AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   SF Guarneri Memento Arrived (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2794)

jdandy 12-02-2009 10:01 PM

SF Guarneri Memento Arrived

9 Attachment(s)
https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...8&d=1259804091

Hallelujah. The Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento speakers arrived safe and sound this afternoon. The rain let up just before the UPS truck arrived, so I was able to move them under the house at the entrance of the studio, and get them unpacked without getting anything wet. I have to hand it to Sonus Faber, they really know how to pack speakers, legs and bases. The best I have every seen. The wooden crate for the speakers is a fine piece of work in its own right.

It didn't take long to get everything unpacked, assembled, and ready for music. For starters, I placed the GMs in the exact same locations where the Cremona Auditors had been. It turns out to be the perfect spot for the Momento's, although the toe-in is not quite the same. After listening to various tracks of music, and making fine tuning adjustments to their position, I have settled on a toe-in angle that crosses the axis of the tweeter behind my head about 12 inches. This arrangement produces a phenomenal sound stage that exceeds the Auditors, very broad both inside and outside the actual speaker locations. Just amazing.

Once I achieved a quality location, I began to give some serious attention to the Guarneri Memento's sound. I turned the McIntosh XLS112 subwoofer off, because I wanted to hear what the GM's are capable of at the bottom end of the audio spectrum, and was not disappointed. The GM's are able to couple and load the dimensions of my 11.5' x 15' studio room with ease, and produce a pleasing and semi-deep bottom end without difficulty. Acoustic bass notes were authentic, although the addition of the XLS112 helped add the additional depth and timber, creating total realism. The GM's do go lower on their own than do the Cremona Auditors.

I began with a very good SACD from Doc Powell - 97th and Columbus. It is a Hybrid multichannel and stereo disc from Heads Up. I have a number of Heads Up SACD's, and I can say that this label is producing some excellent recordings. Check them out, if you haven't already.

The first track on Doc Powell's SACD features Doc on electric classical guitar and keyboards, Harvey Mason on drums, and Marcus Miller on electric bass. The GM's came to life like a live performance, with Doc's classical guitar floating rock solid in the middle of the room, Harvey's drums clearly behind Doc, but filling the entire sound stage, and Marcus' electric bass creating a solid rhythmic bottom. Wow, I'm in heaven.

I had previously energized the XLS112 subwoofer, and dialed it into perfect harmony with the lowest output of the Mementos, changing the crossover point from 65 Hz, where it had best suited the Auditors, to 50 Hz, where it seamlessly blends with the start of the low end rolloff on the GM's woofers. With the greater low frequency output of the GM's, I was able to reduce the XLS112's gain control to a lower output, and ultimately found the spot where it reinforces the deepest, lowest frequencies, while essentially remaining invisible. The overall sonic signature of the GM's and the XLS112 is a thing of beauty.

On track 8 of Doc Powell - 97th and Columbus, "Ode to Chet", Doc plays a Chet Atkins style slow tune with the sound of wind drifting through the sounds of guitar, bass, and percussion instruments. I was held spellbound by the purity of all the sounds, and awestruck by the realism of the wind sounds. Fantastic presentation by the Momento's.

I decided to see what the GM's could do with Big Phat Band - XXL. This very tight big band deserves some volume, so I put it to them. Track 11 is a nice big band arrangement of a blues tune, "What Sammy Said". The entire band jumped into the center of my studio, and I was extremely impressed with the GM's ability to reproduce a satisfyingly loud performace without blurring or smearing any of the instruments. You could clearly hear the various different horns, the piano, drums and bass as though it were a live performance. The Memento's ability to be dynamic and clear is astonishing. The 150 watts on each channel from the mono MC275 amplifiers make the GM's get up and sing. I was not longing for additional power in the slightest.

I moved to track 12 on the Big Phat Band - XXL CD, "Let The Good Tmes Roll", featuring Johnny Mathis. This is a rip roaring rendition of this tune, with the big band in full swing. The Guarneri Memento's were strutting their stuff. Johnny's voice was front and center, with the Big Phat Band filling a wide sound stage from left to right. Horns were blasting, bass was thumping, Johnny's voice right on top, nothing was murky, glossed over, or smeared. The studio was rocking, the band was in full swing, and I was grinning from ear to ear.

