AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Member System Forum (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Robfine’s System (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=52469)

robfine 09-02-2023 12:35 PM

Robfine’s System

2 Attachment(s)
I made a pretty fundamental change in my system a couple of weeks ago. I was going to listen to it and write about it. So I listened… and listened some more… and I couldn’t find the words, so I listened some more. This has gone on for a couple of weeks now so the heck with it, I’ll just send pictures. The change in sound is significant (for the better) but I am still trying to best describe it so that will come soon… maybe…Attachment 69351

Attachment 69352

Note: the PrimaLuna predates the change.

Masterlu 09-02-2023 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nicely done, Rob! :ok:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1693672883

JazzMaster 09-02-2023 09:37 PM

Looks very nice, and I recognize many of your components.

robfine 09-03-2023 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 69360Thanks Ivan, thanks Jazzmaster. Griffon’s motto: “…perfect union of the power of the lion with the grace of the eagle” is not too far off based on two weeks of listening to their “baby” integrated.

Charles 09-03-2023 11:53 PM

Congratulations! The Gryphon 120 Integrated seems perfect for your excellent system. At 440 watts into 2 ohms, this means it is superbly built and also dual mono in design. This is a hidden gem that might be the best integrated amp on the market in its price range. How did you discover it? I read about it, very impressive. What are the boxes on the wall?

Best

Charles

robfine 09-04-2023 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1076646)
Congratulations! The Gryphon 120 Integrated seems perfect for your excellent system. At 440 watts into 2 ohms, this means it is superbly built and also dual mono in design. This is a hidden gem that might be the best integrated amp on the market in its price range. How did you discover it? I read about it, very impressive. What are the boxes on the wall?

Best

Charles

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the sentiment, and the compliment. When I got my Dyns, they sounded really nice with my PrimaLuna but I kept hearing that without more significant power I was not taking full advantage of what they could do. I got the PrimaLuna from Ivan something like 12 years ago and even though it sounds like new after full break-in, I was thinking maybe it was time for some “updating” as they say on the home improvement shows. For the past several years I have been starting to think about what would be on my “list” keeping in mind my room size, equipment, and importantly, what would be the “caliber” of likely upgrades so that whatever I ended up getting would not get outgrown by other subsequent changes. So on my upgrade list the early favorite was Accuphase E-650 and later the E-800. So what happened to them— climate change! I live in Miami! When I got the Prima, it was shortly after the model came out. A year later PL came out with the HP model (double the power from double the tubes). My room was comfortable with the PL I had gotten but I was not so confident about 8 Golden Lion EL-88s or Tung-Sol KT-120s or 150s.

I had seen some postings on AA by members who had the Diablo 300, the Diablo 12— and also someone who was auditioning the monoblocks (let me tell you, they are the size of Mini-Cooper). Whenever I saw anything about Gryphon there was never a negative word and the description of the sound seemed to be just to my liking. So as I was making up an updated list (to which I added Gryphon) I went to each manufacturer’s website. (Pass Labs lost out to climate change along with Accuphase). If I recall correctly, Gryphon’s website showed it only currently had two dealers in the US— one in San Francisco and the other about 15 minutes from my house— in a commercial wing of a historic hotel that I had gotten married in 36 years ago next week. I called the guy and a couple of weeks later went over and had a listen. I listened to some other equipment there— including Mac (but not like yours— MC w275 with a Mac pre (I forget which) — and I was just smittten. That listening session was with Joseph Audio Pulsars. Thewn I got to hear the Gryphon with my Dyns —> and you know what, them Danes get along with each other really well. So that’s how I ended up with the Gryphon.

The boxes on the wall you ask— would you believe me if I said “Stillpoints”? They are Stillpoints Apertures. They are just the most amazing (IMO) acoustic treatment. They ain’t cheap but I know a dealer who can make you a great deal— you know him too! I actually got mine in the AA Marketplace. My room is fairly small— about 12’6 x 16’3 with my speakers on the long wall. The back of the speakers are about 18” from the wall and each, about 7 feet on the diagonal from my ears. With those Apertures, my soundstage is like the wall the speakers are in front of is not even there— and even with my equipment and TV between them. They are a fabulous addition to listening rooms/spaces and do a number of different things. Ivan could tell you more. Thanks for asking. The room has really “grown up” this year!

Audiophilehi 09-05-2023 11:23 AM

That's a mighty Fine system! (Pun intended) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Charles 09-05-2023 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robfine (Post 1076654)
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the sentiment, and the compliment. When I got my Dyns, they sounded really nice with my PrimaLuna but I kept hearing that without more significant power I was not taking full advantage of what they could do. I got the PrimaLuna from Ivan something like 12 years ago and even though it sounds like new after full break-in, I was thinking maybe it was time for some “updating” as they say on the home improvement shows. For the past several years I have been starting to think about what would be on my “list” keeping in mind my room size, equipment, and importantly, what would be the “caliber” of likely upgrades so that whatever I ended up getting would not get outgrown by other subsequent changes. So on my upgrade list the early favorite was Accuphase E-650 and later the E-800. So what happened to them— climate change! I live in Miami! When I got the Prima, it was shortly after the model came out. A year later PL came out with the HP model (double the power from double the tubes). My room was comfortable with the PL I had gotten but I was not so confident about 8 Golden Lion EL-88s or Tung-Sol KT-120s or 150s.

