AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Analog Pressings (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Vinyl Ripping Suggestions... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42665)

Timobi 04-07-2018 04:17 PM

Vinyl Ripping Suggestions...

Hey guys, would like to archive some of my better vinyl records to High Rez files. I was a big doubter of this process until I heard the best sounding Norah Jones ever. A buddy gave me some of his music. He had a Norah Jones vinyl rip.

Sounded more full and natural and cleaner than the DSD I have and SACD. Even better than the vinyl I own. Not sure what the source was. He didn't know as this was given to him as well!

So I don't want to go to the hardware expense of getting the software to do this but don't mind paying a little to have this service.

Thoughts? Suggestions. There's a few in the U.K. Not sure yet if they will do this outside of their country.

Thanks in advance. :)

audioguy3107 04-07-2018 04:38 PM

Tim - I do high quality vinyl rips of all my albums and I’ve found the same thing, the quality of sound from a good vinyl rip can be outstanding. Now the caveat with my setup is I don’t rip to any hi-Rez format, my rips are to standard 44.1/WAV file quality since I only use the files for my car and streaming music over Sonos throughout the House.

As far as software, from what I’ve read, Channel D’s Pure Vinyl gets the nod in ultimate sound quality. I use VinylStudio which is extremely easy to use and produces a fantastic rip.......have never had one issue over hundreds of albums and the quality is as good as I could hope for. I go straight out of my ARC phono preamp into the line level inputs of an NAD PP4 phono pre analog to digital converter. From there I go USB into my MacBook Pro using all Audioquest cables. This solution has worked absolutely perfect for me ever since I’ve had my Analog front end.

Timobi 04-07-2018 04:47 PM

thank you Audioguy :)

My only issue is just not being very savvy on such things :) I can use my MacBook Pro greatly...but this process is intimidating. I was hoping for a place I can send records to & they do this for me LOL. :D

Going to look into what you have...thx again!

audioguy3107 04-07-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timobi (Post 910081)
thank you Audioguy :)

My only issue is just not being very savvy on such things :) I can use my MacBook Pro greatly...but this process is intimidating. I was hoping for a place I can send records to & they do this for me LOL. :D

Going to look into what you have...thx again!

Don’t be intimidated at all with this process, it is really easy, gotta get a handle on the software (like tagging, song titles, metadata etc), but the process is really easy. I think you can have a trial with VinylStudio as well. Once you have named the album/artist, all you do is click record and then drop the needle. Once the side is over, you click stop and the software “records” that as side 1. You repeat the process until the album is done. Once finished, you select the option which allows you to put your track break where you want it and then save. This saves the album under a folder which then you can do whatever with. Vinyl Studio also has several databases with song titles and track breaks alread6 preloaded, but of course they may not be 100% accurate, do I always look at the album files (it’s shows it as a horizontal graph of sorts) and slide the track breaks to exactly where I want them to make it totally accurate. Once you do that, you have your master file which you can then load into iTunes, rip into MP3, AAC, ALAC, FLAC or whatever you want. What’s surprised me the most is how I’ve never had a single ripping error, noise, computer glitch or anything. It’s almost hard to believe with as many albums as I have recorded.

- Buck

audioguy3107 04-07-2018 04:59 PM

Here’s the link to VinylStudio

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk

NAD PP4

https://nadelectronics.com/product/p...-preamplifier/

Audiophilehi 04-07-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 910075)
Tim - I do high quality vinyl rips of all my albums and I’ve found the same thing, the quality of sound from a good vinyl rip can be outstanding. Now the caveat with my setup is I don’t rip to any hi-Rez format, my rips are to standard 44.1/WAV file quality since I only use the files for my car and streaming music over Sonos throughout the House.

As far as software, from what I’ve read, Channel D’s Pure Vinyl gets the nod in ultimate sound quality. I use VinylStudio which is extremely easy to use and produces a fantastic rip.......have never had one issue over hundreds of albums and the quality is as good as I could hope for. I go straight out of my ARC phono preamp into the line level inputs of an NAD PP4 phono pre analog to digital converter. From there I go USB into my MacBook Pro using all Audioquest cables. This solution has worked absolutely perfect for me ever since I’ve had my Analog front end.

Thanks.....Very interesting. I’m going to give this some consideration. The price of admission is only $199.00.