From my memory of the Cremona Auditor's sound, I feel the GM's offer a tighter, and deeper bass response, a midrange clarity that seems to be more dynamic and open, and a crystal clear top end that has enough air to create perfectly believable cymbals, wind chimes, and the rich aura of subtle sensory stimulus that is all consuming and so thrilling. Overall, the incredible luminous aural radiation delivered by the Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento's is nothing short of extraordinary, bordering on miraculously phenomenal. These speakers are absolute keepers.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...ed-sf-gm-9.jpg

PHC1 12-02-2009 10:06 PM

Dan, congrats on the GM's. :banana: It really feels good knowing my beloved GMs will be in the hands of one of our finest AA members. :thumbsup: Enjoy them for many years to come. :music:

Vintage Pete 12-02-2009 10:08 PM

Dan....an exemplary review, as per usual. The Guarneri's look sweet indeed! I was wondering....where is your XLS112 located? I don't seem to see it in the pictures.

Your Studio/HT setup is very impressive indeed. I look forward to seeing and hearing all of your gear in person! Congratulations and enjoy your latest acqusition, as I am sure you will.....:thumbsup:

Pete

PHC1 12-02-2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Overall, the incredible luminous aural radiation delivered by the Sonus Faber Guarneri Momento's is nothing short of extraordinary, and bordering on miraculously phenomenal. These speakers are absolute keepers.
I think that means you were impressed. :D

1KW 12-02-2009 10:14 PM

Dan,

Congrats. you now have 3 very fine systems, I am very happy for you . I knew you were going to absolutely love the SF GM. I was impressed when I heard them as well. I am sure you will have the GM for a long time. Now aren't you a tad curious about hearing the other SF homage speakers :D

1KW 12-02-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 51000)
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/q...tos/SFGM10.jpg

Hallelujah, The studio was rocking, the band was in full swing, and I was grinning from ear to ear......

Overall, the incredible luminous aural radiation delivered by the Sonus Faber Guarneri Momento's is nothing short of extraordinary, and bordering on miraculously phenomenal. These speakers are absolute keepers.

:pg2::goodpost:

You have a way with words. :yes:

Great picture

80B 12-02-2009 10:43 PM

Dan, congrats and keep enjoying them!

KMC45 12-02-2009 10:46 PM

They look great.

two dot 12-02-2009 10:48 PM

I wonder if these are the speakers that will KEEP you in the basement...

Still-One 12-02-2009 10:51 PM

You know Dan, I may have been wrong. Maybe you won't be shopping for the Amati Anniversario's after all.

Happy Listening.

Vintage Pete 12-02-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two dot (Post 51015)
I wonder if these are the speakers that will KEEP you in the basement...

I dunno....PMC's upstairs! :yes:

Pete

two dot 12-02-2009 11:39 PM

Dan...

Move the JL sub downstairs...

And get on of these for upstairs...

http://satellite-radio-source.ca/sto...us_Boombox.jpg

you won't be up there much..

Onemug 12-02-2009 11:51 PM

Congrats Dan,

I've been following your threads waiting for your impressions. I would subscribe to a magazine if you wrote for them. You do a great job.

The thing that amazes me about the M's is the resolution in the bass. Do you know how long they have sat without being played? You might be in for even more enjoyment after they loosen up after awhile. You can thank Serge for breaking them in for you. :-)

Have you tried different taps on your 275? I know they are rated as 4 ohm speakers but I have gotten a nicer sound from the 8 ohm tap on some of my amps.

Enjoy and give us some more updates. You shurr rite purdy.

'cisco 12-02-2009 11:59 PM

Dan.....excellent review and pics :thumbsup:

I think you just pushed me over the edge with this thread :banana:.....I just sent a email to someone :D

......and wouldn't you know it,I'm watching "The Italian Job" tonight on FX :smoking:

jdandy 12-03-2009 12:20 AM

Stephen......I had to laugh at your boom-box post, but you know what? I am still as thrilled with the main system upstairs as I have ever been. Both the main system, and the studio tube system continue to fill me with wonder everytime I press the play button. I could not be happier with the systems I have assembled. The combination of amps, preamps, sources, speakers, interconnects, speaker cables, power cords, and power conditioning have come together in both systems to create a very special synergy that has to be heard to be fully appreciated.

