AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Hometown Section (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   NY Audio Club... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=22389)

thesaint519 08-04-2013 09:19 PM

NY Audio Club...
 
AA Comrades,

I was thinking, as I do from time to time... Are there enough audio enthusiasts in the NY, NJ, CT area that would be interested in developing an audio club?

BowiePop 08-04-2013 09:25 PM

Such a good idea, it would be nice to compare our hifi.
Sorry for me, I'm living a long way from new york !

hope you will have success !

Joe 08-05-2013 08:48 AM

Greetings-
I was thinking the same thing! I'm in Binghamton NY and I know there are a lot of audiophiles here too, because it is the hometown of McIntosh. I would like to help get one going!
Let's do it!
Joe

thesaint519 08-05-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe (Post 518804)
Greetings-
I was thinking the same thing! I'm in Binghamton NY and I know there are a lot of audiophiles here too, because it is the hometown of McIntosh. I would like to help get one going!
Let's do it!
Joe

Nice!! That sounds great!! I'm sure, however, we'll need some more takers :).

Masterlu 08-05-2013 10:04 AM

We have lots of NY members... Marco... ;)

Family Progtitioner 08-05-2013 10:16 AM

I'm in Buffalo but would love to participate

edkoz 08-05-2013 12:02 PM

I'm in the Rochester area and would be interested
Ed

GaryProtein 08-06-2013 01:27 AM

Long Island.

I am interested.

jimimac 08-06-2013 08:35 PM

Binghamton and I work at McIntosh.

Masterlu 08-06-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimimac (Post 519234)
Binghamton and I work at McIntosh.

OK, we'll still let you in. :D

A.Wayne 08-07-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 519247)
OK, we'll still let you in. :D

:lmao:...... :banana:

jimimac 08-08-2013 08:46 PM

YALL know I,M good for laughs...(The finest Tarpotter in the world) (Transformer and Autoformer) Probably the only one!!!

skroudo 08-08-2013 09:41 PM

I'm in, great idea, Long Island :yes:

jimimac 08-10-2013 10:24 PM

?

Masterlu 08-10-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimimac (Post 520404)
Joe I am not A subscriber so I can't message you back. Don't know if I can post phone# on here?

I wouldn't, you might get calls around the clock. :)

Whart 08-10-2013 11:17 PM

There was and may still be such a club in the greater NYC area that has been around for decades. Myles might know if they are still in play.

Masterlu 08-18-2013 10:07 AM

Bump!

Robert_Anderson 08-18-2013 10:20 AM

I'm guessing both Oklahoma and the ship are too far away........

Masterlu 08-18-2013 10:37 AM

What did you have in mind? ;)

http://catalinawinemixer.files.wordp...party-boat.jpg

thesaint519 08-18-2013 11:37 AM

Where would/could we meet?

jimimac 08-21-2013 08:59 PM

McIntosh
 
[quote=Joe;518804]Greetings-
I was thinking the same thing! I'm in Binghamton NY and I know there are a lot of audiophiles here too, because it is the hometown of McIntosh. I would like to help get one going!
Let's do it!
Joe[/quot.

Kal Rubinson 08-21-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whart (Post 520417)
There was and may still be such a club in the greater NYC area that has been around for decades. Myles might know if they are still in play.

Dunno if they are still around but I joined them for one or two events and have no strong motivation to do it again. Too retro for me.

GaryProtein 08-21-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson (Post 522518)
I'm guessing both Oklahoma and the ship are too far away........

You're welcome to come, but you'll have a lot of traveling to do.

masanori 08-27-2013 08:15 PM

I live in New paltz NY count me in

steve ringler 09-22-2013 11:28 PM

Westchester county. I'm in if it comes to fruition. Steve

GaryProtein 09-23-2013 12:05 AM

Well, we have a bunch of people who are interested.

What are we going to do about it?????

A.Wayne 09-24-2013 12:28 AM

Drink rum and be merry ...... :)

GaryProtein 09-24-2013 01:42 AM

Is someone going to set something up?

thesaint519 09-24-2013 09:14 AM

I'm in Westchester, NY. I'm happy to front run this thing, but I wouldn't know where I start. For a first meeting, we could establish a simple meet and greet over lunch. Maybe share our system components and do a little listening at one person's home. Thoughts?

