AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   My Last Hurrah (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46148)

Masterlu 06-30-2019 05:48 PM

My Last Hurrah

I have been giving an awful lot of thought to building one very last system.

None of us are getting any younger, nor can we take our Worldly possessions with us.

So, I was thinking about something Very Special. Space is more of a concern for me, than cost.

If I do move forward, I would want something substantially different than I already have.

Maybe I’m just babbling...

DVass13 06-30-2019 06:07 PM

Something like this?

Can't seem to get the picture sized correctly on the phone :-/

j3brow 06-30-2019 06:11 PM

What could you possibly improve upon ?? Scrapping an existing system and replace .... or entirely new room???

j3brow 06-30-2019 06:15 PM

How about purchasing a getaway home in New Orleans’ garden district and outfit it with one last great system. Dine on world class cuisine, hear live music every night, and then hear it reproduced to perfection at home. I will pop in now and then and make sure the staff is keeping it tidy for your arrival [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

cdobson 06-30-2019 06:30 PM

Masterlu - I can only think of the many, many dream systems you have brokered, advised, and facilitated...islands of sound around the world.

Masterlu 06-30-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3brow (Post 970919)
What could you possibly improve upon ?? Scrapping an existing system and replace .... or entirely new room???

I won’t scrap anything. :no:

NZ421291 06-30-2019 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about something different- say bringing together a mint 70's- 80's classic system,

eg: Pioneer Silver Series (with racks), Infinity IRS Betas or Quads (Stacked), Transcription Turntable, Reel to Reel etc. Modern cabling/power cords would be the only exception.

It would be fun hunting down mint components or refurbishing them.

It would certainly have people talking & wanting to listen to the best from yesteryears.

I know this is left field, but I have a soft spot for classic HiFi.

Taylode 06-30-2019 07:00 PM

I've got the perfect room for you!:shadesrock:

W9TR 06-30-2019 07:59 PM

So starting with the speakers, if I recall correctly all of your systems use multi-driver arrays in sophisticated enclosures; the Aida’s, XRT-2K, XCS2K, XRT-27’s in the theater(s), TAD Reference One, Ariel Acoustics V20-something, Canton Ref 3,5; Bryston Model T’s - and everything that went before them.

Whew - Tom stops to take a sip of his G&T.

How about something completely different, speaker wise?

Electrostatics? Too finicky with placement and subwoofer integration. Narrow sweet spot. Nope.

Planar dynamics - small sweet spot, finicky placement, challenging subwoofer integration. Nope.

Single driver lowther-type loudspeakers - just no.

So by process of elimination that leaves the MBL Radialstrahler MBL 101 X-Treme.

You’ll need a bit of space for these, I think, but if you want something really different this is the right place to start.

jimtranr 06-30-2019 08:24 PM

I just checked my calendar, and even allowing for the time-zone difference that separates us, tomorrow's First will belong to July, not April.

Masterlu 06-30-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 970939)
I just checked my calendar, and even allowing for the time-zone difference that separates us, tomorrow's First will belong to July, not April.

No joke about it, I’m seriously thinking about it.

Chad.Wagner 06-30-2019 09:33 PM

Nice!

jzzmusician 06-30-2019 09:36 PM

I second the MBL's and would throw in consideration of some horns.

- Bob

greekgod 06-30-2019 09:41 PM

Perhaps a pair of Von Schweikert speakers driven by some VAC Statement 450iQ amps.

tima 06-30-2019 10:16 PM

Is this predicated on being a dealer/distributor for the components in this final system? Or is it strictly personal?

Masterlu 06-30-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tima (Post 970951)
Is this predicated on being a dealer/distributor for the components in this final system? Or is it strictly personal?

Strictly personal, good question!

Puma Cat 06-30-2019 10:36 PM

I recommend something based around....Harbeths.

audioguy3107 06-30-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 970954)

Interesting idea Ivan, even though you mentioned it's personal and not dealer/selling related, I know you're probably thinking new, but I think this would be a lot of fun not to mention a little bit educational. I think it would be incredibly interesting to put together a state of the art system circa a certain time....not vintage but maybe something from the early 90's when the high end really started taking off with Mark Levinson, Krell, B&W etc. You've already heard and owned state of the art so unless you went ape$%^& and did some insane $2,000,000 system, would you really gain and or learn anything about what you're putting together other than it sounds good and costs a lot?