Believe it or not, earlier tonight while listening to the Guarneri Momento's with the C1000T, the mono MC275's, and the XLS112 subwoofer, I found myself thinking how that combination sounded as good as the C1000P, MC501's, Fathom f113, and the PMC EB1i's. Really! Both sound systems are steller performers. I can listen to either system all day, and all night with total satisfaction and complete reverence.

TommyC 12-03-2009 12:27 AM

Another GM owner! Congrats!

cmalak 12-03-2009 12:28 AM

Dan...your enthusiasm for your systems and this hobby are infectious...thx for the post and enjoy the GMs for a long time. Giddy up :banana:

two dot 12-03-2009 12:36 AM

Dan,

I certainly envy your ability to put together such fantastic sound systems.

I am listening to mine right now, fully realizing that I would not be where I am without you and your input and friendship... for that I am MOST thankful !!!

I only wish that I could follow your footsteps and develop a "second" system like yours... it must be truly remarkable.

Thank you for being you and for everything that you do for me, and everyone on this site.

jdandy 12-03-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 51002)
Dan, congrats on the GM's. :banana: It really feels good knowing my beloved GMs will be in the hands of one of our finest AA members. :thumbsup: Enjoy them for many years to come. :music:

Serge.......Thank you so much for letting me know about these wondeful speakers, and for taking such great care of them while in your possession. I will do the same for a long, long time. The GM's are magnificent speakers.

jdandy 12-03-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 51004)
Dan....an exemplary review, as per usual. The Guarneri's look sweet indeed! I was wondering....where is your XLS112 located? I don't seem to see it in the pictures.

Your Studio/HT setup is very impressive indeed. I look forward to seeing and hearing all of your gear in person! Congratulations and enjoy your latest acqusition, as I am sure you will.....:thumbsup:

Pete

Pete.......Thank you. I think when you've had the opportunity to hear these systems you will understand what great synergy has been created from the joining of these seperate components. All the big and little details come together in a most commendable way.

Vintage Pete 12-03-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 51047)
Pete.......Thank you. I think when you've had the opportunity to hear these systems you will understand what great synergy has been created from the joining of these seperate components. All the big and little details come together in a most commendable way.

Dan...I have no doubt, and I am looking forward to it!! :yes:

Pete

PHC1 12-03-2009 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 51043)
Serge.......Thank you so much for letting me know about these wondeful speakers, and for taking such great care of them while in your possession. I will do the same for a long, long time. The GM's are magnificent speakers.

Dan, I am happy for you that you took the advice and decided to invest in the pristine condition pair of GM's. They brought me countless hours of listening pleasure. They will be a part of my "great gear" memories for sure. :yes: There is much satisfaction in owning a pair of speakers from the Sonus Faber "Homage" line. They are not only gorgeous to look at but they have a quality of sound about them that can be down right intoxicating. You'll know what I mean as you spend a few days listening to them. You will often come across recordings that will bring out their very best virtues. I suggest you start digging up some acoustic instrument recordings to get familiar with their qualities. Once you hear cello, violins, acoustic guitars on them, you will be in for a suprise. :yes: I am sure you will pick up on the fact that they are more refined sounding and able to convey the natural harmonic richness of instruments a bit more.

In terms of their condition, I always try to take great care of my audio gear since it is the one hobby that keeps me occupied for many hours and enjoyed daily. I am sure they will do the same for you. :music: Enjoy!

Waboman 12-03-2009 01:06 AM

Those are some gorgeous looking speakers, Dan. I bet they rock. Congrats!:thumbsup:

jdandy 12-03-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onemug (Post 51028)
Congrats Dan,

I've been following your threads waiting for your impressions. I would subscribe to a magazine if you wrote for them. You do a great job.

The thing that amazes me about the M's is the resolution in the bass. Do you know how long they have sat without being played? You might be in for even more enjoyment after they loosen up after awhile. You can thank Serge for breaking them in for you. :-)

Have you tried different taps on your 275? I know they are rated as 4 ohm speakers but I have gotten a nicer sound from the 8 ohm tap on some of my amps.

