least, I'll be using unbalanced interconnects for the analog connection to my McIntosh C40 Control Center. I will try to post some initial impressions later this evening, provided of course I'm able to get it fully connected this evening. Then at some point I will review the unit's performance in my setup more fully.

Thank you SO MUCH again Reg....thank you Ivan for all you do and have done for all of us, and thank you to all my friends here on the forum, "The Friendly forum", for being here and making this forum the terrific place that it is. What a great place. :yes:

Pete

jwhite613 05-12-2011 09:21 PM

Congratulations Pete And what a wonderful gesture from Reg. Ivan here is another thing that is just great about this site you have created. Kudos to all.

JJinID 05-12-2011 09:26 PM

Congratulations Pete! And what an incredibly kind and thoughtful gesture from Reg! :thumbsup:

I am very excited for you Pete and I am very much looking forward to hearing your impressions of the DAC-2 in your system. I have a feeling you are going to be very pleased! :yes:

jdandy 05-12-2011 09:35 PM

Pete.......Congratulations. The Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 will bring your MCD7009 up to the current performance levels you have been longing for. I am happy for you.

Reg.......You are the man. What a kind and generous gift. I am impressed with your kindness, and I could not be happier that you chose Pete. Way to go. :thumbsup:

MC352 05-12-2011 09:36 PM

Pete,

Wow, that's really fantastic. As you said, there are some very nice people in this group.

Enjoy your DAC! Don't forget to sleep!

Reg, that was very nice of you to do that. Ivan and Dan, you too. :D

joeinid 05-12-2011 09:40 PM

Wow! Congratulations Pete! I can feel your enthusiasm through my computer. It feels good :) And Reg, that was a super gesture. I commend you for that. I've met Reg in person and he truly is a sweetheart. A true asset to AA and a kind gentleman. It looks to me like AA attracts the best of the best.

Enjoy your now DAC Pete! Please tell us how you like it when the excitement settles down.

Joe

Joe 05-12-2011 09:46 PM

Ditto to all of the above!
AMAZING!
Congrats and let the party begin!
J

Masterlu 05-12-2011 10:06 PM

I am simply all smiles that this forum has evolved into such a wonderful place.

Reg... what can I say that hasn't already been said; thank you for being you!

Pete... please allow me to contribute whatever cable(s) you may need to enjoy your new DAC!

All the Best! :o

Ritmo 05-12-2011 10:16 PM

Reg - Fantastic! What a special gesture.

Pete - Enjoy!

AA - Doesn't get any better than this!

Mike

BearCubinNY 05-12-2011 10:33 PM

It was truly my pleasure to send the DAC-2 to Pete. I knew that he would appreciate the device. AA has proven to be such a great and rare place to share this hobby. Enjoy Pete!

Oh and Da Bulls just romped in Atlanta. Bring on the Heat!

Reg