AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Revel Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Not Happy With The F208 Spikes? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35094)

Pio 03-09-2016 10:23 PM

Not Happy With The F208 Spikes?

I am thrilled with my Revel F208's. But I am not a fan of the standard spikes that come with the speaker. Especially when comparing those spikes to the ones on my 802D2's - which are incredibly overbuilt, gorgeous and highly adjustable.

Well, I have been giving a lot of thought to what would work well in isolating the 208's while also looking better than the standard spikes and for $106 (incl tax and delivery) I discovered a solution that works incredibly well and looks like a Harman part!
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...psf5qb20wg.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...pspknwqx56.jpg

My Revels are now sitting on the SVSound Soundpath Subwoofer isolation system. This is SVSs' solution to isolating their monster subs from the floor. The kit brings 3 different types of machine screws, one of which is the thread match.

I like it much more than the puny stock spikes and the bit of extra height actually works great with my sitting position.

Anyways, wanted to share...

tutomac 03-10-2016 05:26 PM

Very cool, indeed.

crwilli 03-10-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutomac (Post 766315)
Very cool, indeed.

+1. Nice job!

tutomac 03-22-2016 10:07 AM

How are you liking these? Visually they seem attractive. Have they influenced the sound in any way?
Thanks,

Pio 03-22-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutomac (Post 768747)
How are you liking these? Visually they seem attractive. Have they influenced the sound in any way?
Thanks,

Hey Hector

They look like factory pieces, very happy with the result. They definitely do an incredible job of isolating the speakers from the floor, I swear the bass sounds tighter and more defined. I can't do a meaningful AB comparison, and since the speakers are fairly new, what I am hearing might just be the break in.

These do make the speakers taller by (guesstimate) just under an inch, which worked out fine for me, but I can see a situation where the speaker would be a bit too tall for the listening position. These aren't adjustable, only down side.

tutomac 03-22-2016 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio (Post 768792)
Hey Hector

They look like factory pieces, very happy with the result. They definitely do an incredible job of isolating the speakers from the floor, I swear the bass sounds tighter and more defined. I can't do a meaningful AB comparison, and since the speakers are fairly new, what I am hearing might just be the break in.

These do make the speakers taller by (guesstimate) just under an inch, which worked out fine for me, but I can see a situation where the speaker would be a bit too tall for the listening position. These aren't adjustable, only down side.

good to know. I ordered a set for my subs. I was going to evaluate that and consider adding them to my towers if I liked what I heard. My new speakers however are already 53" tall (Bryston Model T), so I may decide against them... we'll see...

Thank you for your response:thumbsup:

BTW I really like your residence. From other pics you might have posted here it Looks like you have a beautiful view of... NYC?

Happy Listening

Pio 03-22-2016 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutomac (Post 768815)

BTW I really like your residence. From other pics you might have posted here it Looks like you have a beautiful view of... NYC?

Happy Listening

Thanks!! Yep, that's NYC across the river.

I think you will love them for the sub, I did when I was using them on mine (when I could run monster subs and not worry about neighbors). Before you install them on your sub, try it on one of the Brystons, see what you think.

tutomac 03-22-2016 11:27 PM

I'll keep you posted:music:

Rex Anderson 11-02-2016 02:16 PM

Hey Pio,

I ordered a set of those SVSound Soundpath Subwoofer isolation feet and tried them out.

I liked the way they worked re: isolation but they made the speakers too unstable, they wobbled too much IMO. I ended up going back the the stock spikes with the rounded end on my tile floors. They don't look great, but they sure make a big difference in the sound of the speakers without any decoupling from the floor.

Pio 11-03-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex Anderson (Post 811509)
Hey Pio,

I ordered a set of those SVSound Soundpath Subwoofer isolation feet and tried them out.

I liked the way they worked re: isolation but they made the speakers too unstable, they wobbled too much IMO. I ended up going back the the stock spikes with the rounded end on my tile floors. They don't look great, but they sure make a big difference in the sound of the speakers without any decoupling from the floor.

True! Due to the height of the speaker the SVS isolators do make them less stable than the spikes. But high center of gravity speakers will always suffer from some of that. With 3 young kids at home I often worry about them tipping over my 180 lb 802's and the 208's are only about 70 or 80 lbs.

I kept them on because I have neighbors downstairs, more than anything to avoid any vibration transferring through the floor. I don't think they sound any better (or worse) with the spikes vs the isolators. The difference in sound is probably the height of the tweeter as the SVS pieces raise the speakers a bit. Again, worked for me due to my seating position. Sorry it didn't work for you Rex. Did SVS honor their 45 day in home trial?