Enjoy and give us some more updates. You shurr rite purdy.

Onemug.......Thank you for the compliment about my writing. I appreciate that.

I have no idea how often the GM's might have been played while at the dealer in Pennsylvania. They were traded in about seven months ago, and sat on their stands in a showroom. They may not have remained silent the entire time. Don't worry though, they will be well broken in here.

I have not tried using any other taps than the 4 ohm taps on the MC275's. I am extremely satisfied with the Momento's performance just the way they are presently connected. You know the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :thumbsup:

jdandy 12-03-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'cisco (Post 51033)
Dan.....excellent review and pics :thumbsup:
I think you just pushed me over the edge with this thread :banana:.....I just sent a email to someone :D
......and wouldn't you know it, I'm watching "The Italian Job" tonight on FX :smoking:

'cisco.......I understand exactly what you are talking about, and now that I have experienced the GM's in my own system, I whole heartedly encourage you to move forward while the fruit is ripe for picking. That special opportunity may never come your way again.

jdandy 12-03-2009 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waboman (Post 51052)
Those are some gorgeous looking speakers, Dan. I bet they rock. Congrats!:thumbsup:

Jeff.......Thanks. You aren't kidding. These are mighty big little speakers. Just amazing.

PHC1 12-03-2009 01:32 AM

Dan, the GMs spend most of their time above 4 ohms. You can explore the 8 ohm tap but pay attention to the bass where they do drop down. I found that the 8 ohm tap sounded better at times and other times it was the 4. Then I figured it was the content of the recording in terms of bass that swayed my preference back and forth. I settled on 4 ohm as the permanent tap to use when I ran the 275.

http://www.stereophile.com/images/ar...807SFGFIG1.jpg

Waboman 12-03-2009 01:36 AM

Dan, I know the SF's are great for strings, classical, jazz, etc... not that there's anything wrong with that.;) But, how would you say they are for HT, or rock n roll, played loud?

schaefer11 12-03-2009 08:37 AM

Dan, congratulations on the purchase. Swapping out speakers has always brought me the most enjoyment.

But "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Since when have any of us followed that advice! :) And you have 3 systems I believe. Seems you are always out looking for something to be "broke" (and I am not referring to just your bank account). :)

I don't know how long from now it will be, but I look forward to your writing about your next quest to fix something that "ain't broke"!

jdandy 12-03-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schaefer11 (Post 51079)
But "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Since when have any of us followed that advice! :) And you have 3 systems I believe. Seems you are always out looking for something to be "broke" (and I am not referring to just your bank account). :)

I don't know how long from now it will be, but I look forward to your writing about your next quest to fix something that "ain't broke"!

schaefer11.......What can I say? :D

jdandy 12-03-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 51004)
Dan....I was wondering....where is your XLS112 located? I don't seem to see it in the pictures.

Pete

Pete.......The McIntosh XLS112 subwoofer is on the right hand side of the room, closer to the rear wall than the front wall. Surprisingly, there is no localization from it's location. The bass all appears in the sound stage.

Still-One 12-03-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 51036)
Stephen......I had to laugh at your boom-box post, but you know what? I am still as thrilled with the main system upstairs as I have ever been. Both the main system, and the studio tube system continue to fill me with wonder everytime I press the play button. I could not be happier with the systems I have assembled. The combination of amps, preamps, sources, speakers, interconnects, speaker cables, power cords, and power conditioning have come together in both systems to create a very special synergy that has to be heard to be fully appreciated.

Believe it or not, earlier tonight while listening to the Guarneri Momento's with the C1000T, the mono MC275's, and the XLS112 subwoofer, I found myself thinking how that combination sounded as good as the C1000P, MC501's, Fathom f113, and the PMC EB1i's. Really! Both sound systems are steller performers. I can listen to either system all day, and all night with total satisfaction and complete reverence.

Dan
I think you are proving one point we have been tossing around a lot here lately. There are many options for getting great sound and that we can embrace the differences in technology. it really is the music.
Jim

jdandy 12-03-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waboman (Post 51064)
Dan, I know the SF's are great for strings, classical, jazz, etc... not that there's anything wrong with that.;) But, how would you say they are for HT, or rock n roll, played loud?