I had seen some postings on AA by members who had the Diablo 300, the Diablo 12— and also someone who was auditioning the monoblocks (let me tell you, they are the size of Mini-Cooper). Whenever I saw anything about Gryphon there was never a negative word and the description of the sound seemed to be just to my liking. So as I was making up an updated list (to which I added Gryphon) I went to each manufacturer’s website. (Pass Labs lost out to climate change along with Accuphase). If I recall correctly, Gryphon’s website showed it only currently had two dealers in the US— one in San Francisco and the other about 15 minutes from my house— in a commercial wing of a historic hotel that I had gotten married in 36 years ago next week. I called the guy and a couple of weeks later went over and had a listen. I listened to some other equipment there— including Mac (but not like yours— MC w275 with a Mac pre (I forget which) — and I was just smittten. That listening session was with Joseph Audio Pulsars. Thewn I got to hear the Gryphon with my Dyns —> and you know what, them Danes get along with each other really well. So that’s how I ended up with the Gryphon.

The boxes on the wall you ask— would you believe me if I said “Stillpoints”? They are Stillpoints Apertures. They are just the most amazing (IMO) acoustic treatment. They ain’t cheap but I know a dealer who can make you a great deal— you know him too! I actually got mine in the AA Marketplace. My room is fairly small— about 12’6 x 16’3 with my speakers on the long wall. The back of the speakers are about 18” from the wall and each, about 7 feet on the diagonal from my ears. With those Apertures, my soundstage is like the wall the speakers are in front of is not even there— and even with my equipment and TV between them. They are a fabulous addition to listening rooms/spaces and do a number of different things. Ivan could tell you more. Thanks for asking. The room has really “grown up” this year!

Rob, what an interesting story about how you discovered Gryphon.

Exterior design by Flemming E. Rasmussen
Electronics design by Tom Møller
True Dual Mono configuration
Zero negative feedback
Microprocessor-controlled 46-step relay volume attenuator for best sonic performance featuring only up to 6 resistors in series with signal at all levels
Optional phonostage MM/MC module
Optional DAC PCM/DSD module with one USB, 1 BNC S/PDIF, 1 AES/EBU and 1 optical input
Digital formats. USB: PCM: 44.1kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 9 6kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz, 352.8 kHz and 384 kHz up to 32-bit.
USB: DSD (DoP); DSD64 (2.822 MHz, 3.072 MHz), DSD128 (5.644 MHz, 6.144 MHz).
USB Native DSD: DSD256* (11.2896 MHz) and DSD512* (22.5792 MHz) (currently, DSD256 and DSD512 only on Windows OS)
BNC S/PDIF and AES/EBU digital inputs: up to 192 kHz/32-bit
TOSLink: up to 96 kHz/24-bit
One optional module can be installed at time of purchase or later, either phonostage or DAC
Ultra-short signal path
Minimal internal wiring
Two to four-layer printed circuit boards up to 70µm copper
Dual Mono Holmgren toroidal transformer
PCB-mounted sockets eliminate wiring and shorten signal path
Gold-plated Swiss Neutric XLR sockets for one balanced source
Gold-plated phono sockets with Teflon insulation for four inputs and one Tape output
Fixed-level AV throughput for uncompromising integration with surround preamplifier
Graphical Vacuum Fluorescent Display with larger font for improved legibility
Adjustable display intensity (100%, 75%, 50%, 25%, Off)
12VDC link input and output
Flash memory upgrades via Key-Fob
Non-invasive protection system
Infrared remote control
EU CE approval
Standby power consumption < 0.5 W
Designed and built in Denmark
2 x 120 W @ 8Ω, 2 x 240 W @ 4Ω, 2 x 440 W @ 2Ω
Output impedance: 0.030Ω
Bandwidth (-3 dB): 0.1 Hz to 250 kHz
Power Supply Capacity: 2 x 60,000 µF
Gain: +38 dB
Input Impedance, balanced (20-20,000 Hz): 40 kΩ
Input Impedance, single-ended (20-20,000 Hz): 8 kΩ

I was trying to find something to eliminate from the above but couldn't. All this goody for only 11K! This has to be one of the best integrated's available today. I think your comments on climate change are on point. Although my MC3500's put out about 500 watts they run cool as a cucumber, probably no hotter than your 120's (maybe less) although they have 8 high power output tubes/ch. I think manufacturers must consider the heat their big amps are radiating into the environment. My 1.25KW's put out more heat than my 3500's. My XVX require a lot of current especially when driven to high sound levels and the 1.25's can get so hot they are hard to touch. The 3500's only become slightly warm. I never notice the heat radiated by either amp. I am considering a large purchase: MCD12000 DAC+ C12000 pre. Since I bought my 3500's I can't get them out of my system. My hope would be to wake my big boys on either end up by running the tube signal path provided by these new Mac's and thus eliminate that slight midrange/treble edge that I don't hear through my 3500's; also to ripen up the upper bass, i.e. to make my 1.25's sound like my 3500's. :D

Best

Charles

https://i.imgur.com/QZRfAPRl.jpg

audiogear 09-06-2023 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rob, beautiful Dyns and Gryphon combo! These are a couple brands I would love to someday demo. Congratulations and enjoy!

Charles, the MCD12000+C12000+MC3500 MkIIs would be a killer setup, literally!

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1694036404