Masterlu 09-24-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint519 (Post 534264)
I'm in Westchester, NY. I'm happy to front run this thing, but I wouldn't know where I start. For a first meeting, we could establish a simple meet and greet over lunch. Maybe share our system components and do a little listening at one person's home. Thoughts?

That sounds like a great start to me. :yes:

GaryProtein 09-24-2013 10:41 AM

sounds good to me too.

skroudo 09-24-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 534289)
sounds good to me too.

+1

Masterlu 10-10-2013 11:51 AM

What's happening with the New York Club? :)

sleepysurf 10-10-2013 09:38 PM

Although I'm far from NY, thought I'd throw out this suggestion for folks in ANY geographic area interested in starting/growing an audio club. I hope I'm not violating any Forum Rules by posting this.

Here, in the Tampa Bay area, we had a small audiophile club, founded in 1994 as the Tampa Bay Listening Society. By 2009, active membership had dwindled to <15, and the future looked bleak. One of our members suggested we look at Meetup (dot com), which was used by a Photography club he belonged to. It looked promising as a growing social website catering to LOCAL clubs/groups sharing a common interest. We renamed our club the Suncoast Audiophile Society (more descriptive) and gave Meetup a spin. Within 3 months we had doubled our active membership, as local audiophiles who previously never even knew we existed discovered us. Today, we have 87 members (~50+ active), and have grown so large that we're now looking for larger venues for our monthly meetings, as few of us can accommodate the typical 30-40+ meeting attendees in our homes.

FYI, I have no financial relationship with Meetup, but do believe their platform is ideal for developing and growing an audiophile club. As brick and mortar stores fall by the wayside, I think this approach (combined with regional audio shows) is our best hope for keeping this hobby alive.

There are other "group-centric" websites out there, but Meetup (being the first) seems to have the most users, and (at least for us) has worked exceedingly well for recruiting like-minded audio aficionados. Meetup does charge the club a modest monthly (or annual) fee, but that becomes negligible when amortized among all members.

I strongly suggest the New York (or other geographic contingents) check it out! Also, once you have a critical mass, post your audio club contact info in the Stereophile listings.

Sound Dragon 11-10-2013 08:42 AM

I am currently in Queens NY.

joe1515 11-10-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepysurf (Post 539583)
Although I'm far from NY, thought I'd throw out this suggestion for folks in ANY geographic area interested in starting/growing an audio club. I hope I'm not violating any Forum Rules by posting this.

Here, in the Tampa Bay area, we had a small audiophile club, founded in 1994 as the Tampa Bay Listening Society. By 2009, active membership had dwindled to <15, and the future looked bleak. One of our members suggested we look at Meetup (dot com), which was used by a Photography club he belonged to. It looked promising as a growing social website catering to LOCAL clubs/groups sharing a common interest. We renamed our club the Suncoast Audiophile Society (more descriptive) and gave Meetup a spin. Within 3 months we had doubled our active membership, as local audiophiles who previously never even knew we existed discovered us. Today, we have 87 members (~50+ active), and have grown so large that we're now looking for larger venues for our monthly meetings, as few of us can accommodate the typical 30-40+ meeting attendees in our homes.

FYI, I have no financial relationship with Meetup, but do believe their platform is ideal for developing and growing an audiophile club. As brick and mortar stores fall by the wayside, I think this approach (combined with regional audio shows) is our best hope for keeping this hobby alive.

There are other "group-centric" websites out there, but Meetup (being the first) seems to have the most users, and (at least for us) has worked exceedingly well for recruiting like-minded audio aficionados. Meetup does charge the club a modest monthly (or annual) fee, but that becomes negligible when amortized among all members.

I strongly suggest the New York (or other geographic contingents) check it out! Also, once you have a critical mass, post your audio club contact info in the Stereophile listings.

Count me in as well. I live on Long Island. I second the idea of meetup.com.

Joe

Matte Grey 01-18-2014 04:32 PM

Brooklyn, NY very interested.

Linus 06-03-2014 02:08 PM

No city folk?
Brooklyn in da house!

Kal Rubinson 06-03-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 612256)
No city folk?

Manhattan here.

GaryProtein 06-03-2014 09:52 PM

Long Island


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2021 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.