Jeff.......I suspect that the Guarneri Momento's would be perfect for home theater, although I am using my pair strictly for the two channel tube system. As for rock and roll, the GM's get down. Last night I played James House - Days Gone By, and David Gilmour - On An Island. The Momento's are no shrinking violets. They cranked out some rightous sound pressure, and did not disappoint me in anyway. The Momento's are not just for solo violin. guitar, and small ensembles, not by a long shot. When I played The Big Phat Band - XXL last night, I was floored at the clarity, detail, definition, and dynamics of the full on big band sound. The GM's can get down and boogie.

PHC1 12-03-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 51110)
Jeff.......I suspect that the Guarneri Momento's would be perfect for home theater, although I am using my pair strictly for the two channel tube system. As for rock and roll, the GM's get down. Last night I played James House - Days Gone By, and David Gilmour - On An Island. The Momento's are no shrinking violets. They cranked out some rightous sound pressure, and did not disappoint me in anyway. The Momento's are not just for solo violin. guitar, and small ensembles, not by a long shot. When I played The Big Phat Band - XXL last night, I was floored at the clarity, detail, definition, and dynamics of the full on big band sound. The GM's can get down and boogie.

I played quite a variety of music on them as well Dan. By the way, I wasn't suggesting they are only good for certain types of music such as acoustical instruments and intimate recordings. I was convinced however that they do sound simply magical with certain instruments, particularly stringed instruments. You have to consider the source of where they came from and what type of music the designer often listens to. :smoking: I suspect the symbiotic cabinet resonance bodes very well for those types of instruments as the harmonic bloom that emanates from them while playing those types of instruments is pretty incredible. Is it a coloration? Probably but what a pleasant one it is. :music:

Vintage Pete 12-03-2009 01:13 PM

Dan....I see you mention David Gilmour. Last weekend, I paid a visit to my local McIntosh dealer...I hadn't stopped in for some time. When I walked in, I was immediately intrigued by a concert DVD he was playing on one of his systems. It was the David Gilmour: Live at Robert Wayatt's meltdown. It was being played strictly 2 channel, with a relatively small pair of Focal speakers. He was alternating between a JL Audio F113 sub, and an REL sub. In both cases, the sound was superb.

Anyway, I think I will need this DVD. From what I saw of it, it was very interesting. Do you happen to have this one?

Pete

Vintage Pete 12-03-2009 01:16 PM

Serge...as I look at Dan's new SF's that he acquired from you, I can't help but think of the gorgeous pictures you had posted of your listening room. The mementos, and everything else, looked simply awesome! :thumbsup:

Pete

jdandy 12-03-2009 01:19 PM

Serge.......I understand, and agree with your statements. No problem. I was just trying to make it clear to Jeff that the GM's can rock. It is understood that the will not fill an auditorium with the sound pressure of live music, but in my comfortable and cozy listening environment thay fill the bill perfectly.

It's kind of cool to know where your beloved GM's now live, isn't it? At least you know they are not in the hands of some abusive stranger, never to be seen again. :lmao:

PHC1 12-03-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 51118)
Serge...as I look at Dan's new SF's that he acquired from you, I can't help but think of the gorgeous pictures you had posted of your listening room. The memntos, and everything else, looked simply awesome! :thumbsup:

Pete

Thanks Pete. While my current speaker that some here refer to as "robots" may not look quite as elegant in the room as the GM's did, I am very happy. :D

PHC1 12-03-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 51119)

It's kind of cool to know where your beloved GM's now live, isn't it? At least you know they are not in the hands of some abusive stranger, never to be seen again. :lmao:

Dan, most of the time I don't get emotionally attached to audio gear but every once in a while.... :D

I was very happy when you expressed interest in obtaining my pair that were still sitting on the dealer's floor. I was surprised no one snatched them up for the price and the condition but I guess it was their destiny to wind up in your possession. Special speakers for a special person. :yes:

Still-One 12-03-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 51119)
Serge.......

Dan, I might buy that from you, but Jerry can never get away with it. :whistle: