AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Need help to seal the deal (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42886)

Killergurt 05-05-2018 08:30 PM

Need help to seal the deal

Hi everyone,

I took care of everything in my system except for a subwoofer. I need help to make a decision and purchase, planning on buying on Monday.

My story:
Big room (900 SF + vaulted ceiling), not treated, open space living room.
My system- C2600, MC601's, PS Audio DS DAC, MX-122 (Surround), B&W802D1, HTM2D1, Klipsch Surrounds.

Usage: 70/30 (Music/Movies).

I am having a hard time deciding between one F113v2 or two SVS SB16 Ultra/SB4000, price is similar (I am thinking of sealed due to size limitations).

I have read many threads on theses forums and understand that the Fathom is a step above the SVS but I have never heard those Subs and probably won't be able to audition them at home.

I do have size limitations, the SB16's are probably too big and will hit resistance from my wife, the F113 and the SB4000 have better chance to pass. Unless you tell me to absolutely go for the SB16 instead of the SB4000- I will have to figure something out.

Any help is appreciated, especially from people who had a chance to use both subs in their systems.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cohibaman 05-05-2018 08:52 PM

Need help to seal the deal

I’m not one to post reviews, but you should talk to Ivan.

I picked up two JL Audio F112’s and a CR-1 crossover. It changed my life.

Killergurt 05-05-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 913961)
I’m not one to post reviews, but you should talk to Ivan.

I picked up two JL Audio F112’s and a CR-1 crossover. It changed my life.

Thanks man, I am sure they are incredible. I just don't have the budget to buy all JL Audio or I would.

Poppyhome 05-05-2018 09:13 PM

I've had SVS, Rel, and JL Audio. Subwoofers do sound different and JL Audio sounded the best by far. Great tight bass with deep extension, a quality product made in the USA. Perfect for music and movies.

Go with the one F113v2 and don't look back. :yes:

Ron

Masterlu 05-05-2018 09:16 PM

https://am24.akamaized.net/tms/cnt/u...Mail-Cover.gif

;)

Killergurt 05-05-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 913966)
I've had SVS, Rel, and JL Audio. Subwoofers do sound different and JL Audio sounded the best by far. Great tight bass with deep extension, a quality product made in the USA. Perfect for music and movies.

Go with the one F113v2 and don't look back. :yes:

Ron

Thank you Ron. I believe you, the reviews the JL get everyone are phenomenal. In my case, I am trying to determine if it would make more sense to use one F113v2 vs. two SVS subs. Will two subs give me better overall results despite the fact that the F113v2 is higher quality?

Poppyhome 05-05-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killergurt (Post 913968)
Thank you Ron. I believe you, the reviews the JL get everyone are phenomenal. In my case, I am trying to determine if it would make more sense to use one F113v2 vs. two SVS subs. Will two subs give me better overall results despite the fact that the F113v2 is higher quality?

For years many people were saying one sub is enough........now there is a push for two, three, or more subs. Multiple subs can be harder to setup and sound good without cancelling themselves out.

Sub placement is important to pressurize the entire room and the F113v2 will make it easier - "Front-mounted controls make them a dream to set up and adjust, while JL Audio’s exclusive Digital Automatic Room Optimization circuit makes sure that response is smooth, even in challenging rooms."

Given your options, I would go with the one F113v2.

Ron

crwilli 05-05-2018 09:40 PM

+1. Start with one. Let your bankroll recover then decide if you need two. Also factor in a CR-1 crossover. You will thank me latter.

Poppyhome 05-05-2018 09:52 PM

If you have your heart set on going with two subs....................then get two JL Audio E-Sub e112's as they also will not disappoint you. They don't have the Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.) system or balanced XLR inputs though.

The single F113v2 should be more than sufficient though. :thumbsup:

Ron

Killergurt 05-06-2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 913972)
If you have your heart set on going with two subs....................then get two JL Audio E-Sub e112's as they also will not disappoint you. They don't have the Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.) system or balanced XLR inputs though.

The single F113v2 should be more than sufficient though. :thumbsup:

Ron

Thank you Ron and all.
I think that I am going to get the F113V2 and I now have a couple of hookup questions.
I will be using the Sub for both Music and Movies.
2CH is controlled by the C2600, Movies by the MX-122.

My thoughts, and I can be completely wrong:

XLR cable connects the C2600 to the sub, this is for Music listening + crossover set manually on the sub.

RCA cable connects the MX-122 (LFE) to the Sub in parallel, crossover is set in the MX-122 menu.

Is this going to work? Does the F113 have presets where I can switch between "use the Sub cross over" to bypass and use the MX-122?

Really not sure how to run this setup.

Thanks much!