AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Denon (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Avp-a1hdci ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9597)

JackK 08-22-2011 08:55 AM

Avp-a1hdci ?

Any owners of the AVP-A1HDCI care to share their likes / dislikes on this processor. I currently have an MX119 McIntosh and was looking at the MX150 but this unit seems to have everything I want today and heck of a lot more. Any other processors that I should take a look at?

System currently is MX119, MC207 amp, Oppo-BDP95, MVP-861, MS750 paired with B&W 803S's mains, HTM3S center, 805S's for the rears and an ASW825 Sub. TV is a Pioneer Elite 50" plasma.

I'm trying to do my part to boost the economy:D

Thanks for your input and Ivan thanks again for the phone calls and pointers.

Jack

bart 08-22-2011 09:07 AM

I'm not an owner but have heard it quite a few times with the matching power amp on a Martin Logan surround set (truly excellent), and a Monitor Audio PL300 set (good).
Consider the Classé processor in the same price category: less buttons, but maybe even better soundwise (also heard this one with different B&W sets).

VT Skier 08-22-2011 05:09 PM

I own it and love it. Great sound, great video, all the bells and whistles, never a problem.

I use it with Bel Canto amplifiers to drive Dali in-wall speakers, and I also have a Marantz projector and a Sony PS3 and some other assorted gear in the room. I've never heard the Mac processor or the Classe, and I've never heard Ivan's room, but mine is pretty good thanks to the A/V dealer who helped me with the gear, Rives Audio, which did the room design, and a very patient local contractor.

If you're coming through Vermont any time in the near future you're welcome to come listen.

JackK 08-23-2011 08:04 AM

Thanks VT Skier. It is looking like this is the route I will take as well. It appears to be extremely well supported by Denon.

SELYPB 08-23-2011 06:08 PM

I owned this processor for two years, and have to say it is a wonderful unit. I sold mine last summer along with the rest of my theater gear to focus on my two channel setup. If I where you and you can hold off another month or two I would wait and get one with the update 1.4 hdmi board. I also think they will be adding the latest Aydussey XT32 as well .

I believe the Denon website has a statement that they put out back at the beginning of the year stating that the updates for the AVP will begin in October 2011.

I would also look into the Classe SSP-800 as someone above mentioned, but for myself in the future I plan on going with something along the lines of the Marantz AV7005. For me Pre/Pro's change so quickly anymore that I have decided to invest in a nice two channel pre-amp (McIntosh C50) that has theater bypass, and will go with a mid line pre/pro. This way if I want to upgrade each year or two the investment isn't as large. I also feel without even hearing it as of yet that the Marantz AV7005 probably is as good if not better than the current version of the AVP for 6k less.

JJinID 08-23-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SELYPB (Post 196275)
I owned this processor for two years, and have to say it is a wonderful unit. I sold mine last summer along with the rest of my theater gear to focus on my two channel setup. If I where you and you can hold off another month or two I would wait and get one with the update 1.4 hdmi board. I also think they will be adding the latest Aydussey XT32 as well .

I believe the Denon website has a statement that they put out back at the beginning of the year stating that the updates for the AVP will begin in October 2011.

I would also look into the Classe SSP-800 as someone above mentioned, but for myself in the future I plan on going with something along the lines of the Marantz AV7005. For me Pre/Pro's change so quickly anymore that I have decided to invest in a nice two channel pre-amp (McIntosh C50) that has theater bypass, and will go with a mid line pre/pro. This way if I want to upgrade each year or two the investment isn't as large. I also feel without even hearing it as of yet that the Marantz AV7005 probably is as good if not better than the current version of the AVP for 6k less.

This is my current thinking/philosophy moving forward as well. However, I would not expect the AV7005 to be nearly as good as the Denon AVP - especially once the upgrades to XT32 are added. Hopefully Marantz will come out with an AV8005/6 as an updated model at CES next January as that would be closer to the Denon. :scratch2:

JackK 08-24-2011 08:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll take a closer look at the Classe processor.

Jimmy 08-26-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SELYPB (Post 196275)

Do you know if this is a retrofit, refresh to the current unit, or is Denon releasing a new model in 2012? Maybe our Oracle (The Master) can weigh in. :D

Jimmy 08-26-2011 10:25 PM

Denon AVR Upgrade AVR-5308CI AVP-A1HDCI

Masterlu 08-26-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy (Post 197603)
Do you know if this is a retrofit, refresh to the current unit, or is Denon releasing a new model in 2012? Maybe our Oracle (The Master) can weigh in. :D

You can pretty much count on a new model from Denon next year. :yes: