AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Automobiles (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   2021 Porsche 911 Targa 4S Review - Big Beautiful Glass! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48891)

PHC1 10-21-2020 01:59 PM

2021 Porsche 911 Targa 4S Review - Big Beautiful Glass!

I am not a huge fan of full convertibles as there is often just too much wind, turbulence and I don't like the full exposure. :D The open air motoring however has always been a big plus for me. My solution has been in the form of Targa or Targa like styles. From the Mazda Miata RF to my current Jeep Rubicon with the One touch Sky Top.

While I have owned quite a few Porsche cars over the years, both coupes, suv's and convertible Boxsters, I have never actually owned a Targa 911. :no:

I am certain that if I would to consider another 911 in my life, it would be a Targa. To me it is the best all around solution. :thumbsup:

How about you? Does the Targa appeal to you or not at all?

2021 Porsche 911 Targa 4S review. https://youtu.be/bp5q3_5pB68

Masterlu 10-21-2020 02:04 PM

Personally, I have never been a Targa fan. Although, I have owned about 10 convertible/spyders over the years, they are not my cup of tea either. :dunno:

FRO 10-21-2020 02:22 PM

Too hot in Texas!

PHC1 10-21-2020 02:44 PM

What does Jay Leno think of the 2021 Targa 4S? https://youtu.be/TGS8QyheQz0

Jean-Marc jmajma 10-21-2020 06:18 PM

The problem with the Targa is you can’t drive over 90 or 100 km/h : there is a very strong turbulence which is very uncomfortable and destroys the pleasure, my dealer warned me about that and I bought the cabriolet 991.2 4 GTS.

Otherwise I find her to be very elegant and beautiful.

Formerly YB-2 10-21-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1018441)
I am certain that if I would to consider another 911 in my life, it would be a Targa. To me it is the best all around solution. :thumbsup:

How about you? Does the Targa appeal to you or not at all?

My '65 356SC was an electric sunroof (very rare) and my '73 911E was a Targa. I put over 100K miles on each and the Targa was not only quiet with the roof off (easy to carry on a conversation/listen to the radio, etc. at normal highway speed), it also had the most comfortable seat of any car we've owned. It was a terrific car. Noise became intrusive when going by a truck and such, but on its own it was quiet. Only drawback was it had a clutch. I no longer do a clutch. Do wonder if the newer Targa works so well aerodynamically?

Just looked at your utube post. That is exactly the color scheme of my '73 Targa. Only difference is my bow was polished stainless (the standard for the day) rather than black as on the '21 model. On mine there were a couple of small levers that released the roof panel and once removed had hinges that allowed to be collapsed and fit into the 'boot'. Took up some space, but not bad. To me, the automated roof panel and rear window are silly. But, I still prefer LPs.

PHC1 10-22-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1018495)
My '65 356SC was an electric sunroof (very rare) and my '73 911E was a Targa. I put over 100K miles on each and the Targa was not only quiet with the roof off (easy to carry on a conversation/listen to the radio, etc. at normal highway speed), it also had the most comfortable seat of any car we've owned. It was a terrific car. Noise became intrusive when going by a truck and such, but on its own it was quiet. Only drawback was it had a clutch. I no longer do a clutch. Do wonder if the newer Targa works so well aerodynamically?

Just looked at your utube post. That is exactly the color scheme of my '73 Targa. Only difference is my bow was polished stainless (the standard for the day) rather than black as on the '21 model. On mine there were a couple of small levers that released the roof panel and once removed had hinges that allowed to be collapsed and fit into the 'boot'. Took up some space, but not bad. To me, the automated roof panel and rear window are silly. But, I still prefer LPs.

Nice! Thanks for sharing Glenn. Hard to believe but the Targa has been a part of the 911 lineup since ‘67. Here is a “deep dive” into history of the targa. :thumbsup: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/p...photo-gallery/

Formerly YB-2 10-22-2020 07:59 PM

In 2006 my Boulder friend & I rode from the ranger station to the top of Mt. Evans on our road bikes. While we were there three Porsches in camouflage arrived at the top. The German engineers driving them would not discuss the cars at all other then to admit that they were Porsches. Zero discussion or questions answered. One was a Targa, which was difficult to identify as the camo covered the skin of the car so well. And, of course, no camera by either of us while they were there.

PHC1 10-22-2020 08:52 PM

Porsche level of perfection requires talented designers, great attention to detail and enormous amount of testing and tweaking. :yes: They really do go to great lengths to make sure every model is der fantastische

When I was picking up my first GT3, I was told to enjoy my first tank of German grade fuel because the car will never feel the same with our fuel. They were spot on. The exhaust even smelled different :D It was never quite the same after with our additives. :no:

antipop 10-29-2020 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma (Post 1018483)
The problem with the Targa is you can’t drive over 90 or 100 km/h : there is a very strong turbulence which is very uncomfortable and destroys the pleasure, my dealer warned me about that and I bought the cabriolet 991.2 4 GTS.

Otherwise I find her to be very elegant and beautiful.

Agreed. I rented one in Germany and anything about 70km/h was too much.

Anyway I'm a coupe guy so I went for the GT3. I'm just back from a 2000 miles round trip in Scotland and it was an absolute blast.

That being said my wife loves the design of the Targa and it's on her list.