If I were in your position, I would LOVE to put together a state of the art system, say, from 1990. I would wait until you see some pristine offerings on the used/dealer mkt. and let's say off the top of my head.....

Amplification: a pair of Krell FPB 350 monoblocks, Krell Audio Standards (that would be my choice), Mark Levinson No. 33 monos , or Classe Omegas paired with the appropriate preamps

Speakers: Here's where it would be fun, lots on interesting designs to choose from but my short list would be Sonus Faber Extremas (originals), original B&W Nautilus (the snails), or original Focal JM labs Utopias

source: I'd keep the source somewhat current, you wouldn't want to listen to an old California Audio Labs CD player but maybe pick up an analog front end that would interest you

I know it's probably not what you're thinking but it would be a hell of a lot of fun to compare and contrast state of the art then vs. state of the art now and compare notes. Most of us definitely don't have the space even if we did have the funds! Be kind of a fun diversion unless it sounded like crap! :D

- Buck

Masterlu 06-30-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 970959)
Interesting idea Ivan, even though you mentioned it's personal and not dealer/selling related, I know you're probably thinking new, but I think this would be a lot of fun not to mention a little bit educational. I think it would be incredibly interesting to put together a state of the art system circa a certain time....not vintage but maybe something from the early 90's when the high end really started taking off with Mark Levinson, Krell, B&W etc. You've already heard and owned state of the art so unless you went ape$%^& and did some insane $2,000,000 system, would you really gain and or learn anything about what you're putting together other than it sounds good and costs a lot?

If I were in your position, I would LOVE to put together a state of the art system, say, from 1990. I would wait until you see some pristine offerings on the used/dealer mkt. and let's say off the top of my head.....

Amplification: a pair of Krell FPB 350 monoblocks, Krell Audio Standards (that would be my choice), Mark Levinson No. 33 monos , or Classe Omegas paired with the appropriate preamps

Speakers: Here's where it would be fun, lots on interesting designs to choose from but my short list would be Sonus Faber Extremas (originals), original B&W Nautilus (the snails), or original Focal JM labs Utopias

source: I'd keep the source somewhat current, you wouldn't want to listen to an old California Audio Labs CD player but maybe pick up an analog front end that would interest you

I know it's probably not what you're thinking but it would be a hell of a lot of fun to compare and contrast state of the art then vs. state of the art now and compare notes. Most of us definitely don't have the space even if we did have the funds! Be kind of a fun diversion unless it sounded like crap! :D

- Buck

Buck... your suggestion has a lot of merit, but let me share a few things about myself and how it may relate to an Audio System.

I have been extremely fortunate in my prior business; Financial Firm Owner. I’m not very fond of buying anything used; homes, cars, audio gear, etc.

The exception is if I am able to find a “Time Capsule”. I have found on very rare occasion older/vintage gear still sealed in the box. It’s not that something in mint condition is bad, or a deal killer. I just prefer brand new State of the Art, however I will consider your idea/proposal more than I would have previously. :ok:

TommyC 06-30-2019 11:19 PM

Ivan, have you tried any Swiss gear before?

audioguy3107 06-30-2019 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 970961)
Buck... your suggestion has a lot of merit, but let me share a few things about myself and how it may relate to an Audio System.

I have been extremely fortunate in my prior business; Financial Firm Owner. I’m not very fond of buying anything used; homes, cars, audio gear, etc.

The exception is if I am able to find a “Time Capsule”. I have found on very rare occasion older/vintage gear still sealed in the box. It’s not that something in mint condition is bad, or a deal killer. I just prefer brand new State of the Art, however I will consider your idea/proposal more than I would have previously. :ok:

Yeah, I was thinking about reliability/trouble as I was typing knowing there really is no way to control that ahead of time, even if you're buying from a reputable source, it's luck of the draw when you're talking equipment of that age. It would be a ton of fun though if it did "work out".

Antonmb 07-01-2019 12:00 AM

How about taking a Europe vacation and visit a few manufacturers? There are many smaller boutique manufacturers in Europe we don’t see in the states.

Also many European manufacturers make equipment designed for smaller living spaces. An interesting challenge might be to build the best “small room” system you can. Or an all-British or all-French system.

