AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   DeVore Fidelity (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   iSilverback coming home (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=26934)

Old Grey 06-03-2014 09:58 PM

Sorry, did I understand your post correctly that Matt didn't think the Sinhonia's would be a good choice either?

TommyC 06-03-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Grey (Post 612394)
Sorry, did I understand your post correctly that Matt didn't think the Sinhonia's would be a good choice either?

That's correct. Both Matt and Jonathan said the same thing. The Sinhonia was designed for 16ohm speakers.

Old Grey 06-04-2014 09:57 AM

That's probably the case, but I don't care if they were designed for a mission to mars, they're a magical combo! I take no credit for the pairing -it's been well documented by many others and enjoyed by quite a few.

Certainly, based on specs, the CCQ's and the CC80s look like the best choices. But like I said before, the Silverbacks defy specs. They can sip power and really sing, or gulp it and really roar -which makes them ideal to pair with many different amps, depending on your preferences. Since it looks like you already pulled the trigger on the CC80s -enjoy the heck out of them. Certainly, the S'Backs will put that extra power to good use.

If your ears wonder and you start looking for alternatives, then make sure your list includes the GM70's, Cortese, or a used pair of Sinhonias (if you can find a pair, I certainly don't intend on getting rid of mine anytime soon!!!).

TommyC 06-04-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Grey (Post 612513)
That's probably the case, but I don't care if they were designed for a mission to mars, they're a magical combo! I take no credit for the pairing -it's been well documented by many others and enjoyed by quite a few.

Certainly, based on specs, the CCQ's and the CC80s look like the best choices. But like I said before, the Silverbacks defy specs. They can sip power and really sing, or gulp it and really roar -which makes them ideal to pair with many different amps, depending on your preferences. Since it looks like you already pulled the trigger on the CC80s -enjoy the heck out of them. Certainly, the S'Backs will put that extra power to good use.

If your ears wonder and you start looking for alternatives, then make sure your list includes the GM70's, Cortese, or a used pair of Sinhonias (if you can find a pair, I certainly don't intend on getting rid of mine anytime soon!!!).

I have yet to obtain full potential from my CC80. I need to upgrade my preamp first. But, I am drooling at the thought of Sinhonia. The F2a tubes are much more exotic than the KT88 tubes.

Anyway, the speakers are shipping tomorrow :banana:

Old Grey 06-05-2014 09:35 AM

Sweet!!!! I'm anxious to hear what you think of them. What speakers do you currently own?

Yep, pre-amp would be a great choice. Take your time though and enjoy every step of the way. If you go too fast up the latter, you won't appreciate each step as much (and won't be able to provide as much valuable advice on AA!).

DeFgibbon 06-05-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Grey (Post 612795)
Take your time though and enjoy every step of the way. If you go too fast up the ladder, you won't appreciate each step as much.

Now THAT is great advice for all of us!

TommyC 06-05-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Grey (Post 612795)
Sweet!!!! I'm anxious to hear what you think of them. What speakers do you currently own?

Yep, pre-amp would be a great choice. Take your time though and enjoy every step of the way. If you go too fast up the latter, you won't appreciate each step as much (and won't be able to provide as much valuable advice on AA!).

Will receive them next wednesday. I won't be able to unpack them for a while though. Don't have any help.

I currently own the Guarneri Memento. They are great speakers. But I feel I'm not getting the best out of them with the Shindo. The speakers feel strained at times, even at medium volume. Just doesn't sound effortless.

I'm really looking forward to the Silverback. I don't know what to expect. But from everything I've read, it can't sound half bad.

dirtbag 06-06-2014 12:33 AM

Tommy! I'd be more than happy to come help you get them set up. I live 15 mins away and I'm
Very helpful when it comes up tackling a project like unpacking and setting up something heavy and expensive. Let me know when you would like to do it.

DeFgibbon 06-06-2014 08:59 AM

I hope it doesn't sound half bad!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 612992)
from everything I've read, it can't sound half bad.

( :^)

Old Grey 06-06-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtbag (Post 613047)
Tommy! I'd be more than happy to come help you get them set up. I live 15 mins away and I'm
Very helpful when it comes up tackling a project like unpacking and setting up something heavy and expensive. Let me know when you would like to do it.

Hmmm....would I trust a guy named "dirtbag" to come over and help me set up my new speakers....

We'll be watching your signature line, Dale, if those Super 8's become Silverbacks anytime soon we'll know exactly what happened!!!