AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   SF Guarneri Memento Arrived (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2794)

Vintage Pete 12-03-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 51047)
Pete.......Thank you. I think when you've had the opportunity to hear these systems you will understand what great synergy has been created from the joining of these seperate components. All the big and little details come together in a most commendable way.

Dan...I have no doubt, and I am looking forward to it!! :yes:

Pete

PHC1 12-03-2009 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 51043)
Serge.......Thank you so much for letting me know about these wondeful speakers, and for taking such great care of them while in your possession. I will do the same for a long, long time. The GM's are magnificent speakers.

Dan, I am happy for you that you took the advice and decided to invest in the pristine condition pair of GM's. They brought me countless hours of listening pleasure. They will be a part of my "great gear" memories for sure. :yes: There is much satisfaction in owning a pair of speakers from the Sonus Faber "Homage" line. They are not only gorgeous to look at but they have a quality of sound about them that can be down right intoxicating. You'll know what I mean as you spend a few days listening to them. You will often come across recordings that will bring out their very best virtues. I suggest you start digging up some acoustic instrument recordings to get familiar with their qualities. Once you hear cello, violins, acoustic guitars on them, you will be in for a suprise. :yes: I am sure you will pick up on the fact that they are more refined sounding and able to convey the natural harmonic richness of instruments a bit more.

In terms of their condition, I always try to take great care of my audio gear since it is the one hobby that keeps me occupied for many hours and enjoyed daily. I am sure they will do the same for you. :music: Enjoy!

Waboman 12-03-2009 01:06 AM

Those are some gorgeous looking speakers, Dan. I bet they rock. Congrats!:thumbsup:

jdandy 12-03-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onemug (Post 51028)
Congrats Dan,

I've been following your threads waiting for your impressions. I would subscribe to a magazine if you wrote for them. You do a great job.

The thing that amazes me about the M's is the resolution in the bass. Do you know how long they have sat without being played? You might be in for even more enjoyment after they loosen up after awhile. You can thank Serge for breaking them in for you. :-)

Have you tried different taps on your 275? I know they are rated as 4 ohm speakers but I have gotten a nicer sound from the 8 ohm tap on some of my amps.

Enjoy and give us some more updates. You shurr rite purdy.

Onemug.......Thank you for the compliment about my writing. I appreciate that.

I have no idea how often the GM's might have been played while at the dealer in Pennsylvania. They were traded in about seven months ago, and sat on their stands in a showroom. They may not have remained silent the entire time. Don't worry though, they will be well broken in here.

I have not tried using any other taps than the 4 ohm taps on the MC275's. I am extremely satisfied with the Momento's performance just the way they are presently connected. You know the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :thumbsup:

jdandy 12-03-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'cisco (Post 51033)
Dan.....excellent review and pics :thumbsup:
I think you just pushed me over the edge with this thread :banana:.....I just sent a email to someone :D
......and wouldn't you know it, I'm watching "The Italian Job" tonight on FX :smoking:

'cisco.......I understand exactly what you are talking about, and now that I have experienced the GM's in my own system, I whole heartedly encourage you to move forward while the fruit is ripe for picking. That special opportunity may never come your way again.

jdandy 12-03-2009 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waboman (Post 51052)
Those are some gorgeous looking speakers, Dan. I bet they rock. Congrats!:thumbsup:

Jeff.......Thanks. You aren't kidding. These are mighty big little speakers. Just amazing.

PHC1 12-03-2009 01:32 AM

Dan, the GMs spend most of their time above 4 ohms. You can explore the 8 ohm tap but pay attention to the bass where they do drop down. I found that the 8 ohm tap sounded better at times and other times it was the 4. Then I figured it was the content of the recording in terms of bass that swayed my preference back and forth. I settled on 4 ohm as the permanent tap to use when I ran the 275.

http://www.stereophile.com/images/ar...807SFGFIG1.jpg

Waboman 12-03-2009 01:36 AM

Dan, I know the SF's are great for strings, classical, jazz, etc... not that there's anything wrong with that.;) But, how would you say they are for HT, or rock n roll, played loud?

schaefer11 12-03-2009 08:37 AM

Dan, congratulations on the purchase. Swapping out speakers has always brought me the most enjoyment.

But "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Since when have any of us followed that advice! :) And you have 3 systems I believe. Seems you are always out looking for something to be "broke" (and I am not referring to just your bank account). :)

I don't know how long from now it will be, but I look forward to your writing about your next quest to fix something that "ain't broke"!

jdandy 12-03-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schaefer11 (Post 51079)
But "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Since when have any of us followed that advice! :) And you have 3 systems I believe. Seems you are always out looking for something to be "broke" (and I am not referring to just your bank account). :)

I don't know how long from now it will be, but I look forward to your writing about your next quest to fix something that "ain't broke"!

schaefer11.......What can I say? :D