PHC1 07-01-2019 12:42 AM

Well, if it is "The Last" system and "something very special", then I only have one suggestion.

http://cdn.dandagostino.com/images/p...onoblock_1.jpg

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipmen...lson_alexx.jpg

Masterlu 07-01-2019 12:58 AM

Serge... one of your pics are a contender. ;)

PHC1 07-01-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 970976)
Serge... one of your pics are a contender. ;)

They go together like PB&J. Seriously. Have Wilson paint whatever pair you choose a special color. Ferrari Red? :D

PHC1 07-01-2019 01:10 AM

Rosso Corsa, Giallo Modena? Possibilities are virtually unlimited and I'm sure Wilson would be game. :yes:

https://www.lmche.com/wp-content/upl...le-600x797.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/images/0...Wilson-600.jpg

tima 07-01-2019 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 970954)

Excellent. Obviously this removes preconditions and allows boundaries to stretch to your satisfaction.

Without knowing your preferences and given a willingness to consider something different, if I had this opportunity I'd start with the transducers: speakers and source components. Take my time and perhaps an 'audio vacation' to visit a few select showrooms to learn/reaffirm what sounds from various approaches - what sonic characters - are possible. Some comparison by real world listening is a good thing. Imo there are few new revelations.

Myself, I'd look at Vox/Living Voice (Kevin Scott) and Cessaro horn speakers along with the Wilson WAMM (John Giolas) - at least hear it. :-)

matt_zak 07-01-2019 01:33 AM

There are a lot of options out there. I'm sure you'll pick speakers and decide on the rest of the gear around it. So for speakers that are different than what you currently use I would look at: Avantgarde, Estelon, MBL, Tidal, Wilson & Zellaton. Electronics different than what you have: Boulder, CH Precision, D'Agostino, FM Acoustics, Gryphon & MSB.

Your systems are so amazing already that you've got a fun journey ahead. Like Serge mentioned, Wilson & D'Agostino are like PB&J. I would go with Lamborghini Orange though. :smoking:

For The Love of Music 07-01-2019 01:47 AM

My Last Hurrah

Relentless over Wilson has to be the contender for consideration since it was indicated space is the issue, and your electrical foundation is essentially in place, but if the case what speakers would address Relentless given space is the concern?

Rojet2015 07-01-2019 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 970935)

So by process of elimination that leaves the MBL Radialstrahler MBL 101 X-Treme.

You’ll need a bit of space for these, I think, but if you want something really different this is the right place to start.

Yes, MBL.

2fastdriving 07-01-2019 02:28 AM

As much as I love Wilson, I think mbl is a great idea. Very different, and very awesome!

antipop 07-01-2019 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 970962)

It would be interesting to build a system around some Nagra. It would be smaller and more intimist than the systems you already have.

I could see something for the more quiet moments rather than for the full out events (you have the Aida system for that).

Or just say f** it and get the top of the line Boulder everything.

JemHadar 07-01-2019 06:31 AM

My Last Hurrah

They may not be "the last word" in pinpoint accurate imaging, but when it comes to pure unadulterated and visceral musical enjoyment the MBL Radialstrahler mbl 101 X-tremes are something else. They make the McIntosh XRT2K feel, ahem, inadequate. Truly one of the very few "End Game" speakers on the planet.

I'm sure a visit to the factory can be arranged.

carlthess40 07-01-2019 08:21 AM

First off
How much do you want to spend
How large is the room
What type of format of audio do you want to use

W9TR 07-01-2019 08:41 AM

A Dag powered MBL setup might be interesting. Four relentless amps, two for the bass towers and two for the mains.

SCAudiophile 07-01-2019 09:20 AM

Relentless sounded great in Munich but frankly you can spend less on amps to get equivalent sound...

miner 07-01-2019 10:53 AM

I can't make a suggestion since my tastes are a bit budget controled, but will enjoy following this thread. Any thought on total budget involved?

Masterlu 07-01-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 971011)
I can't make a suggestion since my tastes are a bit budget controled, but will enjoy following this thread. Any thought on total budget involved?

Kevin... I have not even given the budget a thought.

audio bill 07-01-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 971015)
Kevin... I have not even given the budget a thought.

That's the way to go... as long as it's in your budget to do so! :D

Still-One 07-01-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 970962)

Swiss gear might be too neutral. :D :D